How hard is it..

Tuesday

Forum Ride Along
Hey,
I'm new here. But I've been lurking for a while and searching through the forums for an answer to this, but anyway..

How hard is it to find a job in EMS if you have little or no experience driving?
Currently I just have a learner's permit, and hopefully by the time I finish my EMT-B course I'll have a license. But will being a new driver hold me back in EMS? Will it keep me from getting hired anywhere?

I hope not, because I really want to do this and continue on with my education until I'm a paramedic.

Prophet

Forum Probie
Most places aren't going to care as long as you have your license and if your state requires an extension you will need that as well. Oh and keep your driving record clean.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Hey,
I'm new here. But I've been lurking for a while and searching through the forums for an answer to this, but anyway..

How hard is it to find a job in EMS if you have little or no experience driving?
Currently I just have a learner's permit, and hopefully by the time I finish my EMT-B course I'll have a license. But will being a new driver hold me back in EMS? Will it keep me from getting hired anywhere?

I hope not, because I really want to do this and continue on with my education until I'm a paramedic.

What you need to look into is if you state has an EVOC/AVOC requirement... and see what those requirements are.

atticrat

Forum Crew Member
Some services require you to be 21 for insurance purposes, some don't. Call the ones you are interested in and ask them.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
You will probably still need EVOC to drive the ambulance though. Regardless of experience. And really, I've been driving for over a decade and EVOC still taught me a thing or two about driving. So take it anyway.