How do you make your money?

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Wow, very few paid medics....

I make my fortune in EMS as a Paramedic, and do the nursing gig to pay the bills...

R/r 911

LOL Rid. We both know you don't make :censored::censored::censored::censored: working EMS in OK.

emtd29

Forum Lieutenant
Cable Guy. (and NO My name ain't Larry. or Jim Carrey)

Epi-do

I see dead people

I make my fortune in EMS as a Paramedic, and do the nursing gig to pay the bills...

R/r 911

Now that is funny! If only you could truly make a fortune in EMS... Alas, wishful thinking. I still wouldn't trade my job as a civilian EMT with the fire dept for anything in the world though.

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
fulltime ff/emt and medic student. Work part time on a private amb if I need any money. Wouldn't trade my job for any other.

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant

R/r 911

I will be a f/t paid EMT tomorrow when I accept 1 of 2 offers in the morning that I've been mulling over for a week. I will (hopefully) be a paid f/t medic in about 2 yrs. I'm starting school next quarter but will be doing core stuff for a bit.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I pull down 50 a year base salary with a 48 hour work week so I actually make pretty decent money as a Paramedic, especially with no state taxes. We get annual raises that bump you 2-3 k yearly until we top out at 63k a year. If you're an FTO and consistently have interns and new hires you can get close 70k/year without any OT but you'd have to have a new hire or intern on every one of your shifts and already be topped out on the pay scale. I work for a private agency contracted under a Public Utility Model.

But with that said, I like nice things so I work on cars on the side. Usually charge 20-30/hr (depending on if I like you or not) plus parts then just have my friend look up the time in AllData at his shop and bill it at that despite how long it takes me like any shop will do. I've had people :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: and change their minds because it's "too expensive" only to come back in a day or two with the parts because they went to a shop and got quoted 3-4 times the hourly I quoted them. Just do simple stuff, brakes, oil changes, spark plugs. I don't really have the capabilities to do diagnostics beyond pulling codes and I don't do heavy line work, because I don't want to deal with dropping transmissions and what not on my days off in my driveway. At the house I grew up in we had a garage with an air system, BendPak 10k two post lift, a boat load of tools, it was the dream home garage. I miss it. I'd do pretty much anything when I lived there because I had the lift, a cherry picker, the air tools, a motor lift a transmission lift. All the goodies.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I've been averaging about 65k as a medic, plus I still do some consulting on the side, write an occasional article and do the odd project work for old clients... that's another 10 or 15k. My wife is a vet, so between us we do okay. No sales tax here, low cost of living and a decent retirement. Honestly, the medic gig is easy money and covers my insurance. It gives me lots of free time to do the other stuff I'm interested in.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Save. Try to pick up extra shifts, do not live extravagantly beyond your means.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Got involved with a nurse,,, and started a printing press... at my house in the witness protection program.. Hope the mafia doesn't find me :ph34r:

J/K. I work full time and go to school pretty much full time. I do odd jobs like working on cars mainly for just play money and hobby I am a "RETIRED" automotive tech, so that means I take the jobs I want and avoid the ones I can. I still hate working on my own cars cause the cash register doesn't ring for me doing that.

EMS in the right gig and location as previously proven in this thread can rake you decent dough, You just can't underbid your services. Private companies often prey on newbies cause they know they want experience and they can pay them peanuts, if you feel there is better than beating your head off the back of a ambulance for 70 or more hours a week between 2 jobs. There probably is get well educated stay on top of your game and stay above the pack you'll find a good job.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I work in a medical clinic ( oilfield). Base pay out here is usually 110-130+ k a year. The company I work for has nurses and EMT-P/ACPs in the same pay bands. Some companies provide flights a well. For the most part we have no expenses as food and living quarters is provided for us. I work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off 12 hour shifts. I live on the east coast an work in northern Alberta. We also have expended scope in a few clinics. Antibiotics and suturing for example. We do the occasional transport or intercept but for the most part we are it. the closest hospital can be anywhere from 1-5 hours away. Trauma Center even further.

MrJones

Iconoclast
Spending over 20 years in the military guarantees that I get a check every month until the day I die. Medic is my 2nd career and effectively covers the 'nice to haves' after my retirement check covers the 'have to haves'.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
US Army Medic

Since I stopped contracting, I went back to working for Uncle Sam, I also work ski patrol in the winters.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I go to work once every four days. I'll teach every now and then if I'm feeling frisky.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I go to work once every four days. I'll teach every now and then if I'm feeling frisky.

Hey, no one wants to hear about how big your hose is.

or your salary :p