How do you get the patients into the ambulance?

How do you move (lift) patients into the ambulance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AmbuLift

Forum Probie
I'd like to find out how you all move the patients into the ambulance if the patient can not walk on their own

Last edited by a moderator:

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Usually on the cot, but if its an extremely BLS call and the patient would like to walk, they just get on through the side door.

saskvolunteer

Forum Lieutenant
Generally a heroic, slow motion fireman carry does it.

If all else fails, then I guess we use the cot.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Using the ABC's airway, breathing, can you walk to the rig.

We use ferno by muscle power. Where I used to work and everywhere I did ride time used the stryker power cots.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Firefighters...work great!!!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Wow we have some rude posters here. Lift and push or push button then push.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Fire is technacially allowed to be at the controls of the gurney.

I have no problem loading the gurney in by muscle power. If the patient is heavy then myself and the medic will lift the gurney and fire will raise the bottom for us.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Levitation.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Mechanical no hydraulics or anything.

If the patient is like mental health or other minor ailment walk them up onto the ambulance. No everyone needs to be stretchered on, or on the stretcher during transport. Some people eve request to sit up in the seat instead.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Lift and push.

For the heavy ones I wish we had the automatic ones.

But for others It really doesnt matter.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Magic

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Thanks - but how does the cot get into the vehicle - do you push it in?

No our cots are powered by gerbils in little wheels.

Seriously though, we have mechanical cots that have a couple of buttons to raise/lower the wheels. Requires very little strength on our part.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
What the OP has to realize is that some random engineering school student, budding entrepreneur, or the like comes to this board once a month asking the same question, hoping to come up with a better way, then never comes back once they get the input.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I still like Linuss's original answer.

We use stryker power pros. Catch the catch bar on the head of the cot, lift the foot end, press the - button, slide it in then lock it into place.

If they are fat two point it, of they are really fat call for the barbaric unit and use the cool ramps and winch :D

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
We have fernos, so we just push it in. The landing gear retracts as it comes in. We generally run 3 man crews but even with two guys there is almost never a patient too heavy to get into the truck this way. The limiting step is usually getting the pt onto the cot. Most of them can stand to some degree so we support their weight and pivot them into the stretcher-chair. If they are too big and can't stand and are lying on the ground, we can put the stretcher all the way to the ground and kinda just roll them onto it or a backboard while we wait for our engine to get there to help.

I dislike the stryker power cots. They are good for IFT, but in the field, they are more trouble than they are worth. First you have to support the weight while the landing gear retracts. Second, in the field, they can't go to chair mode so pivitoting someone is out of the question. Third, when all the way down, they are still about 6-9 inches off the ground so someone on the ground still needs to be lifted that high. And 4th, when you are in rough terrain, you gotta pick up the cot, and with all of that gear on it it adds at elast 75 lbs if not more.