How did you start your EMS career?

JMFL

Forum Probie
Hey guys, like all of us, we have to start somewhere. How did you start? BLS? ALS? Ambulance service tech?

I have everything I need to start as an EMT-B here in California. I am up in arms where to start. I got lucky because i get to choose. Should i start with a BLS transfer company 30 mins away? Or should I start as an ambulance service tech (the dude who stocks ambulances) for a company who has the 911 contract in my county. This company does have a good reputation, and is growing. The manager also told me that i will be a candidate for an EMT position once a position opens up.

This brings me to a dilemma, should i start at a BLS company or go right in? I dont have much experience in an ambulance. I am sure working in the back with the supplies should let me know where things are for a bit, and I am sure they will let me ride-along.

Where did you guys start? Advice from the pro's?

Tommerag

What day is it?
An indication of when the company with the 911 service will be hiring? If its not to far in the future and you want to run 911 calls you may want to consider that route and maybe get a part time at a BLS service if thats possible.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
With the VST spot at the 911 company, you will usually get into the EMT spot. It just depends on when they will be hiring for that position. If you only want to do BLS then apply at the BLS service. As for ride outs as a VST it depends on the company. One of my friends was a VST and then got certified as an EMT. He was unable to do ride outs with the company. And when he went to change from a VST to an EMT he was told "we are going to have open positions in 1 to 3 months. We will interview you for the EMT position at that time." and yes being a VST will let you learn where everything in the ambulance is. And also gives you insite into the company.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh yea, I am certified

I had an aunt that was certified, she ended up at bellevue,,,:rolleyes:

Hehe, J/k...

I might consider that stocking job with the understanding to your seniors that you expect to get moved up to an EMT position at a later date. It would be a good way to get into a good company and allow you time to get a feel for the company and how it operates. Heck, if it does not work out for you, there is always your two-week notice option.

OP
OP
J

JMFL

Forum Probie
That seems like it would benefit me most. Hell, the BLS company doesnt even have a website lol

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
I started off as a Cadet on a volunteer squad when I was 16. Both of my parents are Paramedics, and told me to give it a try to see if I'd like it. I went through EMT-B school a month after joining. When I turned 18 I started working for a for a paid service doing some municipal 911 contracts, as well as IFT's. After 6 years as an EMT-B I became a Paramedic, and three years later here I am...

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
My interest in EMS was piqued when I started a First Responder course at a local rescue squad. The instructor kept saying things like, "If you go on to EMT school, then you will be doing this, or that". I found it intensely interesting.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
My parents were volunteers on the rescue squad. I joined them as a junior when I was 14. I'm still at it, and am raising people who think it seems like a good time. We'll see if the generational thing works out.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I would take the stocking position; with the understanding of moving up; and overtime shifts on the street.

I started at my FT job as a Wheelchair Van Driver; and some weeks had more hours on an ambulance.

johnmedic

Forum Crew Member
I'm not saying the BLS agency would be a bad decision, but I'd bet good money that you'll regret it if you don't choose the 911 ALS service.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
My parents were volunteers on the rescue squad. I joined them as a junior when I was 14. I'm still at it, and am raising people who think it seems like a good time. We'll see if the generational thing works out.

Hadn't taken the time to think of EMS in those terms. SOMETHING must be gaining traction because you're talking three generations; that's a Family Tradition!

Thanks for that!

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
They have people that stock the ambulances??? Wow, I did not know that! Around here we all stock our own units!

We use VSTs. We have two central bases. We need to be on the street in 15 min. or less. Also at the end of shift we can go back with 30 minutes left. It is alot cheaper to keep us on the street earning money and have the VST clean up after us

calebsheltonmed23

Forum Probie
We use VSTs. We have two central bases. We need to be on the street in 15 min. or less. Also at the end of shift we can go back with 30 minutes left. It is alot cheaper to keep us on the street earning money and have the VST clean up after us

Huh. If it works, it works! I take it you work in a big city?

EMT Dan

Forum Probie
I started without any background in EMS or medical anything. I was interested in learning how to be an EMT, and took a course.

It wasn't until after the class that I started thinking that maybe it would be nice to put some of the whole classroom learnin' into practice and I joined a volunteer fire department.

Later down the line maybe I'll find time to go through paramedic school. The only issue is that, while I really like being an EMT and enjoy continuing on, I don't plan on making it a full-time paid career.

18G

Paramedic
I joined my local FD Explorers Post when I was 14. The FD had no EMS involvement but I got some exposure to it passively and it seemed like something I liked more then fire. I started the EMT program when I was 16 and passed. At 18 I was old enough to join the EMS Department in my town as a volunteer and I got hired by a private transport company. From there I worked in EMS ever since eventually making it to Paramedic.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown was accosted by a nymphomaniac, man girdle wearing, alcoholic former spaceship Captain and lawyer carrying a Lifepak 10 who regularly appeared on TV Tuesday nights in 1991 and the rest is history

clibb

Forum Captain

If we were to get back to our station for people to restock our ambulances, it would take longer than 15 min. I can't remember the time where it took me more than 10 min to restock my ambulance. I just do it when my partner is doing the hand off report and paper work, vise versa.