Houston and Surrounding communities

Action942Jackson

Forum Crew Member
My wife and I are looking to relocate to Spring, TX and I'm just curious what is out there for a paramedic with numerous years of 9-1-1 experience.

I've already tried MCHD and MedStar, but sadly they're not currently hiring. I have apps in for both places, just waiting for something to pop up and while doing so looking to see of anyone knows anything else around there as its not very well known on the internet exactly what agency does what besides HFD and MCHD. I have a critical care background but can't fly due to weight requirements.

Thanks.

krtemt

Forum Crew Member
Check Austin County EMS, Cy Creek EMS, Fayette County EMS, and Washington County EMS. There is also waller county they have an EMS company as well. Galveston has their own EMS system I think.

OP
OP
A

Action942Jackson

Forum Crew Member
So, I know Austin is hiring, but they're about 3 hour of a drive from where I would be living. Plus, having to come in at the EMT level (Medic I) position for a minimum of 2 years is baloney. Don't get me wrong time to learn their system is needed, but not 2 years. 6 months, yes. But money talks. If they want to pay me more then their 43k a year base, lets do business LOL. The other agencies you listed, are they large or small rural services? Pay scales?

My ultimate goal is MCHD, they have hell of a system and they're not too busy. I say that term loosely.

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
I take it we're talking "no fire cert", correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Cypress Creek has a few openings I believe. They seem to be in one of their turnover phases.

MCHD is an ok system, but not quite the cats meow it used to be. A lot of recent managerial changes that haven't completely proven themselves yet. Keep your options open.

Harris County Emergency Corp is another great alternative. Great medicine, high diversity in patient populations, and plenty of calls to keep you up to speed.

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
Harris County Emergency Corp is another great alternative. Great medicine, high diversity in patient populations, and plenty of calls to keep you up to speed.

Totally agree! I did quite a few clinicals with HCEC and was blown away by the medicine, the "diversity" and how busy we stayed. I'd highly recommend them!!

krtemt

Forum Crew Member
Plus Harris County Emergency Corps MD is cool.

I know with Cy Creek and HCEC they are a combination department. They have both volunteers and paid staff. I volunteer as a basic with Cy Creek. From what I seen they are a pretty good group of people. They are friendly and laid back, and I havent seen any type of drama. Of course last night was my first shift with them.

HCEC like Flight LP is another great alternative. I have had a chance to look at their protocols and their medics can do almost anything as long as they can justify it. Dr. Kiss is their medical director, and also the medical Director for the school that I am in. Their crews seem friendly and cordial. They didnt mind showing me their last night at 250 in the morning.

Another one to look into, altough I dont know much about them is Harris county EMS.

OP
OP
A

Action942Jackson

Forum Crew Member
SweetPete, you are correct. I got into this career field because of the medicine, as a short track to being able to play a doc without 8 years of schooling and 500k in debt. But the longer I've been in this career field, the 500k debt would of been worth it. LOL. I started in a busy (100k runs) county based system in Florida back in '04, which WAS the cats meow (RSI, Induced hypo, etc) in 2006-2008. Now I hear a very real threat for privatization for them (county put out RFPs) I jumped shipped about 2 years ago when I started to catch wind of it. If it hadn't of been for that I'd still be there. I landed my happy *** in the bluegrass state where I have been able to grow somewhat, but still not what I want as a provider. I've was able to be part of bringing an agency from pen and paper everything (there really isnt anything wrong with that!!) to electronic PCRs, scheduling, protocols (10 years behind mainstream EMS), managing the agencies social media and website. But there comes a point in time when doing all of that plus being a paramedic for 36k a year is well, being taken advantage of IMO. Especially after I took a 24k a year paycut after leaving Florida. I have been able to branch out into CC, but there are no CC services here. A moot point. I want my autonomy back and a place where I am not just a technician, but a true clinician. I have a resume that supports that and want nothing more then to be challenged and enjoying being a paramedic. I am also a PALS instructor and a Level A Hazmat Technician (40 hr). I will look up Harris County Emergency Corp. Thank you all for your suggestions.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Just checked out HCEC's protocols. I'm jealous. "Problem= X? A, B, C, D, E, and F are your options. Get it done."

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
HCEC is a sharp outfit.

CCEMS has some great people and although a bit "traditional" in the way they run things does seem to be trying to catch up. The folks that work there love it for the most part.

My only question would be this. Why the hell would you move to spring?

OP
OP
A

Action942Jackson

Forum Crew Member
Cheap housing! Full of foreclosures to turn a profit on the side. Plus my wife goes to a CLC church and wants to go to the one in Spring. I also have my best friend (we left Lee County at the same time, he went to Texas and I went to Kentucky). He lives in Katy currently. Why can you think of a better choice, we haven't moved yet so if there's something we've missed. Please feel free to tell me.