High School EMT in Connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasha

Forum Chief
How so?

Teaches responsibility.

After school activities help keep kids out of trouble.

Teaches work ethic.

Gives the kids insight on if they want to continue to paramedic or some other health profession,

Parents aren't worried that their kids are off doing illegal things as much as kids who DON'T volunteer.

Why does everyone think that EMS is made up of such great, law abiding, responsible people??

How does it teach work ethic? It sounds like an excuse to get outta class and carry a hero title.

johnnyreb132

Forum Crew Member
I'm all for a 16 or 17 year old becoming EMTs, mainly because that's what I'm doing ^_^, but that does have to hamper their academics and quality of care when they take calls during school hours. I mean their response times have got to be pretty horrible I would think.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I mean their response times have got to be pretty horrible I would think.
And when they finally arrive, they're still just EMTs. When it comes right down to it, the heart attack patient would be better off driving themselves to the hospital.

And McDonalds would do a better job of teaching a work ethic than this thing. In order to learn a work ethic, you first have to be working. This isn't work for these kids. It's play.

Vizior

Forum Crew Member
The age is important because of the other things going on in life that are foundations of the rest of their lives. A 16 or 17 year old, still in High School should have a lot of things on their mind: doing well in school, applying to college or deciding on a future, enjoying themselves, etc. The reason that we make the cut off at 18 is because that's what the government says is the point where someone can make a decision was to their own life, whether they want to work in EMS, McDonald's, or go on to study medicine at John Hopkins.

I'm 20 years old, and when I work as a medic some people still get nervous at how young I am, and I have an associates and am close to a Bachelors. How do you feel about having someone work on you that can't possibly have a High School diploma?

As for all the comment's about how it helps a person mature, I've seen a number of 16 and 17 year olds that choose to neglect school for the Ambulance or Fire Dept. To the extent of skipping class to go hang out at the Ambulance Bay. In a lot of cases this field attracts people for a little while, where they will devote a ton of time to becoming an EMT and making it to every last volunteer call, and then burn out. To have that happen to someone that is a senior in High School...

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Posts removed and thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.