High BP

EMTelite

Forum Lieutenant
Well just went for my medical examination for my medical examiners certificate and everything checks out except BP of 150/80 guess its not to bad but I am also 19 y/o gah

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Who says that's high?

120/80 isn't really "the norm" for everyone.

I am normally 120/80 exactly. Others may be normal with 100/70, and still more 140/100.

High blood pressure is unique to every person.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
How much caffeine (coffee, Red Bull) did you consume? Sudafed or similar product? Nicotine gum or cigarettes? Sleep? Nervous? Correct BP cuff used? Correct BP technique?

OP
OP
EMTelite

EMTelite

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah I suppose just hoping its not going to effect my cert. Plus my BP has always been that high

OP
OP
EMTelite

EMTelite

Forum Lieutenant
How much caffeine (coffee, Red Bull) did you consume? Sudafed or similar product? Nicotine gum or cigarettes? Sleep? Nervous? Correct BP cuff used? Correct BP technique?

And you have a good point there I dont smoke and I had no medications before hand but I did have a coke before I went and I am really stressed out atm about the job and everything so you know what that probably did it:ph34r: and according to the doc I have a pretty big bicep so thats another thing he said that could have effected it

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yeah I suppose just hoping its not going to effect my cert. Plus my BP has always been that high

See, if it's normally that high, and you don't have any underlying conditions, you probably have nothing to worry about.

When we were doing skills testing final night of EMT class, they took my BP and I kid you not, 160/110. That's what stress does to you.

OP
OP
EMTelite

EMTelite

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks guys yeah I am not to worried about it, I am under a lot of stress right now with all these interviews coming up and everything so I think that is possibly playing a part in it

VentMedic

Forum Chief
And you have a good point there I dont smoke and I had no medications before hand but I did have a coke before I went and I am really stressed out atm about the job and everything so you know what that probably did it:ph34r: and according to the doc I have a pretty big bicep so thats another thing he said that could have effected it

Most agencies will allow you to do a repeat or have a referral to your PCP since this is not uncommon.
Mellow out and stay off any caffeine drinks for 48 - 72 hours.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief

Vent, how does B/P relate to sleep? I am usually around 140/80. I thought that was a little high for a 20 y/o male, but.............

I don't drink coffee, sodas or energy drinks, Haven't taken any Sudafed for months, don't smoke (or use nicotine gum) Am not nevous, etc. About the only thing on your list that applies to me is not enough sleep. (occasionally)

If it helps, I also have a sinus disrythmia. Nothing major, but it speeds up and slows down with respirations. (The gal who taught our heart moniter class said it is fairly normal in young people.

VentMedic

Forum Chief

JPINFV

Gadfly
Who says that's high?

The State of California with their guidelines for physicals for commercial drivers. A commercial driver physical is needed to obtain an ambulance driver certificate.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
I'm 21 and my PCP put me on lisinopril for hypertension when I was 20. He is no longer my PCP (though for different reasons).

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
The typical EMS diet and exercise regime isn't very helpful to having an ideal BP. In the military, if your BP was over 140 systolic, or 90 diastolic, they would have you come to the clinic on 3 consecutive days and get a BP check. Maybe it's a one-time thing....maybe it's not

sdadam

DialedMedics.com
Don't sweat it.

Actually the same thing happened to me last time I went in to get my Medical Examiners card.

Here is a little trick, if you aren't meeting the Bp requirement when the nurse goes to take your Bp, exhale all the way out, then close off your airway (like you were trying to hold in a sneeze or cough) and try to take a deep breath in.

Since your airway is closed no air can come in to your thorax, but the tightening of your diaphragm and external intercostal muscles will lessen intrathorasic pressure, pulling blood into your thorax and artificially decreasing the Bp reading in your arm. works like a charm, just don't be too obvious about it.

Ascultated blood pressures are pretty lame, and depend on a ton of variables to fall in to place in order to be accurate, skill of the taker, position and quality of the stethoscope, calibration of the cuff, ambient noise, etc.

All this has shown an ascultated blood pressures to have an accuracy of + or - 25mmHg. this means your 150/80 could be anywhere between 125/55 to 175/105. I wouldn't sweat it. <"Emergency Pathophysiology, Clinical Applications for Prehospital Care" - Samuel M. Galvagno>

This also explains why you always need lots and lots of blood pressures on any critical patient, cause the number doesn't mean as much as the up or down trend....

jtb_E10

Forum Crew Member
My physician recently put me on Noravasc for my BP. I'm only 20 years old (however my family Hx completely sucks). He thought my BP was so high due to the amount caffeine I drank at the time....I winged off the caffeine a bit and my BP has been a lot better and my doc took me off the meds. If you drink a lot of caffeine try cutting back a bit and see if that helps it.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Ask them to do a manual BP (ascultated) if they use an automated BP cuff as they can sometimes give a false reading.

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
I have had issues with my bp over the past year and im only 23... but alot of it is due to the fact that i haven't been running any moreeeee so more exercise it is says the doc lol

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
The typical EMS diet and exercise regime isn't very helpful to having an ideal BP. In the military, if your BP was over 140 systolic, or 90 diastolic, they would have you come to the clinic on 3 consecutive days and get a BP check. Maybe it's a one-time thing....maybe it's not

Bet they don't worry much about your blood pressure when you are getting shot at and in a war zone in combat.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
My last BP was high for my normal due to lack of sleep, over doing it on caffinated products, and being dehydrated

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Speaking of high BP, I had another random, transient episode of hypertension that is completely unexplainable. I'm sure some of you remember me discussing this last year.

Usually run 100-110 over 60-70, have for years. Suddenly started running 140-150 over 90-100 for 2 weeks last year and had palpitations without any lifestyle changes, meds, nothing. Had a full work-up by my PCP and a cardiologist, who told me to see a nephrologist (never did). EKG showed a PR interval that was very close to being short enough to meet diagnostic criteria for WPW. Bloods, stress echo/ekg all normal. Microalbumin in urine. BP went back down to normal as suddenly as it went up without any intervention.

Had another episode a few weeks ago that lasted a few days. Back down to normal again. Seriously, no changes in lifestyle, diet, stress. I don't drink caffeine. Nothing.

Anywho...

Last edited by a moderator: