hey

egorg123

Forum Ride Along
i was thinking of joining the army and using my emt-b cert. for that but im not sure, iknow the job is 91w and i was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the job, anything would help,
thanks edgar

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
egorg123 said:
i was thinking of joining the army and using my emt-b cert. for that but im not sure, iknow the job is 91w and i was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the job, anything would help,
thanks edgar
Talk to your recruiter.

OP
OP
E

egorg123

Forum Ride Along
i did but he didnt really know much, so thats why i was hoping maybe some of you with army experiance can help me

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey. As a medic in the Army you could be doing such a wide variety of things and be assigned to any number of different types of units.

In a clinical setting you could be doing vitals, triage, blood draws, iv's, cleaning the waiting room, filing, cleaning the bathrooms, starting IV's, answering the phones, making appointments...any task that needs to be done that you are assigned to. On some of the smaller posts there isn't a hospital, so all the soliders have is a walk-in clinic setting, where anything else gets sent miles away to the hospital.

In a hospital setting you most likely would just be doing triage and answering the phones, possibly working on the ambulance, if they have their own. But with the Army you never know, they can cross train you into anything.

Medics assigned to companies other than a Medical Company (or detachment), such as an infantry or engineering unit may work out of the clinic when they are not deployed or in the field.

Its really hard to say what exactly you'd be doing. It will all depend on where you are assigned, what kind of command you have, what type of company you are assigned to, what kind of solider you are, whose *** you kiss, who you piss off, ect.

There is opportunity to learn things and do things under the protection of the Military that you wouldn't be able to do as an EMT working for a civilian EMS service.

So, any of you other military medics have any other ideas.

Understand, I was not a Medic in the Army. I was Intel (and yes I know thats an oxymoron:rolleyes: ), however these are observations and things I learned from friends growing up in and being in the Army.

Recruiting

Forum Probie
If your new to the Army you will be going to 91W school at Ft. Sam Houston, TX. It's a long AIT, but you'll have fun there, most do. There is no waiver for civilian EMT certifications.

Having civilian EMS skills will assist you greatly with that school.
While other PVT's will be freaking out on the tests and classroom work, you'll be the ball. Which will give you more time to relax in the sun B)

Will you be going ACTIVE DUTY, RESERVES or National Guard?

Basically besides the soldier stuff its just NREMT-B, BTLS/PHTLS, BCLS, AIMS.

If you need any more info, I was a 79T (recruiter) for 2 years, so I could give you some solid info if you would like some...

Good Luck!:ph34r:

Recruiting

Forum Probie
One note, since you appear to have been in already, if you have a civilian
EMT-Paramedic certification you can do the 91W transition program.

What this is, is they will have you start almost half way through the 91W school, that is what I was going to do but I found out that I did not need to go that far.

Given my Rank, my degree in Health Sciencem, civilian certifications and previous military medical training I will be getting a waiver (THANK GOD).

I will only do the NREMT- Basic certification and not the NREMT-P as I hear it is a beyach, and I am kind of lazy:wacko: !

Again, good luck!B)

R.M.S. EMT-P

Forum Ride Along
91w now 68w AIT waiver

I am writing to find out about a possible waiver or partial wavier to AIT for mos 68w. I am currently a FF/ENG/NREMT-P with 16 years exsperiance on a paid department in Denver area. Will my certs. allow me to skip some or all of AIT. BCT time would be no trouble but the quoted "19 weeks of AIT" is a little long. I may be mistaken but I feel I exceed that trainning with my certs.
I am very interested in this mos. and I know they need them in the feild. I would be going into the reserves or nat'l guard. Any info would help out my decision.