help with ams

ttoude

Forum Crew Member
PT has AMS 80 Central and radial pulses diminished pedal pulses. non-reactive left pupil that is moving erratically and independently of the right one.

Any guess'?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
not enough cowbell

OP
OP
ttoude

ttoude

Forum Crew Member
Not enough, that's what I said. That all the "S" I could gather. 23yo male, no drugs, NKA/NKDA, Lorazapam, Meal @ 30min ago, "E" unknown.

Aggressive too.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
its good that you shave your head or are naturally bald, because that joke flew over your head so fast it would have burned every follicle you had right off.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Can you back up and present this like you would write a chart?

We don't all use the same shorthand... please present this case to us in "plain talk"

And Kev... same goes for you:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ttoude

ttoude

Forum Crew Member
I can't believe I missed that one. that's my second fav SNL skit. Mr. Peepers is the first.

I mean really I'm just tryin to do the best cow bell I can do!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Pt related to Marty Feldman?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
PT has AMS 80 Central and radial pulses diminished pedal pulses. non-reactive left pupil that is moving erratically and independently of the right one.

Any guess'?

it sounds like ams is altered mental status. i am guessing the 80 is a systolic estimation based on radial pulse. (inaccurate but accepted by some) and some kind of insult to the optic nerve. No drugs other than the lorazepam?

with his age, the meal, insult to optic nerve, and aggression I would hazard to guess:
1. cancer
2. arterio/venous malformation that ruptered. (aka hemorrhagic CVA)
3. focal seizure from benzo withdrawel

not in any particular order.

have no idea what "S" or "E" stands for.

june125

Forum Ride Along
I would have to agree with a hemorrhagic cva or a seizure, but would like more information to go on.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
it sounds like ams is altered mental status. i am guessing the 80 is a systolic estimation based on radial pulse. (inaccurate but accepted by some) and some kind of insult to the optic nerve. No drugs other than the lorazepam?

with his age, the meal, insult to optic nerve, and aggression I would hazard to guess:
1. cancer
2. arterio/venous malformation that ruptered. (aka hemorrhagic CVA)
3. focal seizure from benzo withdrawel

not in any particular order.

have no idea what "S" or "E" stands for.

I believe the occulomotor (3rd cranial nerve) controls pupillary reaction, but I could be mistaken.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I believe the occulomotor (3rd cranial nerve) controls pupillary reaction, but I could be mistaken.

sorry, my mistake I was thinkng CN III, and came up with optic instead of occulomotor

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I thought CNIII controlled eye movement only. I think it innervates the eye muscles. I know the constriction, dilation of the eye is controlled by the iris. As far at it changing with dark and light I think it starts with some chemicals, then goes to the optic nerve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
according to Moore and Dailey, Clinically Oriented Anatomy,

CN III oculomotor nerve, controls parasympathetic innervation of pupilary sphincter and ciliary muscle. controls pupil constriction. page 1126

lesion of CN II, optic nerve, causes loss of pupilary constriction and visual field defects. page 1130