Help Me Please

SIEMTB

Forum Lieutenant
Guys, I need help. I'm an aspiring FDNY EMT. I literally just got my certification last week. I'm 20 years old, driving for 3 with an absolute clean driving record...

Until tonight.

I'm panicking. I got pulled over because I was in the right lane and it turned into a turning lane but the street road was torn up and I didn't see the letters in the road to signify that it was the right lane was turning into a turning lane on a major road.

So I went about my business and kept going straight. I didn't cut anyone off, no one was near me except for the guys who sped past me going atleast 65 in a 35 (who I originally thought the cops were pulling over). I never merged into a new lane. I just continued my course in the same lane not realizing the block before, that lane was a turning only zone and then resumed into a normal right lane.

I'm rambling because I'm nervous but long store short, I got a summons for "Failure to signal lane change". I apologized to the officer and he said no problem stay safe and that was all.

The only problem is that this violation was 2 points on my license and that's a bad red flag for the FDNY EMS apparently. I need advice. Please.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Get a lawyer and see if you can get it deferred. And I doubt two points for failure to signal will sink your future.

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
I wouldn't worry too much, the crime is not so heinous and you are young with plenty of time to test for FDNY. Speedbumps will happen in life and anyone who doesn't encounter them can go to hell. Plee not guilty and state your case. It's your right to do so.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Go to court, point out that you've never been in trouble, explain that this was an honest mistake and not a willful violation of the law, and apologize and say that you'll always be more careful from here on out. Then explain that you are an EMT trying to get into FDNY and ask the judge if there is any way you can serve a punishment that doesn't result in points on your license.

Unless the judge is a complete (insert pejorative of your choice HERE), he'll reduce it to a non-moving violation, or dismiss it altogether.