Help in Washington state

Kiltageman

Forum Ride Along
Hey! I have just passed my NREMT and I am looking for work in WA. I am having trouble navigating where to go from here. I have my nremt but I don't have my state licence because as far as I can see, I need a job in the EMS field before I can get it... Any case any ideas?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Hey! I have just passed my NREMT and I am looking for work in WA. I am having trouble navigating where to go from here. I have my nremt but I don't have my state licence because as far as I can see, I need a job in the EMS field before I can get it... Any case any ideas?

What part of WA state?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Apply at every place you can. When you're hired, the agency will submit your paperwork. It's 6 to 8 weeks to get active in the system.

That's how it works.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'm not sure who does the ambulance service for Issaquah, but you could always apply with them, or apply with the SAR group.

In Yakima, AMR and ALS (Advanced Life Services) share the 911 contract so there is pretty stiff competition to get hired with them. Further east in Grant County, Protection One has the Quincy contract and AMR covers Moses Lake, Ephrata, and a few other parts.

If you decide to relocate, you can always volunteer with a FD while you are doing a job search. That way you will have your agency affiliation and can get your state card.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm not sure who does the ambulance service for Issaquah, but you could always apply with them, or apply with the SAR group.

In Yakima, AMR and ALS (Advanced Life Services) share the 911 contract so there is pretty stiff competition to get hired with them. Further east in Grant County, Protection One has the Quincy contract and AMR covers Moses Lake, Ephrata, and a few other parts.

If you decide to relocate, you can always volunteer with a FD while you are doing a job search. That way you will have your agency affiliation and can get your state card.

How is Yakima to work? I saw an opening there for transfer lol

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Wear body armor...:ph34r:

In Yakima there are two ambulance companies that share the 911 contract, and the dispatch center sends the closest ambulance to the call from what I understand. There are two hospitals in town, and they alternate the Level 3 trauma designation on a daily basis.

There seems to have been a higher number than average of assaults, shootings, and stabbings this year and they have a huge gang problem so there is no indication of those slowing down. Drugs are another big issue (as they are everywhere).

My agency operates under Yakima County protocols, which aren't too bad but aren't the greatest.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Sounds good to me lol

OP
OP
K

Kiltageman

Forum Ride Along

I am applying with the local SAR (starts in August) and the volunteer opportunities are a bit hard to find, or. A just having trouble finding them, they seem to be looking for firefighter/emt for everything over here

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Trimed. Apply there.

mgaska84

Forum Probie
Seattle EMS

Seattle uses AMR for their transport rigs, run mutual aid with Seattle fire. They also have units in Issaquah and Kirkland. AMR also has medics in Yakima and Spokane. Rural Metro runs mutual aid with Tacoma/Pierce County FD. TriMed is huge on the eastside (Renton, Federal Way etc). There is also an ambulance company in Bremerton called Olympic Ambulance, and I think Marysville or something has Northwest ambulance as well.