Help choosing medic schools

terrible one

Always wandering
Austin Community College has one of the best Paramedic programs in the country. Awesome area to work in. Five county services within an hour.

What's the job market like near Austin? I've always wanted to live there and will be graduating in June. I know ATCEMS won't be hiring soon, what other services are nearby? And how difficult is it to get on? Thanks

medictmfl

Forum Ride Along
The one that gets you a P-card

I loved my experience at Daniel Freeman, that being said LA County is falling way behind in the EMS world (don't tell them that it would make Johnny and Roy cry) and unless you can get on with a municipal FD you will be the most over trained taxi driver on the planet. I just moved to Vegas like two weeks ago because I couldn't do it anymore and I figure it can't get much busier than Vegas. You want to work for the best, in my opinion you need to get up to Seattle and do Medic-1's program (crazy good), otherwise there are tons of great schools and job markets. I have sent students out to Texas and they love it, very progressive. U of Pitt has a great program from what I understand.

Two main criteria to look for in a school:
1. Are they CoAEMSP Accredited? If not walk away, NREMT will no longer recognize certs from non-CoAEMSP schools in 2014, and don't buy their excuses they have it or they don't.

2. Do they offer a degree? It's not a must have but you limit yourself by not having it. Some states, such as OR, will only grant reciprocity if you have an AS or higher. That's my two cents feel free to email me with questions or hate mail:glare:

medictmfl

Forum Ride Along
not all of them

I would never recommend anyone going to CA to attend paramedic school. While some programs are decent at best, working within the confines of the CA paramedic scope of practice during your internship is extremely restrictive. At a time when a student should be developing critical thinking and treatment plans, in CA you will be taught little more than calling your mother (base ED) on the phone and following prescriptive cook book style protocols. Stay away from CA if you are in anyway interested in EMS.

Kern, Riverside/San Bernardino Counties are actually pretty good. But for the most part your absolutely right. I know EMT-I's that are more rounded providers than some medics* in certain counties in SoCal, I won't mention them specifically but it starts with an L and ends with an os Angeles.

* some are actually really good but are handcuffed by their EMSA

hogwiley

Forum Captain
Paying out of state tuition will double your costs, if not more. I remember being sick of freezing my butt one winter when I lived in Alaska, and looked into going to school in Florida. In state tuition for an EMT class was like 900 at a community college. Out of state students paid almost 3500 for the same friggin class. Needless to say I ended up freezing my butt off through EMT school.

MrJones

Iconoclast
Eastern Kentucky University. CoAEMSP accredited and they offer 2 year associate in paramedicine or 4 year bachelors with either an Emergency Service Adm Option, Clinical/ FSE Option, or a Paramedic/Science Option.

http://www.emc.eku.edu

reed37

Forum Ride Along
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.

Reasonable chance of a job someplace in iowa. But I'd do the program then choose a place to do your ride time where you want to live.[/QUOTE

awesome school, great instructors. i recommend it