Heads Up: FDA Pulls Darvocet and Darvon

Lone Star

Forum Crew Member
I stumbled upon this quite by chance, and felt that it was worth passing along:

FDA pulls Darvon painkiller due to safety risks
First approved in the 1950s, opioid can cause dangerous heart rhythms, officials say​

By MATTHEW PERRONE
The Associated Press
updated 11/19/2010 12:52:52 PM ET 2010-11-19T17:52:52
- WASHINGTON — The maker of the painkiller Darvon is pulling the drug off the market under pressure from public health officials who say it causes potentially deadly heart rhythms.

The Food and Drug Administration said Friday that Xanodyne Pharmaceuticals has agreed to halt marketing of Darvon and the related brand Darvocet, which have been subject to safety concerns for decades.

About 10 million people in the U.S. received prescriptions for Darvon and related drugs in 2009, according to the FDA.

Friday's action puts the U.S. in line with Britain and the European Union, which previously decided to ban Darvon due to suicides and accidental overdoses.

FDA officials said they decided to take action based on a recent study showing Darvon interferes with the electrical activity of the heart, causing irregular heart rhythms that can be fatal.[sup]1[/sup]

[sup]1[/sup]Perrone, Mattherw. "FDA Pulls Darvon Painkiller Due to Safety Risks." MSN.com. MSNBC, 19 NOV 2010. Web. 19 Nov 2010. <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40274692/ns/health-pain_center/>.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Heard about that this morning.

FreezerStL

Forum Crew Member
I also stumbled on that this morning. I was actually looking for the FDA's official decision on caffeinated alcohol beverages.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
dang... and darvocet was one of the painkillers I could take without messing up my stomach.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
*Brown pulls the ketamine and promethazine out his hip pouch

Don't worry mate these will do the trick, now hold still monkey man! :D

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Darvocet just like vicodin does nothing for me so no big deal for me.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
dang... and darvocet was one of the painkillers I could take without messing up my stomach.

Yeah I usually ask for Darvocet instead of Vicodin, because Vicodin makes me overly nauseous. :( :(

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
My mom has been taking Darvon for 10 years, and it's the only painkiller that doesn't make her puke for days. She's almost in tears from the thought of not being able to control her pain, but also realizes that this is probably the cause of her heart issues. Sorry I'm venting, but I feel bad for her.