Has anyone dated or married a former patient?

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
If your interaction with them is solely a 911 call, you don't have enough of pt interaction to prevent a relationship. As long as your not having sex on calls or using pt info to pick them up, all is good.

lol you'd have to be a smooth talker to go from "hi my name is xxx from the Ambulance" to doing the 'grown up thang' before you get to hospital :rofl::p

Then I realise most of my patients are over 60 :eek:-_-

GorillaMedic

Forum Probie
Had a couple patients try to fix me up with their daughters.
Be like the Lone Ranger, give 'em a silver bullet and hit the road.

Truth. or granddaughters.

Seriously, though…I'd think ethically it would be very hard to justify a relationship based solely on a care provider–patient relationship. Even if the patient is the "initiator". Its begging to be fired and possibly to have state action—simply not worth it.

Now, if a relationship were to develop apart from and outside the patient relationship—as in, if you were to meet under entirely different circumstances, then it might be ethically and legally ok. Still seems risky.

I'll be honest—I have not run into a single patient that seemed like good dating material. Seriously, folks…

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like what Carlos Nieto from third watch would do. Wait he did do it.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
My wife was my former emt partner. We were partners for 2 years before and after marriage. She now works in a different field. We have been married almost 7 now.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
So cool. Very best to you and all the folks who said they've married a former partner.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
I work IFT, so the few young and attractive women I've transported were:
A) just going to another hospital for tests with their boyfriend in tow
B) the mother of our pediatric patient/about to deliver a child
C) psych transfers (I'm into the crazies, but that's just begging for trouble).

Last edited by a moderator:

MunchkinMedic

Forum Crew Member
I've dated a patient before. We picked him up from a TC & later on, he tracked me down on FB & we've become good friends since then. I also was very up front with my supervisor, just to keep it from becoming an issue later on

VCEMT

Forum Captain
No, however,their family members and friends have made offers. What I do on my days off are my business. Being in this business and just plain life experience has made me aware of who is crazy and dangerous. I know how to say, no.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
My step sister was in a MVC and the medic would go and check on her and help feed her (she broke both her arms) and they have been married for 30 years!

Just saw this I think it's awesome. What a great story.

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
Just saw this I think it's awesome. What a great story.

I'm glad it worked out, but I don't know how most agencies and hospitals feel about ems staff coming back to visit patients. My primary hospital is not a fan of "how did __ make out?".

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
I have, we had alot of fun but looking back it wasn't the best idea I ever had. In my defense I never gave her my number or asked her out, she found me after the fact. She found me on Facebook about a month later. The what I realized later was that I don't have my last name on my uniform and never gave her my name... Should have been clue one that she was a crazy b----. Like more nuts than an er nurse, but very skilled in certain adult activities...