Harassment in EMS

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That happens, an incident report gets written.

That happens often and the tags come off when I start a shift.

VSTs are great, when they're as anal about stocking as I am. Unfortunately, it doesn't take much to break that trust, and it's almost impossible to get it back once it's gone.

An incident report was written for that one as soon as we cleared. It only happened once and now I cut every seal off the bag at the start of shift. Since we don't have real VSTs, the outgoing crew is responsible for submitting an equipment request form, the night crew is responsible for stocking the requested items, and every crew is responsible for checking their truck at shift start. In theory this prevents things from slipping through the cracks but in reality it just makes people lazy as they assume a different crew will take care of the truck. I hate it. The night crew also dislikes me because they have to reseal the bags every night. I don't care, and I'd do myself if they let me.

But I digress, I think we were talking about harassment. Oops:unsure:

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Tell her you're feeling harassed because she's wearing makeup in an obvious attempt to come on to you.

H3ll yes.... totally doing that next time I work with her. ^_^

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
I have had to deal with christmas music from halloween to new years. so I hear your pain when it comes to religious songs in the truck. Either way, what your partner is doing is wrong, report it, it shouldn't be tolerated. You aren't whining or being overly sensitive, it's your truck too, and his actions are obviously making you uncomfortable.omg, how sexist are you? you are stereotyping guys. I'll have you know, I am a male. I know nothing about cars. Wouldn't know how to manage windshield washer fluid unless you showed me, and I had to call a mechanic to show me how to change a headlight. and the only reason I know about checking the oil was someone showed me (and even then I barely do it).

Just because someone has a penis, doesn't automaticly make them an expert in auto repair. And thinking that it does is extremely sexist.and maybe the guy doesn't want crap on his hands or under his nails? If you are on the crew, you should be washing the truck with your partner. it's your truck too.

if your partner is a fairly bad EMT, than he should be fired and replaced with a better EMT. If you can't trust your partner, than he or she isn't a partner, he is just your driver. a partner is someone you work with; based on what you just said, you don't have a partner, just a grunt who doesn't even need to be an EMT, just a clean DL and maybe a valid CPR card.

and your partner doesn't check the truck, restock, or clean any of the inside with you? damn,I feel bad for you.than your partner should be smacked, reprimanded, and fired. smacked for making you look like an idiot in front of the patient, reprimanded for laying about the status of patient equipment, and fired for lying on the ambulance check sheet.
that is your opinion, and as long as your partner agrees, that's fine. if you were my partner, than we would definitely not be in agreement here.
Maybe you should just become a driver, and that way you could do the job? this isn't a volunteer thing where you can choose what you want to do, when you work in EMS, you should be able to both drive and treat (the level of training not withstanding). and I don't like crap under my nails either.

Maybe it's different in the IFT world vs the 911 world, but in every 911 system I am familiar with, the duties are shared. each employee is expected to do both sides of the job (drive and treat). But I still think if two people are PARTNERS, than the work should be handled equally, regardless of the gender of the crew members.

I am a non driver because the company made me a non driver. I am dying to drive so I can take some out of state transports.

There are five non driving EMTs and Medics at my service.

And no, they don't check or stock anything inside the truck. It's my responsibility. Sometimes they will help clean. Never had someone complain about it.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

EMT424

Forum Ride Along
As long as the chores are agreed upon I am cool with it. I run with a 6 ambulance rural county unit. What Pisses me off is when we have our staff meeting and the same female pipes up with "who's supposed to clean the windshield" as though it is my job. She can scrub the vehicle just as well as I can.

Further, you are passing up the chance to learn about your vehicle. What you learn is transferable to other vehicles (like your own) and might just save your butt some day.

My comment on lifting stands. We have several "volies" who are on the top side of 60. When it comes to lifting they whine about their backs. If that is the case, they need to quit so others can cover those shifts. Either you can meet the physical standards or you need to go bye-bye. It is that simple.

As for your unskilled "driver" teach him. Just like you can learn about the vehicle and get more comfortable there, maybe he is tentative because there is always a medic there saying "you just drive". Speed and proficiency are a function of experience.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
If you are addressing me the situation is VERY complicated, and over the last 10 months he has earned the position he is in. I won't get into it here because this is not the thread for it.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
As far as all these gender issues and EMT vs medic duties and responsibilites, it's real simple - you employer should have provided you with a document stipulating your job function, what you're responsible for. If the function is in your job description, you're subject to that task or function, pure and simple.

If you have a medic partner that feels like they're above having to clean or do other menial tasks, simply put off emptying the trash or restocking suppies until they're done with their reports. When they complain, tell them that you do not condone their ideology that the EMT is their personal assistant or slave, that the only time you're truly in a subservient role is when pt care is involved.

As far as "male" tasks, when your female partner tries to get you to check the oil or whatever, just say it's their turn, and say that you're going to do something else, like wipe down eauipment, check the tires, so that you're also doing work at the same time. If they say they don't know how to do something, you can show them so that this is no longer an exuse, or simply shrug you shoulders, say "I don't either," turn away, and play Scrabble on your phone.

As far as incompetent partners, the employer and certifying body says that they're able to perform their job, so you're SOL. The only thing you can do is complain to your supervisor, document their inadequacies, or let them drop the ball during pt care, and get them investigated.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
If you have a medic partner that feels like they're above having to clean or do other menial tasks, simply put off emptying the trash or restocking suppies until they're done with their reports. When they complain, tell them that you do not condone their ideology that the EMT is their personal assistant or slave, that the only time you're truly in a subservient role is when pt care is involved.

As far as "male" tasks, when your female partner tries to get you to check the oil or whatever, just say it's their turn, and say that you're going to do something else, like wipe down eauipment, check the tires, so that you're also doing work at the same time. If they say they don't know how to do something, you can show them so that this is no longer an exuse, or simply shrug you shoulders, say "I don't either," turn away, and play Scrabble on your phone.

So how is it fair that the emt sits there and does nothing while the medic does there report then expect the medic to do the cleaning/trash emptying?

Real crappy division of labor.

No one has said they are too good to do its they said they have other stuff to be doing or that they have done.

Sorry no one person does all the work on my truck.

atropine

Forum Captain
Wow, I can't belive all the whining, or waite yes I can from private ems, suck it up. When I was on probation at my current job, I had to clean the rigs, station, kitchen, bathrooms, bunks, give company drills on equipenment, and write my pcr's, all while still working on the ambulance. Too many sissies in ems now days who can't hack it, and if you couldn'g hack where I work you were let go.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
So how is it fair that the emt sits there and does nothing while the medic does there report then expect the medic to do the cleaning/trash emptying?

Real crappy division of labor.

No one has said they are too good to do its they said they have other stuff to be doing or that they have done.

Sorry no one person does all the work on my truck.

If you finish your report before they're done with decon and restock, you ask them what they need. If you take your time with the reports, and/or waste time socializing with other crews and the ER staff, then the EMT has a right to be annoyed, since you should have been finished much sooner and doing your part to get the rig back in service. Reports shouldn't take an hour. Most paper reports can be done in 10-20 mins, and most computer reports can be done in 20-30. Mine takes 30-45 due to crappy software, but we're using a new system soon.

In the morning, the division of labor is simple - the EMT checks the fluids, belts, hoses, etc, the tires, L/S, then it's the outside - the O2, chair, immobilization equipment if outside, then they jump in to help you check whatever you haven't gotten to. Then, you both clean the interior.

Do EMT's in your service not ride the seat on BLS calls?

At the end of the day, don't take your time filing the reports just to get out of washing the vehicle. If you have web based software, you should have taken care of most of it on the way back. My IFT PD job uses this technology. Whoever happens to be driving back from the last call will empty trash, clean the interior, straighten everything up, change O2, then wash the rig. the other person files the PPW. whoever finishes first helps the other person. Again, it's wrong to BS with staff to stall and not help the other person. The EMT can file PPW, and so can I. The EMT can clean and prep the vehichle, and so can I.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Most paper reports can be done in 10-20 mins, and most computer reports can be done in 20-30. Mine takes 30-45 due to crappy software, but we're using a new system soon.

And if the person cleaning is not done in 10 minutes I would be wondering why they are goofing off while I was busy doing paperwork. There is no excuse to take more than 10 minutes to clean the ambulance after 99% of the calls.

I do agree that work load should be equal and shared by all.

JPINFV

Gadfly

Here's the problem I have with how you're describing the situation. It's one thing to expect the non-attendant partner to help with turning around the gurney, deconing the back, etc while the partner is also working, such as giving report or finishing up the PCR. It's another thing to say, "Well, I have to write a report (which, in my opinion, needs to be done before clearing anyways), therefore I don't have to do anything else."

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
If you finish your report before they're done with decon and restock, you ask them what they need. If you take your time with the reports, and/or waste time socializing with other crews and the ER staff, then the EMT has a right to be annoyed, since you should have been finished much sooner and doing your part to get the rig back in service. Reports shouldn't take an hour. Most paper reports can be done in 10-20 mins, and most computer reports can be done in 20-30. Mine takes 30-45 due to crappy software, but we're using a new system soon.

In the morning, the division of labor is simple - the EMT checks the fluids, belts, hoses, etc, the tires, L/S, then it's the outside - the O2, chair, immobilization equipment if outside, then they jump in to help you check whatever you haven't gotten to. Then, you both clean the interior.

Do EMT's in your service not ride the seat on BLS calls?

At the end of the day, don't take your time filing the reports just to get out of washing the vehicle. If you have web based software, you should have taken care of most of it on the way back. My IFT PD job uses this technology. Whoever happens to be driving back from the last call will empty trash, clean the interior, straighten everything up, change O2, then wash the rig. the other person files the PPW. whoever finishes first helps the other person. Again, it's wrong to BS with staff to stall and not help the other person. The EMT can file PPW, and so can I. The EMT can clean and prep the vehichle, and so can I.

Have you missed where I said three times in this thread that I am a non driver at my service? I don't drive because the company doesn't allow me. So i take every call. So no, they don't sit back for any of the calls not even non medical stretcher.

We use paper reports. And my reports can go for pages. I turn it in. I check our equipment back in. They wash the truck. Simple easy peasy.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Oh, something else to think about. Is it fair that the partner has to drive (hence work) everywhere while you get to play on your phone or sleep when not on a call?

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Here's the problem I have with how you're describing the situation. It's one thing to expect the non-attendant partner to help with turning around the gurney, deconing the back, etc while the partner is also working, such as giving report or finishing up the PCR. It's another thing to say, "Well, I have to write a report (which, in my opinion, needs to be done before clearing anyways), therefore I don't have to do anything else."

Never said I just sit there. I do my report or end of shift stuff while they remake the stretcher or wash the truck. I don't get the problem. I don't see why I should help and then have to do my own stuff.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
Oh, something else to think about. Is it fair that the partner has to drive (hence work) everywhere while you get to play on your phone or sleep when not on a call?

amen, current female partner has her face buried in that thing all day, even has to charge the damn thing with our inverter to keep it going

Tired of gurney cleanup (and loading by myself) while she sits her happy *** in the passenger seat writing down addresses that should have been filled out before we got on scene.

<_<

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
amen, current female partner has her face buried in that thing all day, even has to charge the damn thing with our inverter to keep it going

Tired of gurney cleanup (and loading by myself) while she sits her happy *** in the passenger seat writing down addresses that should have been filled out before we got on scene.

<_<

What's wrong with charging your phone? My battery lasts MAYBE six hours.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

The medics at my IFT job pull that crap. On the overnight, we get runs from local hospitals to a university hospital 2 1/2 - 3 hours away, sometimes two in the same shift (why I don't do nights there - I don't like 3-4 hour late calls, thank you). The EMT drives, and the medic sleeps on the way back. I'm sorry, but I find driving a whole lot more fatiguing than riding in the back. On our tablets, we have our protocols and such available to look over to kill some time. The problem is, this hospital only does 12's or less, so the EMT can't say that they're tired, like they could if it was a 24 hr shift.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Have you missed where I said three times in this thread that I am a non driver at my service? I don't drive because the company doesn't allow me. So i take every call. So no, they don't sit back for any of the calls not even non medical stretcher.

We use paper reports. And my reports can go for pages. I turn it in. I check our equipment back in. They wash the truck. Simple easy peasy.

When I used paper, the reports were done before leaving the hospital. Our reports also went on for pages. Unless it was an arrest, these got knocked out in 20 mins tops, counting what I could get done in the back on the way to the receiving facility. IFT, the reports were typically done before I hit the receiving floor. I would get a signature, then wipe down the cot while my partner cleans the monitor (they should both be wiped after every call). Then we both dress the cot, and we're back in service.

Checking equipment back in and turning in reports should only take a few minutes, unless your company uses some convoluted system. I've worked more than a few places, and it shouldn't take longer than that. Changing O2, restock, and cleaning the inside and such will take about the same amount of time. If you can do all that and wash/dry off the truck in ten minutes, then you're cutting corners somewhere.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
And if the person cleaning is not done in 10 minutes I would be wondering why they are goofing off while I was busy doing paperwork. There is no excuse to take more than 10 minutes to clean the ambulance after 99% of the calls.

I do agree that work load should be equal and shared by all.

To wipe down the cot and monitor, change O2, dress the cot, and empty the trash will put me close to ten minutes right there. Add in restock, particularly for traumas and we're easily over ten minutes, even more so if the other medic can't clean up after themselves (the bench and floor) when starting a line and placing an ECG.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
What's wrong with charging your phone? My battery lasts MAYBE six hours.

Five or six hours is a lot of phone conversation and texting while at work, I would think.

(I should talk - I get at least an hour or more of computer time at the station every day, and 1 - 1 1/2 hrs. of working out as well) :p