Hallucinations... play along?

fngemt

Forum Probie
It all comes down to what you feel is good for the patient

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
you can "play along" so far as to try to understand what they person is experiencing. For example: "they are out to get me!!" "who is out to get you? why are they out to get you?". But you should NEVER affirm someones delusions. For example: "yes they are out to get you!". You should always try to keep your patient aware of reality, "there are no bugs on your skin, you are hallucinating, and I am telling you that what you are feeling is not real, its an illusion."

lwems

Forum Probie
I'm a dispatcher but occasionally I get called to jump onto a wheelchair van and run a quick transport because everyone else is booked solid.

One particular time I was asked to transport a patient who was perfectly stable and noncombative, but who nevertheless suffered from paranoid delusions and often accused staff of stealing her things.

The transport was uneventful, although I had to listen to a long monologue about the many supposed thefts and rapes she had suffered. (The DON had already warned me that the rape accusations had been taken very seriously, were investigated by police, and were ruled out by CCTV footage.) So I humored the patient, listened to the stories and responded with sympathy... perhaps that was a bad decision.

Anyway, the patient was going to a doctor's appointment, so I wheeled her in and we went straight to reception. I read the receptionist's name off her badge and then announced to the patient something like this: "Mrs. Doe, this is Jane, she is your protector here. Her job is to keep you safe. So I am going to park your wheelchair right here next to her desk, and Jane will watch over you until I come back for you later."

The receptionist quickly twigged to the game and played along. It seemed to settle the patient's mind wonderfully... although it probably confirmed her delusions, maybe?

Opinions? Am I clever, or am I just creating more problems?