GS, a definition please!

ddritz

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and I appreciate all of your insight and patience in helping those of us new to the job. I've heard the term "GS" used a couple of times in referring to moving or lifting a patient, but when I ask what it means, I haven't had any luck with a clear definition. Does anyone know what GS stands for? Thanks!

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and I appreciate all of your insight and patience in helping those of us new to the job. I've heard the term "GS" used a couple of times in referring to moving or lifting a patient, but when I ask what it means, I haven't had any luck with a clear definition. Does anyone know what GS stands for? Thanks!

"Gargantuan Slab" ?
"Groin Snap!" ?
"Get Sistence" ?
"Grab a Sheriff" ?
"Golly :censored::censored::censored::censored:!" ?

Neva hoid of it.

mcvey7218

Forum Crew Member
I have never heard of it either. Could it have been "GCS"?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
What did the person using the term say it meant?

I have heard it once or twice for a Groin Strain although that is not in any medical dictionaries as that. It also has a couple of other derogatory meanings but those are probably region specific.

In the hospital it is a lab abbreviation for Gram Stain.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Go Slow? I've never heard of it either.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I've heard it used as the name of the 2 person patient transfer where one person grabs the legs and the other person comes up from under the arms and grabing the opposite wrist. I don't know what the letters "GS" stand for, though.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
alright, ill admit i waited till some of the other folks chimed in hoping they would come up with teh answer and we'd be done with it but since everbody else is drawing a blank i tried as well.

i looked in my bls text, my als texts, tabers, bls flip guide, als flip guides and emailed a few guys i know on the job, two of whom have been around longer than i have been alive. all roads point to it being an abbreviation made up by that guy. nobodies ever heard of it. ask him, he'll prob tell you but keep in mind, he prob made it up.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
nope, never heard it.

onegez52

Forum Ride Along
OLD post

I was surprised that someone read my reply being the original post is so old. I was watching "The Closer" and EMS mentioned a GS lift. Of course, I had to Google it. No luck there. A few minutes later one of the detectives said it again and gave the meaning. You are not offensive at all. I'm a New Yorker with thick skin who is just filled with sarcasm.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I was surprised that someone read my reply being the original post is so old.

Threads are listed in reverse chronological order based on the last post.

Achilles

Forum Moron
I was surprised that someone read my reply being the original post is so old. I was watching "The Closer" and EMS mentioned a GS lift. Of course, I had to Google it. No luck there. A few minutes later one of the detectives said it again and gave the meaning. You are not offensive at all. I'm a New Yorker with thick skin who is just filled with sarcasm.

Honestly, I rarely look at dates for the original posts, but now I have a reason not to view your posts :)

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Garden State

Goldman Sachs

Gilbert's Syndrome

General Schedule