Got a question

njff/emt

Forum Crew Member
Ok, I know teens are always trying different things to get high like snorting Smarties. I recently went to a unconcious/unresponsive and they were smoking potpourri(the pt was a faker but thats a whole different thread). My question is has anyone else come upon this, and what is potpourri actually supposed to do?

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
NJ I have heard of this however to my knowledge potpourri has no "effects" that would be introduced by the smoking of other than possibly an asthma attack. It smells good and is usually made of dried flower buds and spices.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I believe you're refering to "K2." It's often marketed as potpourri, or as a "smoking blend." It has similar effects as marijuana, without the THC.

Hope this helps,

Hotel

OP
OP
njff/emt

njff/emt

Forum Crew Member
Thanks Hotel, from what I can remember they picked it up from a 7-11 or someplace. Kicker is the pt didnt even smoke it, they were just inhaling it as the others smoked. We knew the pt was faking because we did the hand drop test and they didnt smack their head.

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
The one we come across lately is named Black Mamba, we had others by some other wierd names I don't remember... pretty sure its all the same type of synthetic stuff.

The most common complaints by all the pts of mine were Feeling wierd ( in not a good way, like he was going to pass out or die ), vision problems ( described as blindness ), dizzyness and the feeling of a rapid heart rate.

One girl had abd pain, nausea and headaches.

I have heard about worse reactions, but have not come across them yet.

You can smell the stuff in the house, which has been clue #1. Symptoms from the pt direct me to ask about incense, most have been very honest.
Most have been younger folks ( under 30 ). I had one 65 year old that said he was trying to cover up the smell in the house with it, I am pretty sure he was lying his A^% off that he was not intentionally using it... social history made me lean that way.

Treatments have been the same. IV... monitor and transport.

Guess being high on life just is not enough for these folks.

OP
OP
njff/emt

njff/emt

Forum Crew Member
Awesome, thanks Master I'll use that for future reference. Our pt was in a car, and according to the passenger next to them they were alert one minute and not the next, they tried slapping n shaking them but nothing. We bascially had to drag them out of the car onto the cot. When we got them in the rig they were still unresponsive, but when I opened their eyelids to check the pupils they looked straight at me then rolled their eyes back. Plus after we did the hand drop, we noticed their eyelids were twitching. Medics got on scene and taught them a lesson, first the shirt was cut off to put on the leads, followed by a 20 gauge. Then they snapped out of it once that was in. I still can't believe when one of the friends asked if we had to take the pt to the hospital. And then they got pulled over for tailgating the medic truck.

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
Sounds like a great call! We get many of those along the 'ghettos', and one of the best things for the unresponsive of unknown origins after a good assessement and BG check, is the trusty NP airway. A little lube, and gentle entry into the nose will usually bring the best drama dragons out of their sleep.

Good fun! ( professional fun that is ). I love those calls...