Google Glass and EMS

Simusid

Forum Captain
For those that have not heard of Google Glass http://www.google.com/glass/start/how-it-feels/ it is a heads up display that takes voice commands. It is always online (via 3G or wifi) so it can retrieve anything that a regular device can. Most demos include "ok glass, record a video" and obviously that has nearly zero benefit to EMS.

But what if you could pick up a patients bottle of prescription meds and say "ok glass, what is Lamictal?" and it would display the info. "Ok Glass display vitals" and it would sync the bp, spo2, pulse, ETCO2 from the LP15. "ok Glass, pushing D50 now" and it would save that as an event either tagged in the LP15, or to a pcr system.

"ok glass, record narrative 'upon arrival we found a 66 year old male seated on the couch in no apparent distress....'" Speech to text then records that in your pcr.

Mass casualty triage as you are walking through a scene "ok glass, add two patients... add 1 patient..... add three patients"

"OK glass, order more BVMs" or just look at the barcode and a message is sent to your supply person to place the order

on the way back to quarters at 3 am "ok glass, where is the nearest chinese takeout that is still open?"

I'm not saying all this is doable (although I think it is). I have a feeling a lot of people will dismiss glass as a gimmick (and not just for ems). Don't. This is seriously a game changer. Initially, it will just be people recording and exchanging goofy videos. But it will mature and find truly productive applications. Including in EMS.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Perfect, an excuse to talk tomyself and people not think I am crazy!

But I am not sure I like the idea of everyone walking around sounding like a bad submarine movie.

But if it would do the things you said, I would definately get one.

OP
OP
S

Simusid

Forum Captain
Perfect, an excuse to talk tomyself and people not think I am crazy!

But I am not sure I like the idea of everyone walking around sounding like a bad submarine movie.

Yeah. Having seen people with bluetooth headsets talking to themselves, I think it can definitely look pretty stupid. Nevertheless, I would not bet against google and I think this will become more common IF there are applications where it adds value

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Aside from displaying vitals, I could do all of that now with a good smart phone and the right applications.

CFal

Forum Captain
Yeah. Having seen people with bluetooth headsets talking to themselves, I think it can definitely look pretty stupid. Nevertheless, I would not bet against google and I think this will become more common IF there are applications where it adds value

hate bluetooth, I always think they are talking to me but they are just on the phone

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I use voice on my smart phone to dictate the narrative in my report. I use voice notes to dictate the supply order. It's a great tool...

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Can't iOS's "Siri" be used in the same way?

"Siri, what is <insert drug name here>".

I don't have Siri on my phone or iPad (iPad 2 and iPhone 4, older models) so I don't have first-hand experience using it.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm excited for this, not necessarily for EMS but because i'ma tech geek.

OP
OP
S

Simusid

Forum Captain
Can't iOS's "Siri" be used in the same way?

"Siri, what is <insert drug name here>".

I don't have Siri on my phone or iPad (iPad 2 and iPhone 4, older models) so I don't have first-hand experience using it.

I have no doubt that Apple will somehow turn Siri into the competitor of Glass. The only thing glass adds is the input (voice) and output (heads up display). Everything else is just aggregating existing services (sending texts, sending emails with attachments, videos, photos, location based services, text searching)

OP
OP
S

Simusid

Forum Captain
I'm excited for this, not necessarily for EMS but because i'ma tech geek.

I'm excited too! I'll probably get one as soon as they are available. I'm lucky enough to be a software developer and I'll probably get one from work.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
I have no doubt that Apple will somehow turn Siri into the competitor of Glass. The only thing glass adds is the input (voice) and output (heads up display). Everything else is just aggregating existing services (sending texts, sending emails with attachments, videos, photos, location based services, text searching)

but The difference is you're doing it completely hands free, with Siri or anything else like that you need to have your phone close by, also being able to record/take pictures without having to hold up whatever device you use is pretty great, and can't be done without using tactile input somehow.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm excited too! I'll probably get one as soon as they are available. I'm lucky enough to be a software developer and I'll probably get one from work.

Get two please *puppy eyes*

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Thinking it through, I could see an app for CPR timing, saying something like "pushing (drug name)" starts a timer for when you're able to give it again, also saying something like "Shock delivered." if it has a motion sensor since you're wearing it on your face and when doing good compressions your arms are locked, a counter or something that tells you the rate that you're doing it at, sounds an alarm if you go bellow 100/min. Def the GPS function for when driving somewhere unfamiliar going code 3.

OP
OP
S

Simusid

Forum Captain
Thinking it through, I could see an app for CPR timing, saying something like "pushing (drug name)" starts a timer for when you're able to give it again, also saying something like "Shock delivered." if it has a motion sensor since you're wearing it on your face and when doing good compressions your arms are locked, a counter or something that tells you the rate that you're doing it at, sounds an alarm if you go bellow 100/min. Def the GPS function for when driving somewhere unfamiliar going code 3.

Glass has a built in accelerometer just like the iPhone. I'm totally stealing that idea :)

CPRinProgress

Forum Lieutenant
Glass is definitely not a gimmick. It is a bridge until science will implant computers into our brains and we will be able to think about something and it will search the internet or send a text. I believe they might, at some point in the future, be able to splice into our vision and hearing and use our eyes as a HUD just my hopes for the future. As for ems there are things such as implantable medical alert tags that just by looking at the pt the glass could pick it up over Bluetooth and show medical history: and meds. Hopefully they could come up with internal vitals readers so you could look at a pt and get instant vitals or anything else you need. Plus if you hooked that into a life alert type system that anytime the bodies computer sensed something wrong with the body it could call 911

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Glass is definitely not a gimmick. It is a bridge until science will implant computers into our brains and we will be able to think about something and it will search the internet or send a text. I believe they might, at some point in the future, be able to splice into our vision and hearing and use our eyes as a HUD just my hopes for the future. As for ems there are things such as implantable medical alert tags that just by looking at the pt the glass could pick it up over Bluetooth and show medical history: and meds. Hopefully they could come up with internal vitals readers so you could look at a pt and get instant vitals or anything else you need. Plus if you hooked that into a life alert type system that anytime the bodies computer sensed something wrong with the body it could call 911

I am still waiting for the Matrix uploading port into my brain. It will make learning much more efficent.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I really think that Glass could be an awesome (and dangerous!) ePCR. Like "append video log to report".

CPRinProgress

Forum Lieutenant

Every field could benefit from apps specifically made to help them in their field, this could also be a good tool for bystanders that are not trained in CPR. The dispatcher could get a direct video feed and glass could bring up a training video while they are doing CPR.