Going for my inital interview for Volunteer ambulance corps. Suggestions?

jkostak

Forum Ride Along
I have my first interview with my local volunteer corps tonight. I dont currently have an EMT cert. any suggestions as far as do's/don'ts, attire, etc?

thanks for any help.

cfrench

Forum Crew Member
Without knowing anymore about you, wear clean respectable clothes. you don't need a suit but a button down shirt and something other than faded jeans would be nice. Show them you are more interested in the back of the truck over the front (Pt care Vs driving fast). Tell them honestly why you want to do the job. Tell me more about you and the service.

OP
OP
J

jkostak

Forum Ride Along
I am 17, graduating high school this year. the service is pretty well known in my area. 2 ambulances, small base within a historically jewish area. for the most part, i want to become a member to serve those in my local area and gain experience in EMS as a stepping stone to emergency medicine. i originally became interested in EMS because my mother (a former EMT) told me how important EMS is to a community, especially in a big city.

I was thinking of wearing higher end jeans with a button down shirt and casual shoes (NOT sneakers), decent or dressier?

JPINFV

Gadfly
As with any interview, you can't overdress for an interview. If you can go more formal, go more formal.

RailFan77

Forum Crew Member
I was thinking of wearing higher end jeans with a button down shirt and casual shoes (NOT sneakers), decent or dressier?

There should be nothing wrong with this. When I went to volunteer, I wore something along these lines.

They are usually more interested in why you want to do ride with them. Just be yourself and you should be fine.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
As with any interview, you can't overdress for an interview. If you can go more formal, go more formal.

someone laughed at my when I went to interview at Mcdonalds in a tuxedo :glare:

However don't act like you know everything. Be there, ask questions, and be willing to learn. Be attentive, on time, and be honest. Dress nicely but not in a tux :p

OP
OP
J

jkostak

Forum Ride Along
thanks for the help so far guys. ill post tonight when i get home and tell you how it goes.

hoping to really be part of the community soon.

PeteBlair

Forum Crew Member
Hey if you have problems there, come on down to Sun City Center, Florida and volunteer. Shorts and t-shirt will work like a champ!

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
I have my first interview with my local volunteer corps tonight. I dont currently have an EMT cert. any suggestions as far as do's/don'ts, attire, etc?

thanks for any help.

Sure.
I'm guessing you are in Jersey?
Get them to pay for your EMT.
After getting that, get hired somewhere that does 911, and is busy.
Go on to further your education and become a Paramedic, RN, RRT, MD, DO, Indian Chief, whatever.

Sasha

Forum Chief

There should be nothing wrong with this. When I went to volunteer, I wore something along these lines.

To me, anything denim screams "casual". You don't want casual, you want business casual or above, even when they specify a casual dress code. Those who go above and beyond are noticed.

Try some slacks with the shirt and shoes in the future.

OP
OP
J

jkostak

Forum Ride Along
i think my interview went well. the captain seemed to be very welcoming. since i am still under 18, the membership committee required a parental signature for the application form. I intend to return it tonight, as the next EMT class starts on the 31st of this month.

for the record, i am located in NYC