Glendale fire assaults patient after patient assaults them

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
So then you would file charges for seizure patients, head trauma patients, or diabetic patients who are combative?

How about people under the influence of alcohol or substance abusers?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
How about people under the influence of alcohol or substance abusers?
Those weren't the ones I listed. Saying that charges should be filed on everyone who assults/is combative with EMS is a very horrible blanket statement. Imagine getting T-bones at an intersection and waking up a couple of days later with an assult/battery charge on you that you had no control of.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Those weren't the ones I listed. Saying that charges should be filed on everyone who assults/is combative with EMS is a very horrible blanket statement. Imagine getting T-bones at an intersection and waking up a couple of days later with an assult/battery charge on you that you had no control of.

And where did I write what you just stated??

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
So by saying medics and firefighters dont get paid to be hit that's me saying "charges should be filed on everyone who assults/is combative with EMS"

Are we both reading and writing in English here?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So by saying medics and firefighters dont get paid to be hit that's me saying "charges should be filed on everyone who assults/is combative with EMS"

Are we both reading and writing in English here?
The part where you said "be it by someone of 'proper state of mind' or not. That to me means anyone who knows what they are doing or does not know what they are doing.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Read through my posts if you can be bothered- at no point did I even mention filing charges on ANYONE, you seem to have taken something and ran with it. Does it say on your job application that you are expected to be hit at work? Because that is all that I wrote...the rest is you assuming something I never even hinted at or intended.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I guess my confusion was when you quoted another post that was solely directed at filing charges on people who assult providers.

Joey DeMartino

Forum Crew Member
Seems like Cap. might benefit from a little cultural diversity & sensitivity training.

He could have walked away from this one. There were a couple of pretty calm-big bruisers available to take over. No more Red Bull for you.

Been there- so I won't judge. But I just can't justify the verbal abuse. Maybe sign language education would have been a fairly useful tool here as well.

Last edited:

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Why shouldn't people who assualt healthcare workers be brought up on charges? even if it is a mental problem or they are drunk? If they attack a civilian they are arrested and prosecuted; although sometimes they are found not guilty due to mental issues. But they are prosecuted.
Here in Utah there is a bill being brought before the state law makers that is hopefully going to change it so that if an inmate attacks an EMT or Nurse at a prison or Jail it is a felony just like if they attack a LEO; because right now it is just a misdemeanor.

But in 16 years in EMS with probably 20 or so assualts committed on me I have only had 2 go to jail, and only one get prosecuted. "They were too drunk to know better". Well people who drink and drive and assault someone are too drunk to know better and they are being prosecuted more and more.
But when I used to work retail EVERYONE that ever assaulted me went to jail or prison over it, all 4 of them in 13 years.

Just shows that EMS is the low person on the totem pole of public workers.