Gay in EMS?

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
A little late here....

my opinion... and everyone don't jump on me here

I have no problem if your gay/lesbian/bi/ or any of the above.... you a person and i have no problem who you love.

I have a problem if...;

1. they're hitting on me. I don't roll that way. so, please, stop asking (theres a story behind that one)

2. they decide to give me a whole long speech about how I (being republican and catholic) are not tolerant to their culture. I am very tolerant... but I do not agree with gay marriage in any church/religion that does not accept them. If they want marriage in the state... thats fine and good.... but keep it out of religion. After all, it was adam and eve. I'm not trying to sound condesending or anything, but having been raised in California has really "bugged" me because everyone automatically things that because Im a catholic republican, I automatically hate gays/lesbians/etc... which isnt the case by a long shot.

anyhow. sorry for the short rant. but I just want to add my 2 cents and make it clear that I am perfectly fine with gay/lesbians in EMS. Theyre great people and whatever their preference is.... thats fine by me so long as it doesn't interfere with my work :p

I can completely understand your POV. And you are the first person that *I've* heard in the great gay marriage debate that is fine with it by state but keeping it apart from religion. As a lifelong devout Anglican, now atheist bisexual, I truly understand your side of the argument. Perhaps not necessarily "adam and eve" but the fact that the bible, as the word of god, clearly states that if a man should lay with another man the way he would lay with a woman. It is a sin. The bible is the word of God. To question the word of God is an unforgivable sin. I totally get you there. And you are absolutely right. Tolerance and respect should be given and taught on all sides of the coin. Don't expect someone to take your beliefs/feelings when you dont respect or honor theirs. But that is a large part of whats wrong with this world. Anywho I digress.

Obviously, being bi I couldn't give a rats about what anyones sexual orientation is or gender either biological or surgically gained. Just because you have the right goods, doesn't mean they want them. ;)

JPINFV

Gadfly
what about post op transsexuals. no one has said anything about th T group in LBGT. thoughts anyone?:p

Transsexuals are in an entirely different category since there's legitimate diseases and disorders that lead to it (gender dysphoria, children born with ambiguous genitalia, etc. There's a rather famous case of a botched circumcision where the parents decided to raise their child as a girl. He ended up transitioning back to being male). As with any other -sexual, as long it's kept out of work, it shouldn't matter.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Transsexuals are in an entirely different category since there's legitimate diseases and disorders that lead to it (gender dysphoria, children born with ambiguous genitalia, etc. There's a rather famous case of a botched circumcision where the parents decided to raise their child as a girl. He ended up transitioning back to being male). As with any other -sexual, as long it's kept out of work, it shouldn't matter.

Gender dysphoria may go the way of homosexuality when it was taken out of the DSM in the late 70s someday. Just last month the APA reviewed the evidence for conversion therapy (turning gay people into straight people through psychotherapy) and decided it was bogus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robby1974

Forum Crew Member
Ok back after long Hiatus.

I haven't been on here in forever but this thread caught my eye again. I personally know of a ginger girl (Her name is Ginger actually) and she's one of the most competent medics I know. Totally laffin at the red head joke though....does strawberry blong with red facial hair count....bring on the blonde jokes lol.
Anyway...yeah I could see gender dysphoria diagnoses going the way of the dinosaur. I have been through ex-gay counseling through the church. It was a great program that helped me deal with a lot of issues but it didn't make me straight. Everyone I was close to in the program (about 40 in the group total) about 5 or so guys are all gay and out of the closet now. Many have held onto their faith (like myself) others have not. Great post BTW about agreeing with gay marriage on the state level. There are actually plenty of churches out there who will perform a same sex ceremony anyway. I just want to be treated like everyone else. IE...being able to file a joint tax return, buy a house together, raise a family. Everything that I had when I was married to a woman and everyone takes for granted. I should be allowed to screw up my life as much as straight people. :)

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I haven't been on here in forever but this thread caught my eye again. I personally know of a ginger girl (Her name is Ginger actually) and she's one of the most competent medics I know. Totally laffin at the red head joke though....does strawberry blong with red facial hair count....bring on the blonde jokes lol.
Anyway...yeah I could see gender dysphoria diagnoses going the way of the dinosaur. I have been through ex-gay counseling through the church. It was a great program that helped me deal with a lot of issues but it didn't make me straight. Everyone I was close to in the program (about 40 in the group total) about 5 or so guys are all gay and out of the closet now. Many have held onto their faith (like myself) others have not. Great post BTW about agreeing with gay marriage on the state level. There are actually plenty of churches out there who will perform a same sex ceremony anyway. I just want to be treated like everyone else. IE...being able to file a joint tax return, buy a house together, raise a family. Everything that I had when I was married to a woman and everyone takes for granted. I should be allowed to screw up my life as much as straight people. :)

You should contact the program you went through and tell them that it is no longer ethical to involve mental health professionals in these sorts of programs. The statement released by the APA not only calls conversion therapy ineffective, but points to potential harm to patients. Without even dragging politics or faith into this, the practice simply violates evidence based practices and the standard of care.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
You should contact the program you went through and tell them that it is no longer ethical to involve mental health professionals in these sorts of programs. The statement released by the APA not only calls conversion therapy ineffective, but points to potential harm to patients. Without even dragging politics or faith into this, the practice simply violates evidence based practices and the standard of care.

Unfortunately, there's no real oversight or enforcement for therapy in religious settings. The APA can get someone's license pulled, but churches often aren't using licensed practitioners to begin with. I'm not sure where I stand on that. On the one hand, state oversight of religious counseling is really sticky, especially considering attitudes towards religion among psych people. On the other, religious institutions engage in some really harmful practices.

As for my views on orientation... I don't care who anyone screws, as long as I don't hear about it. I'm equally uncomfortable with all coworkers who like to talk about their sex lives. Not like I'll do anything about it, though. (And no, I'm not one of those people who thinks mentioning having a relationship or orientation is talk about sex. I mean graphic detail.)

I'm a big fan of state marriage being for any consenting adults, and religious marriage being for whoever the religion wants it to be. Change in religious practice needs to come from inside if it comes at all.

I also don't mind bunking with lesbian or trans coworkers. In fact, I don't mind men staying in the women's bunkroom, either, as occasionally happens if we're short on space and nobody objects. We all sleep in our uniforms anyways, and the bathrooms are private.

The only issue I've ever had with trans people is when I can't tell which gender they're going towards, and they get really offended when you use the wrong pronoun.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I can completely understand your POV. And you are the first person that *I've* heard in the great gay marriage debate that is fine with it by state but keeping it apart from religion. As a lifelong devout Anglican, now atheist bisexual, I truly understand your side of the argument. Perhaps not necessarily "adam and eve" but the fact that the bible, as the word of god, clearly states that if a man should lay with another man the way he would lay with a woman. It is a sin. The bible is the word of God. To question the word of God is an unforgivable sin. I totally get you there. And you are absolutely right. Tolerance and respect should be given and taught on all sides of the coin. Don't expect someone to take your beliefs/feelings when you dont respect or honor theirs. But that is a large part of whats wrong with this world. Anywho I digress.

Obviously, being bi I couldn't give a rats about what anyones sexual orientation is or gender either biological or surgically gained. Just because you have the right goods, doesn't mean they want them. ;)

why thank you :p glad to know that my point of view is respected and that people "understand" my point of view and where I'm coming from!

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
I think its a prequisite for where I work:p There are plenty of gay/bi/lesbian folks here, I couldn't care less, the vast majority are great EMT's and medics, their orientation doesn't effect patient care whatsoever.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
As for my views on orientation... I don't care who anyone screws, as long as I don't hear about it. I'm equally uncomfortable with all coworkers who like to talk about their sex lives. Not like I'll do anything about it, though. (And no, I'm not one of those people who thinks mentioning having a relationship or orientation is talk about sex. I mean graphic detail.)
I completely agree with you on that one, I'm the same way. IMO there are some things that people should just keep to themselves.