Future of EMS,,In your opinion

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Something to think about....

Kindergarten teachers require a 4 year bachelors degree to teach little kids how to color and count to 10 yet we allow paramedics to be taught by instructors who only hold associates degrees (Is that a requirement? I know most instructors I have seen have AAS but do some programs just have paramedics teaching?). What in a paramedic associates degree prepares them to be able to teach or to do anything more then flip through pre-made powerpoints distributed with the text books? Its like the blind leading the blind.

An associates degree? Surely you jest.

In my home state, and how I got my teaching credentials, you need 5 years experience as an EMS provider and you can be certified to teach at the highest level you hold.

Recently they added the requirement of having to take a class (like most EMS measured in hours) on how to be an instructor. You can finish the class in a weekend.

That means you can be a MFR for 5 years and a paramedic for 1 day and get credentialed to teach Paramedics.

Since I always compare everything to nursing... instructors are required to have their MSN to teach. Many are DNP/Phds. My patho instructor had his Phd in physiology.

:rofl:

I love this comment.

In the pathophy dept, we jest that physiologists are really pathophysiologists who didn't finish their program. (because everyone knows if you don't understand how normal works, you have no chance to understand abnormal)

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
:rofl:

I love this comment.

In the pathophy dept, we jest that physiologists are really pathophysiologists who didn't finish their program. (because everyone knows if you don't understand how normal works, you have no chance to understand abnormal)

I think it is actually a dual pathophys/phys Phd. You get the point lol

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
There is a possibility that the assessment skills of IFT are actually better.

They see the progression of disease processes over time.

They see the entire history.

The med lists are more accurate. They also usually say what the meds are for.

They also regularly deal with patients who are sicker than most 911 patients.

This is so, so true. 911 medics may be more proficient with their 'skills', but IFT medics are, in my opinion, more knowledgable.

I totally forgot what this thread was about, so I apologize. I've always been convinced of this, though. You can learn waaaaaaaay more IFT than 911.