Funny radio traffic

emtchicky156

Forum Crew Member
Such and such fire department respond mutal aide to a grass fire with your gas truck. I guess we arent in the buisness of putting out fires anymore we are gonna make them bigger.

BloodNGlory02

Forum Crew Member
Actually, sometimes 'gas trucks' are called to scenes. Trucks DO run on gas ya know, and if the last guy didnt fill it up they tend to run out on scene.... ;0 just a past experience of having to call a gas truck to the scene to fill up.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Yup, true, it's still funny to hear a gas truck called to a fire scene.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Unless they were planning on doing a HUGE backburn to control the fire.

OP
OP
E

emtchicky156

Forum Crew Member
It was supposed to be a grass truck this dispatcher seemed to be having a bad day and I got a good laugh at her expense. hehe

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by emtchicky156@Apr 6 2005, 10:28 AM
It was supposed to be a grass truck this dispatcher seemed to be having a bad day and I got a good laugh at her expense. hehe
What sort of Gas??? Medical air? O2?

Dunno, but its all a gas, man......

BloodNGlory02

Forum Crew Member

Gasoline/diesel for those working fires that take hours to get under control. The trucks tend to run low after an hour of working.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Speaking of Large scale incidents - What do you have avalible for food? My Co. has an "Auxiliary" that comes out with coffee, gatorade and sodas for larger incidents. The chief asks for the response. They also will provide food for LARGE incidents - hamburgers/hot dogs or other stuff - depends on leftover supplies from banquets in the fridges. We also have good relationships with local buisnesses, and Wawa is VERY understanding (Being NEXT DOOR to the station).

There is also a co. in the county with a Canteen that can be called for. They can do hamburger/hotdogs/coffee/sodas onsite. we don't use them, but other co's do.

Jon

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Apr 11 2005, 03:36 PM
Speaking of Large scale incidents - What do you have avalible for food?
Is your Red Cross or Salvation Army active in your area?

The Red Cross in the county I used to live in in Indiana was paged out automatically to any working fire or if smoke is showing upon the first engine's arrival.

Once we got the page we would contact IC over the radio, determine the size of the fire and what was needed and would be rolling to the scene within 30 mins of page ready to serve.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie+Apr 11 2005, 06:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chimpie @ Apr 11 2005, 06:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@Apr 11 2005, 03:36 PM
Speaking of Large scale incidents - What do you have avalible for food?
Is your Red Cross or Salvation Army active in your area?

The Red Cross in the county I used to live in in Indiana was paged out automatically to any working fire or if smoke is showing upon the first engine's arrival.

Once we got the page we would contact IC over the radio, determine the size of the fire and what was needed and would be rolling to the scene within 30 mins of page ready to serve. [/b][/quote]
I wish... we can get red cross for disaster relief for fire families etc...

Jon

OP
OP
E

emtchicky156

Forum Crew Member
We usually take gatorade, water, and coffee with us to fires and such. We've never really had a need for anything else. A few years ago in a diff county they had a huge fire that my dept responded to for mutal aide mcd's brought food out for free BK was gonna bring food out but was going to charge for it.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
At the FD our protocol for fires is that the ambulance rolls last and while we're waiting to roll (since 2 engines and a rescue truck take a few minutes to gear up and head out) we fill up a cooler with ice water and grab a bucket we have that is stocked with 8oz gatorades and a sleeve of cups. For longer incidents, we have a rehab kit which has thermometers, physical exam sheets, accountability system, NRBs, gatorade mix, cups, ice packs, and some gauze & tape. For really long scenes we can call for the Red Cross to bring out their canteen.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
We have had a lot of rain and flooding over the last 10 days. Last week while I was doing my rotation through dispatch on of the Med Units calls in saying they were on scene with a vehicle that had water up past its windows with people stuck inside. They were going to help the people out and try and move the vehicle out of the road way.

After a few minutes they call back in and state:

"MED so-n-so to Rescue."

"Go Ahead"

"All occupants are out of the vehicle and the vehicle is out of the road way. We have completed our swimming lesson and we are enroute to a warm shower."

It did help to break up the stress of the night.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
MICU 77 to MedCOMM: We need an Air Unit to Meet us at GMC for a transport, were running on empty.

COMM: Ten-Four....

Our translation of Air Unit: North East Air Gas.. The people who give us new on board oxygen cylinders...

They were out of onboard oxygen, and using E cylinders.

COMM's translation: LifeFlight Helicopter.

Dispatcher thought they were out of gas, and needed a Medevac to finish the transport for them.

OOPS.

Funny for us.. Since the dispatcher is in our office, and that's what everyone calls the oxygen truck "Air Unit 1 & Air Unit 2"

Summit

Critical Crazy
(after an 0430 SAR page)
Ops Repeater X - "Rescue XX, Rescue YY, can you confirm the party has been located so that we can proceed to the station and eat the breakfast that Rescue ZZ has gathered for us?"

(0200, hours into a SAR missing party search during a BLIZZARD)
MRA1:
"Relay, Command, please inform all field teams that the missing party has been located... in a BAR"
"Command, Relay, they'll kill me!"
"Relay, Team 2, Why will we kill you?"

few minutes later

"Command, Relay, negative contact Team 1"
"Relay, Command, please instruct Team 4 redirect to contact team 1"

later, field team 1 returns

"Relay, Command, please advise Team 4 that Team 1 has returned"

few minutes later

"Command, Relay, Negative contact team 4"

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by BloodNGlory02@Apr 9 2005, 07:44 PM

Gasoline/diesel for those working fires that take hours to get under control. The trucks tend to run low after an hour of working.
What trucks are you using?? I have been on a 6 hour fire before and never needed to fuel up... Gass guzzler has a whole new level out where you are I guess!! :lol:

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by coloradoemt+Apr 16 2005, 10:20 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (coloradoemt @ Apr 16 2005, 10:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BloodNGlory02@Apr 9 2005, 07:44 PM

What trucks are you using?? I have been on a 6 hour fire before and never needed to fuel up... Gass guzzler has a whole new level out where you are I guess!! :lol: [/b][/quote]
I'd be curious about that too...but maybe the trucks weren't full when they went to the fire.

Have been on scene at a structure fire for 12 hours and didn't have to fill any of the trucks. Same thing with a woods fire, had at least one Engine from every fire station in 4 counties out to fight that one, and not one of them had to be refilled mid operation. Now our brush truck, it was pushing the big E near the end, but it runs on Unleaded regular not Diesal

devist8me

Forum Probie
Enroute to an MVA, a first responder wanted to give us additional directions:

FR: "....then go right and we're at the bad *** curve"
(He was thinking "S" curve, but his slang made it much better.)

Busy dispatcher talking fast: "....pt is going to be a 90 year old female, conscious and alert, complaining of pain above the umilical cord...." She stops short.

Crew: "alrighty then".

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
"Bald Eagle to Brown bear, come in"

"Bald eagle this is brown bear, go ahead"

This went on periodically all day at my ride along at the fire station... none of the FF's knew who it was or what was going on. Some guessed training maybe, but the names got more weird as the day went on.

"Sitting fox. Over and out."

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
A dispatcher in my area just got fined 100.00 for each of 5 uses of the F word he happened to spew out in rapid succession during a rather hectic call volume moment and of course into his still open mic...