Funny call

remote_medic

Forum Crew Member
I challange anyone on this board to tell me they have had this happen to them...

Get called out to a private residence for a possible 10-48 (unattended death). Mail man called in a "dead body" in the back of a parked car in the driveway. We roll code 3, supervisor rolls code 3, and PD rolls code 3. I'm first up to the car and look in the window and crack up laughing...

Extra large overstuffed teddy bear laying sideways on the back seat

Took me a minute of laughing to be able to tell dispatch...

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow, in that situation I would hate to be the Mail Man. But I doubt anyone will be able to top that. LMAO

jochi1543

Forum Captain
LOL, classic.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
That is funnier than the guy that tried to commit suicide by bitting his wrists.
I still think the one I had that said the world was going to end by nuclear war.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Code Teddy!!

Hmmmm....... So did you folks work the call?? LOL :p:p:p

tydek07

Forum Captain
LOL that is awsome... What did the mail man have to say?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I was in a store and one of the clerks was talking about how she takes a nap in a church parking lot every day during her lunch hour and it really helped her through the work day. Then one day, she woke up to a cop knocking on her window... someone had seen her the day before and then again the next day in the exact same place and thought she was dead. ROFL

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
HAHA, but does it bother anyone else that so many people are quick to "look" and call 911 without checking details first (in a non hostile situation) ? Maybe some of you can shed some light as to why soooo many people do this. lol.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
We got dispatched to our 'white trash' area for a person down. after getting there, finding a very dead person next to their car: we talked to the neighbor who called it in.
He noticed the person down, Weds evening when he got home from work, pt was still there, thursday am and pm, and Fri am. Neighbor called 911 Friday evening when he came home from work, because he was worried because it was only 10deg outside
after 60+ hrs the guy gets worried;. glad I don't live in that neighborhood.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
HA! That reminds me of something that happened to a friend of mine. He had a very large toy stuffed dog in the back seat of his car and had it parked in the parking lot at work on a hot summer day. He ended up with the police and the local animal welfare agency tracking him down.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
We got dispatched to our 'white trash' area for a person down. after getting there, finding a very dead person next to their car: we talked to the neighbor who called it in.
He noticed the person down, Weds evening when he got home from work, pt was still there, thursday am and pm, and Fri am. Neighbor called 911 Friday evening when he came home from work, because he was worried because it was only 10deg outside
after 60+ hrs the guy gets worried;. glad I don't live in that neighborhood.

Oh boy! Sounds like something that would happen around here. "Hey, I noticed that Cledus is just laying there and I'm afraid he's gonna get all cold. He's been laying in the same spot for a long time." I could hear it now.

931emt

Forum Ride Along
No where close to the mail man story but, got dispatched at start of shift
(645am) to our local nursing home for 10-70(obvious death). U/A found a female in bed uc/ur cold to touch, rigid set in, drawn in. Ask staff last time pt contact was made?!? They said 6 am that morning for a blood sugar test.Why?? We just shook our heads, partner asked for sugar #. LOL

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
My EMT-B instructor told us about a great call they got recently. It came through as a suicide by hanging, and the man had been found by his wife. The dispatcher told them that CPR was in progress by the wife because he was still warm. As they were getting ready to go, an update came through, that the wife was getting hysterical because the pt "wouldn't let her continue CPR."

I'm just imagining this poor guy trying to fend off his wife's over-eager chest compressions.

rescuebill

Forum Ride Along
While not an official call that I was on, it is one that happened in the town I work in.

Seems the neighbors had been being "terrorized" by a certain neighbor’s pit bull. Mailman refused to enter the yard due to this "ferocious" beast on the front porch. Apparently this went on for days before the animal control could catch up to the owner.

When informed of the threatening nature of the dog, and the owner’s potential liability, and legal obligations to keep the dog in check, he simply stated:

"Did you give him a quarter ? He really likes quarters! If you give him a quarter, or any spare change for that matter, he will be your friend!!”

Seems this snarling mass of mean spirited dog was a life size ceramic "piggy bank" statue, which the owner had left on the front porch. The owner but a real collar and leash on it and secured it to the rocking chair on the front porch.