Frontier and Rural versus Urban/Suburban EMS

Do you think a separate non-urban EMS section is needed?

• I'm urban, and I say it's unneeded.

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • I'm urban and I say it would be useful.

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • I'm non-urban, and I say it's unneeded.

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • I'm non-urban and I say it would be useful.

Votes: 15 30.6%

• Total voters
OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Next time I post a poll I'll try for demographics.

I'll bet you a nickle the "rural/nonurban" folks who are against the tbhoght of being treated separately are young and impressionable, while the majority of nonurban folks not favoring an area of acent (not "purdah") are older and not as likely to one day move to or be swallowed up by an urb, suburb, or ex-urb.;)

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Next time I post a poll I'll try for demographics.

I'll bet you a nickle the "rural/nonurban" folks who are against the tbhoght of being treated separately are young and impressionable, while the majority of nonurban folks not favoring an area of acent (not "purdah") are older and not as likely to one day move to or be swallowed up by an urb, suburb, or ex-urb.;)
Total sample to date 29, rounded responses against, 34.5% urban against, 27.5% rural against.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I guess I just play the continual role of socratic gadfly to remind our urban brotheren and sisteren that the rules shouldn't be made just to suit their situations.

artman17847

Forum Crew Member
mycrofft great thread!

I have worked urban EMS most of my career, did most my TX on scene and transported 10 mins to any hosp. 15 mins to level 1 trauma center. Now i have moved out to the country and I'am now begining to learn that rural EMS can be very challenging.

Its 45 mins by ground to a cath lab or trauma ctr. I get to spend alot more time managing my pt. and thus end up doing more than I was used to working in a city system. Most stuff is done enroute, IV's, blood draws, etc.

I got to experience my first deer season out here.

1-diabetic found lying at the base of tree he was just off a main road.

2- was a guy 2 miles in that fell out of his stand and FX his tib-fib

3- guy shot himself in the tib and top of his foot he was 5 miles in that was fun trying to get to him.

the guys at the station keep ribbing about geting my first agricultrual rescue. there are bets it will be either someone falling into a manure pit or rolling thier combine, I guess we will see.:wacko:

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Keep it the same...

I say that, though, and I work both rural and large urban area. The difference that matters to me most is that in rural, a 12 hour shift is 12 hours, not 13.5 :p

medic417

The Truth Provider
I say that, though, and I work both rural and large urban area. The difference that matters to me most is that in rural, a 12 hour shift is 12 hours, not 13.5 :p
But actually in rural a 12 hour shift ends up being 16 or more as you get a call after 11.5 hours of quit and have to take them to the hospital which is nowhere near the station.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
But actually in rural a 12 hour shift ends up being 16 or more as you get a call after 11.5 hours of quit and have to take them to the hospital which is nowhere near the station.

You know, that's actually true. Due to lack of units in rural, I've been stuck with an LDT toward the end of a twelve, too. Thankfully, I have a white cloud for that, and it's not too often. I generally find the call diversity and type to be much more enjoyable at my rural service. Also, lack of nearby definitive care places additional responsibility on you. I get much more satisfaction from my patients there.

medic417

The Truth Provider
You know, that's actually true. Due to lack of units in rural, I've been stuck with an LDT toward the end of a twelve, too. Thankfully, I have a white cloud for that, and it's not too often. I generally find the call diversity and type to be much more enjoyable at my rural service. Also, lack of nearby definitive care places additional responsibility on you. I get much more satisfaction from my patients there.

Our nearest hospital is more than an hour away. It is satisfying to diagnose, treat, then see the results of your treatments. Of course if your treatment does not make them better it can also get a little tense.:p

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Interesting to see how the poll has stabilized. Thanks!

I'm in a "rural" area for the next week and the mindset you adopt is different.
Isn't someone from Clackamas County (home of Tonya Harding) on EMTLIFE??

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Sorry, I think we ought to reconsider this.

Reasons rural people can benefit from networking and urban people can benefit from seeing their concentrated experience and outlook:
1. Urban tends to be professional and frequently civilian; rural tends to be semi-pro or vollie, and fire based.
2. Urban tends to have a higher proportion of ALS versus BLS, versus rural.
3. Urban tends to have more government support if fire-based or independent service, while rural tends to get a portion of its $$ through fundraisers, shareholders, subscribers, etc.
4. Rural response times to closest facility tend (increasingly) to be longer. (Not neccessarily to the best facility, but to ANY facility).
5. Rural has more days per year when conventional road transport is "iffy".
6. Urban responders rarely have to cope with gorings, stompings, bites, tractor turnovers, corn auger entrapments, woodstove poisonings (carbon monoxide), exposure, chainsaw and ax accidents ("axidents"?), massive chigger or poison oak cases, and prolonged extractions on foot/via sled/on a litter. Rural folks see their share of meth lab accidents, alcoholism, family disputes, GSW, MVA's, MI's, child abuse, etc. too.

Nothing is there to prevent folks from reading and responding to other threads and posts, it wouldn't be a ghetto, but it IS a different paradigm in some ways and facilitating the exchange of ideas and experience through concentration I think would be a good deal.

PS: Any Amish EMS out there? No, wait, this is the Internet...you could relay their stories!).

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
That being said. Our blend would make it so that I would have to post half of my questions in one category and the other half in another category.

Same. I work in one area that's pretty rural, and another that's pretty urban. As long as people generally remember that posters may well be in very different circumstances, I don't see any need for separate forums.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

OK, fugettaboudit.

.......;)........