Frontier and Rural versus Urban/Suburban EMS

Do you think a separate non-urban EMS section is needed?

• I'm urban, and I say it's unneeded.

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • I'm urban and I say it would be useful.

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • I'm non-urban, and I say it's unneeded.

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • I'm non-urban and I say it would be useful.

Votes: 15 30.6%

• Total voters

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I sense a watershed between city-folks and country folks here. Our media-driven paradigms are largely urban/fire EMS or urban/hospital EMS. Do you think a (another!) separate section inviting rural/frontier EMS discussion would be good and more-inclusive, or should we all just remember that not everyone get Johnny and Roy or Dr Green and Frank whenever they call 911 or get on ther ham radio?

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I think we all have a lot to learn from each other so best to stick together.

flhtci01

Forum Captain
Working in both settings, I do not think we need a seperate section. I have both learned from and taught different techniques to the other setting. What we need is more open communications not another link in the communication chain.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I sense a watershed between city-folks and country folks here. Our media-driven paradigms are largely urban/fire EMS or urban/hospital EMS. Do you think a (another!) separate section inviting rural/frontier EMS discussion would be good and more-inclusive, or should we all just remember that not everyone get Johnny and Roy or Dr Green and Frank whenever they call 911 or get on ther ham radio?

If you kept them apart each side would be missing a wealth of information and insight from the other. It's best to remember that they're not totally the same, but they're not that different, either. It all boils down to patient care, doesn't it?

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

The poll is oddly even except for "I'm urban and it isn't needed"

33%, 22% for all others. Be sure to punch those hanging chads.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
I work rural, but I find it very interesting to read about urban experiences. We definitely tend to get different types of calls. I'm thinking about doing my practicum on the reserve, that should be yet another unique environment. If anyone here has worked on a reserve, I would be interested in hearing about it.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Personally, I think a few of the divisions aren't really needed. When I hop on the board I simply hit the "new posts" link and open the threads that look interesting. If that means I'm reading and posting in a thread in the ALS section, then so be it. Similarly, if there was a rural EMS section (would that mean, then, that there should be a forum for urban and another forum for suburban EMS?), then I would still probably end up posting in a few threads in there simply because I don't constrain myself by which section it's in.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

JPINFV, I'm like you.

...except I try to remember to search mycrofft for the occasional buried reply.
Interesting how this has been interpreted as becomnig a wall between rural/urban instead of a means to tease out the specialties of non-urban response.
PS just for the books now the non-urban/nonneeded responses are up to 35% taking a slight lead over urban/nonneeded.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

My two polls

Oddly the ratios of folks identifying themselves as rural and urban differ. Go figure.
PS: 64% urban and nonurban feel a nonurban division is unnecessary.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Of course with a sample of fourteen...

;)............

Sasha

Forum Chief
mycroft is trying to turn us into emtcity!! Get him >:[!!!

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I just looked though my bookcase full of EMT, EMR, and Paramedic textbooks from just about every publisher. I looked for "Emergency Care for Hay Seeds" as well as "Paramedic Care for City Slickers" and I cannot find any that are produced specifically for EMS in a demographical setting.

I think we are fine with the categories already in place.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Do you have a problem with people who frequent both sites? :sad::glare:

Nope! I've been lurking on emtcity for a couple of weeks, actually.

keith10247

Forum Lieutenant
I live in a unique 1st due. We have cows and mcmansions now. If you go 5 miles east, you run in to more mcmansions... 10 miles east and you are on a road lined with stores surrounded by the ghetto. Now if you go out west, OMG the mountain folk scare me; thankfully, they do not call us much because they believe that a little infection builds charecter.

Oh and 40ish miles east, you run in to our nation's capital.

That being said. Our blend would make it so that I would have to post half of my questions in one category and the other half in another category.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Now if you go out west, OMG the mountain folk scare me; thankfully, they do not call us much because they believe that a little infection builds charecter.

ROFL, You would sooooo not be happy in my neighborhood. We actually had some loggers coming down out of the hills with their buddy in the front seat of the pickup, doing chest compressions on him against the seat... bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy... not much actual compression going on though. Then the guy who truly believed that if an AED wasn't around, you could sure try to spark 'em with a car battery couldn't you?

As to the OP, I don't want to see rural EMS separated from urban. While our protocols may vary a bit, I hesitate to remove rural from the equation. I think we need to admit that rural is part of what we do. Same pt, same symptoms, totally different situation. Rural areas need to be considered and addressed when formulating policy and creating training modalities. To pretend that we're just different and separate is doing us and our pts a disservice.

eric2068

Forum Crew Member
I have worked urban, suburban, and rural, and the one thing I have noticed is that an MI does not know where it is, and it will try to kill your patient just the same. Yes in a rural setting you have a longer transport time, but the calls are the same, the only difference is the volume. To be honest, now that I work in a combination suburban/ rural area, and I love it. Don't have the volume that I had in the city, but for the most part, the calls are interesting.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't feel the division is warranted. The definition of urban, suburban and rural will be different depending on who you ask so it would get very muddy as far as deciding where to post a question that could benefit from several viewpoints anyway.

keith10247

Forum Lieutenant
Can we do this in real life? I would love to see a few certain rural EMTs seperate from the urban side of things! :lol:

And no, not ALL rural folk...just a couple.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Can we do this in real life? I would love to see a few certain rural EMTs seperate from the urban side of things! :lol:

And no, not ALL rural folk...just a couple.

cutting us out from the herd???