Four Oakland officers murdered in the Line of Duty

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Four police officers are in critical condition and a suspect is dead after two shootings in an Oakland, California, neighborhood, Saturday afternoon, police confirmed.

Police received a call around 1:15 p.m. reporting two officers down on MacArthur Boulevard, Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan said.

A manhunt was under way for the shooter when an anonymous caller directed authorities to a building on an adjacent street where the gunman was believed to be barricaded, Jordan said.

- CNN.com
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03/21/california.officers/index.html

My prayers for the officers. What a terrible thing to do, shoot four cops.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Oakland is a bizarre city. Just a few days ago they had another protest against the police stemming from the death of Oscar Grant shot by the BART PD officer. There were even a few "Death to the Police" chants. It will be interesting to see how the city rallies for this.

This is also a good example on how tight-lipped professionals can be in both healthcare and the PD to protect the privacy of the officers and their families as well as the continuing investigation. The local news teams have been told by the hospital spokesperson to wait for an official release from PD later today. And, they have respected that request.

My prayers are with the officers and their families.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Thoughts and prayers go out to the officers, their families, and department.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
my thoughts go out to those officers and their families.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
Tragic, Hope they make a speedy recovery.

Glad they got the perp.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Public memorial for the four officers

I am in the Bay area right now and am truly touched by the show of support from EMS and FDs for the families and the PD. It has been a somber and heart felt tragic event for this area.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/news/oakland-police-shooting/

A public memorial service is scheduled for 11 a.m. Friday at the Oracle Arena, 7000 Coliseum Way in Oakland. The Rev. Jayson Landeza, Police Department chaplain, will lead and conduct the service.

This will be televised locally and national news stations may cover it as well.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Slain Oakland officer's organs save four men

Thursday, March 26, 2009

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/25/BASR16N0JT.DTL&tsp=1

(03-25) 15:32 PDT OAKLAND -- Even in death, Oakland police Officer John Hege has saved four lives.

Hege, who was among four officers killed Saturday by a gunman in East Oakland, has given renewed hope to four men. One now has Hege's heart beating inside him. Two others have his kidneys and a fourth has the 41-year-old officer's liver.

Hege made it be known that if he died, he wanted to be an organ donor. Officials said Wednesday that his action had meant a second chance for the four men.

"He chose in death as he did in life to help those in need," the California Transplant Donor Network said in a statement. "We know those who are receiving his gifts thank him and his family with gratitude and a shared sense of loss at his passing."

Sasha

Forum Chief
How was the memorial service, Vent?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
A very impressive out pouring of community support. 25,000 attended.

It was really heart felt to see the number of LEOs and FFs from different parts of the U.S. and Canada show up for this tragic event.

Gov. Schwarzenegger and Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosiwere there. But, it was the LEOs and FFs that were extremely impressive in their show of support.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
i saw a report on bill orielly yesterday about people holding a rally to support the cop killer. i'm having a hard time trying to find a link to the story though. what is wrong with people.

Hockey

Quackers
Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
i saw a report on bill orielly yesterday about people holding a rally to support the cop killer. i'm having a hard time trying to find a link to the story though. what is wrong with people.

Yes, there have been a few rallies for that.

They postponed a preliminary hearing for the BART Police Officer who is accused of shooting a black man. Some of the rallies stemmed from that which has already caused several days of rioting and damages in Oakland since January 1.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
To protect and serve was their calling on earth, now they walk upon the light of heaven and look out for all of us........

My thoughts and prayers tto the family and friends that have lost so much......... -_-