For the love of God...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
O2 stat!

Right past the "Lare-Nix"

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
Well our lab guy loved to talk about the Compy-Tube, even while spelling it right!

mycrofft

Naw, naw...card laid is a card played.But if it's a convo, make sure the flow is 2 or lower to save oxygen costs. (And please return masks to the central supply closet)

mycrofft

Over the oropharnicks

Anjel

Forum Angel

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Over palp vs by palp. Technically it is by palpation.

EMTBell

Forum Probie
110/palp

I wouldn't get too picky there, both ways are acceptable and its sometime just second nature to providers who always give the "over" when reporting a BP

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I wouldn't get too picky there, both ways are acceptable and its sometime just second nature to providers who always give the "over" when reporting a BP

NO, it is lazy and is a disservice to the patient. 110/P could mean 110/40 or 110/90; BIG DIF! The one reason why an EMT really needs a stethoscope and instead of using it to get a vital sign that is kind of a big deal they hang it around their neck? Not acceptable for any student I am testing or any person working for me.

EMTBell

Forum Probie
The only time it is acceptable to take a BP by palpation is when you are in an environment which will not allow a BP by auscultation. This could be that it is simply too loud, or your stethoscope got shut in the door. (The latter incident could be reprimand-able)

It is totally acceptable to take a BP over Palp, especially from a first responders point of view. Scenes are often louder than the ambulance!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
NO, it is lazy and is a disservice to the patient. 110/P could mean 110/40 or 110/90; BIG DIF! The one reason why an EMT really needs a stethoscope and instead of using it to get a vital sign that is kind of a big deal they hang it around their neck? Not acceptable for any student I am testing or any person working for me.

Loud environments can make it downright impossible to ascultate a BP...Palpated BP isn't preferred but sometimes you just have to work the the cards that are dealt to you.

Sure during transport you should have time to ascultate a pressure but again that doesn't always happen if you're working the whole way to the hospital.

Profoundly hypotensive patients can be difficult to ascultate as well and at that point just be thankful you can get something to go off of.

Also I've used it before when we were working on a critical trauma pt. We were both working and our NIBP was being finnicky so the manual cuff stayed on and I palpated a few pressures. It can be done a pretty rapidly in a pinch, especially if the cuff has just been left in place.

It's like the "assumed" BP by presence of a radial/femoral/carotid pulse. Not exact but in a pinch I'll take it.

If I got ripped by my clinical director for palpating a pressure I'd be a bit on the grumpy side seeing as it is a technique that is taught throughout healthcare although, as you pointed out, not the preferred method.

By no means was this an attack towards you, just pointing out some situations where palpated pressures happen.

edit: How is a stethoscope getting shut in a door a reprimandable event? Mistakes happen...

Last edited by a moderator:

EMTBell

Forum Probie
Agree with you there!
Just the stethoscopes in the door may lead to reprimand if it means you arent equipped properly for patient care. I know some medical directors who would eat you out for that, which is why most services around me keep the personal stethoscope on the neck and another in a bag somewhere.
Of course the stethoscope is primarily diagnostic, and not as important at my level as say an ALS provider. For instance, what if a medic lost their stethoscope and didnt notice rales indicating pulmonary edema, but still infused 1000 ml NS? Entirely hypothetical of course

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
The only time it is acceptable to take a BP by palpation is when you are in an environment which will not allow a BP by auscultation. This could be that it is simply too loud, or your stethoscope got shut in the door. (The latter incident could be reprimand-able)

It is totally acceptable to take a BP over Palp, especially from a first responders point of view. Scenes are often louder than the ambulance!

Loud environments can make it downright impossible to ascultate a BP...Palpated BP isn't preferred but sometimes you just have to work the the cards that are dealt to you.

Sure during transport you should have time to ascultate a pressure but again that doesn't always happen if you're working the whole way to the hospital.

Profoundly hypotensive patients can be difficult to ascultate as well and at that point just be thankful you can get something to go off of.

Also I've used it before when we were working on a critical trauma pt. We were both working and our NIBP was being finnicky so the manual cuff stayed on and I palpated a few pressures. It can be done a pretty rapidly in a pinch, especially if the cuff has just been left in place.

It's like the "assumed" BP by presence of a radial/femoral/carotid pulse. Not exact but in a pinch I'll take it.

If I got ripped by my clinical director for palpating a pressure I'd be a bit on the grumpy side seeing as it is a technique that is taught throughout healthcare although, as you pointed out, not the preferred method.

By no means was this an attack towards you, just pointing out some situations where palpated pressures happen.

edit: How is a stethoscope getting shut in a door a reprimandable event? Mistakes happen...

11 Years of Ambulance, First Response, and SAR, and I can say that I have only been forced to take a BP by palpation a handful of times (inside the helo, windstorm, etc.). What irritates me is when palpation is the habit and not the exception used only when you have no other choice. "Acceptable" only under certain circumstances; not the equivalent!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
11 Years of Ambulance, First Response, and SAR, and I can say that I have only been forced to take a BP by palpation a handful of times (inside the helo, windstorm, etc.). What irritates me is when palpation is the habit and not the exception used only when you have no other choice. "Acceptable" only under certain circumstances; not the equivalent!

Agreed on that.

Like I said, I wasn't attacking just pointing out that every now and again it's a necessary skill.