Food Ideas

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
Everyone in this field knows to stay in shape, we have to be pretty conscientious of our diet, and that’s not always the easiest thing to do.

I’m trying to tweak my diet to be healthier. At the company I work for (it’s a private) we work right out of the rigs, and we run pretty much all day. So I’m trying to, instead of buying lunch at work, bring it instead.

Besides the obvious of sandwiches, does anyone have any tips on what kinda’ of things you can bring with to work that’ll stay good after 12 hour in a rig?

I was just seeing if there’s anyone on here who has some clever ideas of things to pack for lunch that is healthy, but I can start brining instead of sandwiches to help me not get so bored with it…

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Everyone in this field knows to stay in shape, we have to be pretty conscientious of our diet, and that’s not always the easiest thing to do.

I’m trying to tweak my diet to be healthier. At the company I work for (it’s a private) we work right out of the rigs, and we run pretty much all day. So I’m trying to, instead of buying lunch at work, bring it instead.

Besides the obvious of sandwiches, does anyone have any tips on what kinda’ of things you can bring with to work that’ll stay good after 12 hour in a rig?

I was just seeing if there’s anyone on here who has some clever ideas of things to pack for lunch that is healthy, but I can start brining instead of sandwiches to help me not get so bored with it…

I've always done green apples with peanut butter. A little tupperware of peanut butter and a bag of sliced apples all tossed in a cooler. Along with some lemonade packets (the kind you pour into 20oz bottles of water), craisins, and jerky

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
JT's got some good suggestions. Try making a chicken wrap, some grilled chicken, chopped romaine, some light ceaser dressing and a touch of parmesan cheese rolled up in one of those green tortilla kinda things.

I carry a few different flavors of those flavor packets that JT suggested, I find it easier to get warm tea down than warm water.

All sorts of fruits and veggies work. Also consider keeping some things that will get you full, but won't take as long to eat as a full meal in case you get slammed, carb- and protein-heavy stuff if I may.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I love fruit for long days but for some reason fruit in the rig creeps me out so I always eat two pieces of fruit on my way to work. always a banana and either an apple or a pear. I also keep a jar of nuts or gorp in my bag, it's high protien and easy to eat either just a handful or the whole jar if I have time or I need the energy. most often it's just a jar of almonds and if I have the inclination I will mix in raisins and chocolate pieces and maybe dried fruit. I also keep a protien bar on hand "just in case" but I hardly ever eat them. stay well hydrated to keep hunger pangs away and avoid caffiene. I used to be a coffee junky and I've switched to tea to get my caffiene fix and lots of aspects of my life have been better, included the desire to eat.

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
My first ride-along tomorrow. Will be bringing:

• Container of unsalted mixed nuts 4-pack $18 amazon
  • PB&J sandwiches
  • Met-Rx Protein Bars (30g protein) 4 for $6 on walmart.com
  • Bananas in banana bunkers (www.bananabunker.com) 3 for $10ish on ebaY
  • Water mixed w/ electrolyte powder
Any other ideas? Let me know

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief

• PB&J sandwiches
  • Water mixed w/ electrolyte powder
Any other ideas? Let me know

Drop the protein bars for a whole source of protein, like boiled eggs. All natural PB on top of a banana = amazing.

Turkey/cheese wraps are a good source of fast protein.

If I don't have time to make anything, I use protein powder.

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Boiled eggs unfortunately can only last a couple hours unrefrigerated. Do you mix the protein powder with water on the go? Must taste nasty if its not cold.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Boiled eggs unfortunately can only last a couple hours unrefrigerated. Do you mix the protein powder with water on the go? Must taste nasty if its not cold.
You can usually get cold water in any ER uou might go to

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

I carry an insulated lunch box with a "flat" ice pack in it. The whole thing is pretty compact and easily fits into the backpack that I carry my other stuff in.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief

Optimum nutrition double chocolate is actually really good with water. I can usually get milk from the EMS lounges in the hospitals, though.

CFal

Forum Captain
You can pop the hood of the truck, put a potato wrapped in foil and by lunch it will be cooked

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Vegetables and hummus
Nuts (particularly walnuts)
Fruit (apples, bananas, grapes, but really any fruit)
Salad
Soup
Muesli bars (granola type)
Sandwiches or filled rolls

If you don't have a fridge you can put this sort of stuff into a chilly bag from the supermarket and add in a couple of the freezable, reusable ice packs to keep it cold. At most all you need is access to a microwave to make e.g. the soup hot.

Really good ideas I find useful:

- Make a big pot of homemade soup on your days off and divide it into portions for freezing then use PRN
- Soup made at home is much healthier than canned and it's often cheaper to make
- Humus is really cheap and easy to make and much less expensive than buying it
- The hot deli chickens from the supermarket are great value as you can often get say 2 for $20; use some in a salad and the rest cold in sandwiches
- A can of tuna works the same way; you can use it in a salad, casserole/bake or in a sandwich
- A 1,500 ml bottle of iced tea can be used as a concentrate with water as a diluent in an old soft drink bottle with a sipper cap (I use 150 ml in 1,500 ml water)

Rin

Forum Captain
I always make sure to carry nuts, dried fruit, and a few bottles of water.

Flat ice packs and an insulated lunch box (or a small cooler if you can swing it) are necessities.

Tuna wraps are delicious & appetite suppressing:

Wheat tortilla
Fresh spinach
Pepperjack cheese
Tuna & mayo (olive oil kind is best)

Rin

Forum Captain

• PB&J sandwiches