Florida EMT

SurrealHero

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, I'm new to the community. I'm an EMT-B here in Central FL and am having a heck of a time getting a job. I've applied to, literally, about a hundred positions and have had four call backs (2 tests, 2 interviews, one of which I actually had three interviews on the same day, had my references processed and was told I would hear something regardless in 2-3 weeks. It's now been six weeks since the interviews and no word). The general impression I'm getting is that I just don't have any experience, but in the same breath I'm told that there are no volunteer opportunities here. What's an eager, ready to start guy got to do to get experience?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Keep applying. Or become a firefighter. In FL those are your options. There's a glut of medics and EMTs there, and most of the state is Fire run

8jimi8

CFRN
Volunteer at a hospital.

Go work as an ED tech in a hospital.

Work as a transport tech in a hospital.

Work as a patient care tech in a hospital.

Get 6 months of experience in a hospital and then take your cert and your 6 months experience and say. i'm the best person for the job!~

CNAinFL

Forum Crew Member
Central FL

What is your driving record like? I know they look at that around here.

Which ambulance services did you apply to?

Also - have you taken and passed your EVOC course yet? Central FL Fire Academy offers one for $160 - that's your ambulance driving course. That is another thing that makes you more attractive to ambulance companies because then they don't have to train you in that area.

I have heard that Sunstar is frequently hiring. They are in Pinellas County which is a few hours from here. I have heard some people say they don't treat their employees that well, but then I have heard other people say they like it there - and the complainers may just be perpetually disgruntled types. I think at this point it's worth taking any EMT job just to get your foot in the door and get a year of experience before you start looking around.

CNA cert in Florida is ridiculously easy - take a week long course, challenge the CNA test. That's what I did.

Last edited by a moderator: