Flight medic

atropine

Forum Captain
Hey all, so Iam looking to promote and get off the Engine and RA, does anyone know where to find a good flight medic book?

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey all, so Iam looking to promote and get off the Engine and RA, does anyone know where to find a good flight medic book?

I don't think that any of them are very good. A lot of people like this:

http://www.amazon.com/ASTNA-Patient...7497/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326965226&sr=8-2

The trouble is it reads a little like Mosby's paramedic textbook or a random nursing text, it doesn't cover physiology / pathophysiology / pharmacology well, and just feels a little incomplete.

This is popular as a review text too, but realise that it's just test questions and answers for people planning to write one of the alphabet soup certifications:

http://www.amazon.com/Aeromedical-C...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326965311&sr=1-1

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
The ASTNA book is considered to be kind of the "Bible" of CCT, but just reading a text book without context is really not going to do you much good. Start attending every CCM CE you can sit in on.

TheGodfather

Forum Lieutenant
Im almost done with the ASTNA book....best book I've ever read hands down.

and in response to usalsfyre, completely agree! I am reading the book and shadowing various physicians, RTs, nurses, etc in the hospital that i frequent; it seems to be working out well for me so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
Sorry, my bad.

That is actually one I have (along with the review II book) but I may get the Standards for critical care and specialty ground transport.

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
What is the best way to go about becoming a flight medic?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Get your paramedic through at least an Associate's degree program, preferably a Bachelor's.

Get hired in a high volume, high acuity, progressive EMS system. Spend 3 or 4 years here.

Attend a well recognized CCT program, preferably with a clinical component.

Get multiple instructor certs and teaching experience.

Try to get experience in a ground or fixed wing CCT program. after a year or so of this test for FP/CCP-C

Have an impressive enough resume to stand out among several hundred applicants.

Interview extremely well and be on point during the testing process.

Be willing to take a cut in pay, put up with a MASSIVE amount of risk for often limited benefit, work and live in BFE, sell your program 24/7, and worry a friend is dead every time you hear about a HEMS crash.

It's not nearly as glamorous as it seems. It can be incredibly rewarding and expose you to things you'd never otherwise see...but it's got a high cost.

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
Get your paramedic through at least an Associate's degree program, preferably a Bachelor's.

Get hired in a high volume, high acuity, progressive EMS system. Spend 3 or 4 years here.

Attend a well recognized CCT program, preferably with a clinical component........

Holyyy crappp...
That is WAY more then I EVER thought it would take to go airborne. And you said you take a paycut?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Holyyy crappp...
That is WAY more then I EVER thought it would take to go airborne. And you said you take a paycut?

I make far more on the ground than I did flying.

What were you expecting? Not trying to be a ****, just trying to get a handle on people's expectations.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Holyyy crappp...

Way more medics want to work HEMS than they have spots for. Why pay more when someone else will happily do it for cheaper?

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, I guess your right.. But isn't it way more dangerous? And way more demanding? You would think the pay would be higher then your "normal" Medic.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Yeah, I guess your right.. But isn't it way more dangerous? And way more demanding? You would think the pay would be higher then your "normal" Medic.

Remember...for profits run most of HEMS.

Reputable programs pay more. Most don't.

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
I make far more on the ground than I did flying.

What were you expecting? Not trying to be a ****, just trying to get a handle on people's expectations.

Well I guess I was expecting those who risk their lives 10X more then everyone else, to get paid a little more?

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
Alright.. Thanks for all the helpful information fellas...

I don't think I want to be airborne anymore..

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Alright.. Thanks for all the helpful information fellas...

I don't think I want to be airborne anymore..

Lol just find you a good program. There are absolutely some great HEMS or fixed-wing systems out there that pay decent and are relatively safer. However, those programs tend to be more competitive, so you really need to shine with an outstanding resumé to get on with those systems.