flag on uniform

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
ok, I have a new jobshirt for my FD paid for personally so I can customize it myself, I got it embroidered yesterday and I have 3 patches I would like to put on it but recently thought about putting a flag on it also, what my question is...where does the flag go? and what way does it face? I have been told it goes on the right arm and the stars face forward because it symbolizes the flag moving in the wind and us moving forward...anyone have any input on this?
(I searched and couldn't find anything on this subject, if there is a thread like this out there sorry and please point me in the right direction)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
The flag can go on either arm, but the stars (blue part) must face to the front of you as you're wearing.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
The above info is correct.

On another note... 4 patches on one shirt??? Wee bit extreme eh?

OP
OP
E

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
so like this? this would be on my right arm.

Attachments

• 427.jpg
    427.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 497

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
To echo AK, four patches is extreme (plus the embroidery).

We're not going for flair:
officespace_chotchkies.jpg

The more professional/uniform you look, the more confidence you give your patients and the more respect other healthcare providers will give you. Do your best to give the impression of a solid, intelligent, level-headed, balanced, professional healthcare provider, not adventure and rescue and patriotism (not that there's anything wrong with those). Think of how most competent doctors or even nurses dress (outside of the pediatrics department).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
The above info is correct.

On another note... 4 patches on one shirt??? Wee bit extreme eh?

well I'm going to have the flag on my right arm, and below that a nice emt firefighter maltese cross star of life patch thing that isn't big at all, then on the left side my FD company patch and below that I'm thinking of putting a small 9/11 memorial patch

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
well I'm going to have the flag on my right arm, and below that a nice emt firefighter maltese cross star of life patch thing that isn't big at all, then on the left side my FD company patch and below that I'm thinking of putting a small 9/11 memorial patch
Given your name... I'm not shocked. :)

I had a 9/11 sticker on my helmet, back in the day. and I've got one on my car... I don't see a need to have a patch. In fact, I wouldn't wear ANY generic patches on a jobshirt except for state certs. If you have a ProBoard FF patch, that would probably be cool... but why put a Galls Special patch on your jobshirt... do you want to look like a TV Ambulance Driver?

I've got NO patches on my job shirts... I've got one with some embroidery I don't like, though, so I'm probably going to put a state EMT patch over the left chest embroidery.
My "work" jobshirt has NO patches or embroidery. Both of my vollie squad jobshirts have a station-specific logo on them, and my name.

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
"(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart."

As for the reversed flags, the original reason (because there's a good chance someone will eventually ask you why your flag is "backwards") was because the patch is supposed to be oriented as if it were a flag being flown from your body. If you were rushing into battle, the stars would be towards the front (normal orientation on the left arm, reversed on the right arm). The only time it would be normally oriented on your right arm/reversed on your left arm would be if you were running backwards, i.e. retreating from battle.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
kevinharvickdriversuit2.jpg

Seriously folks, whom are you really try to impress? Remember the public does not know what EMT/IO/PQRST is?. Also have you ever noticed the higher the level of education and knowledge, the less one attempts to prove anything with patches, stickers, lights and sirens?

Do you see a surgeon wearing patches, most likely they barely even have a name tag.. they have nothing to prove to anyone!

Here's a hint.. its called professionalism, impress others by your knowledge and demonstration of your talents. They will ask you what you are without having to wear placards and billboards.... Whackers are a disgrace to the profession.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jango

Forum Crew Member
I have to agree with Rid, are you an EMT or a member of NASCAR pit crew?

OP
OP
E

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
I have to agree with Rid, are you an EMT or a member of NASCAR pit crew?

I am a firefighter/EMT although it would be cool to be in a NASCAR pit crew...hmm..

Jango

Forum Crew Member
Hell yea! They get treated like rock stars! And in their job its perfectly appropriate at times to use a hammer and duct tape on your patient....

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I am a firefighter/EMT although it would be cool to be in a NASCAR pit crew...hmm..

You can be a professional FF/EMT. You can look freaking sharp and wear patches for both. But you start adding on multiple patches and you lose credibility even as a firefighter. Look at the link I put in my previous post. That guy looks sharp. I'd want him helping me. I'd give him respect.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

Doesn't the NASCAR pit crew get paid for product endorsement for those patches they wear? I'll wear more patches if they pay me to!

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
As for the reversed flags, the original reason (because there's a good chance someone will eventually ask you why your flag is "backwards") was because the patch is supposed to be oriented as if it were a flag being flown from your body. If you were rushing into battle, the stars would be towards the front (normal orientation on the left arm, reversed on the right arm). The only time it would be normally oriented on your right arm/reversed on your left arm would be if you were running backwards, i.e. retreating from battle.

As well as according to the US flag code the union (field of stars) should always be closest to your heart, as it is on the right arm/'reversed field' flag. (Note: many states and cities have ordinances pertaining to the use of the flag; you may wish to contact the Attorney General of your state or the City Attorney's office regarding this matter.] If you are planning to wear only one patch, it is recommended that you wear a "left" flag on your left sleeve.)

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
That might have been meant for flags that are displayed on the chest, as well as flags being flown behind a speaker.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
ok, I have a new jobshirt for my FD paid for personally so I can customize it myself, I got it embroidered yesterday and I have 3 patches I would like to put on it but recently thought about putting a flag on it also, what my question is...where does the flag go? and what way does it face? I have been told it goes on the right arm and the stars face forward because it symbolizes the flag moving in the wind and us moving forward...anyone have any input on this?
(I searched and couldn't find anything on this subject, if there is a thread like this out there sorry and please point me in the right direction)

aruniformflag.bmp