fish hook back of the neck

TimRaven

Forum Crew Member
Removing fish hook was taught in both WEMT and AWLS courses as well, but it's an interesting topic if the local scope permits it...maybe I should ask next time meeting with county EMS board...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Heck, we aren't even supposed to remove the Tazer barbs.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I had a patient once who somehow got a pair of tweezers embedded in the palm of her hand....probably would have been better for her the have just pulled it out and put a band-aid on it rather than call 911.....I still had to stabilize the impaired object and transport (local hospital had a bit of a laugh, joking we should've ALS'd Code 3 to the trauma center as they directed the lady to triage). So yeah, pushing the fish hook through to snip the barber off and pull it back out would not fly here and I'd probably be out of a job....unless I did it to a Boy Scout while on a camping trip as an Eagle Scout adult leader lol

TimRaven

Forum Crew Member
Is it like pulling a tooth, where you tie it to a door and then have someone shut it?

From WEMT field guideline:
- Attach a 12-inch piece of string around the curve of the hook. Simultaneously push down on the eye of the hook and pull the string along the axis of the hook.
or
- Push the point of the barb through the skin. Snip off the barb and back the hook out.

24verdicts

Forum Probie
Had the hook from a wiper blade refill(was 15 at the time) jammed into my index finger and came out from underneath my nail.
Got some pliers snipped the end and pulled the rest out. No big deal i just made sure the puncture was clean.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
Is it like pulling a tooth, where you tie it to a door and then have someone shut it?
afp20010601p2231-f3.gif

smorkal42

Forum Ride Along
There's really no point in transporting unless the parents are really adamant about it. I'd just explain what was going to happen at the ER; they are going to remove it and give him a tetanus shot, and then tell them it would save them some money if they just drove the kid to an ER or urgent care. Works out fine for everyone.

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member
I don't know that directly talking someone out of transport is prudent; however they tend to get the point if you say "either we can take to the ER or you can." They tend to recognize that you're not concerned and they shouldn't be either.