First Ride Out

RDUNNE

Forum Crew Member
So my first (and only) ride out for this semester is next Sunday. I know all the stuff I was supposed to learn, and think I am ready for it, but I havent ever even seen the inside of an ambulance. lol Anybody have any advice?

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Just try to remain calm and do what your are trained to do, if you find yourself needing to help the crew. Ask questions as well if there is something that doesn't make since to you.

Micro_87

Forum Crew Member
+1 just relax remember your training and have fun with it i remember my first time out i was nervous but an hour into it i was fine...

reaper

Working Bum
Then talk with the agency about more ride time! One ride a semester is no where near enough. Take it upon yourself to acquire more!

tydek07

Forum Captain
Haha, just relax and remember to keep an open mind during it. Ask A LOT of questions and do as much pt care as you can. My recommendation is to talk to the crew before the day starts. I always pull students aside and ask them what they want to learn today. I ask what they feel comfortable doing and inform them what they can do... I am pretty relaxed with students, I let them do their thing and only take over if they "freeze" or are going down the wrong the path.

Just do not be afraid to do stuff, the crew will not allow you to harm the pt ;) haha, so just go at it. If they do stop you, or take over, do not take it as a slap in the face... learn from it and listen listen listen, to see what you were missing. It may just be an ALS call, and you do not know that stuff.

Another big thing is talk en route to the call and after the call. En route; tell them what you want to bring in, what you are going to do, and what they should do. After you are done telling them, ask them how that sounds or if you have missed anything. After the call, ask them how they thought you did. Ask what you could have done better. etc etc

Just take a deep breath and go in with an open mind..... and HAVE FUN! :D

Good Luck,
tydek

--tell us how it goes--

OP
OP
R

RDUNNE

Forum Crew Member
Then talk with the agency about more ride time! One ride a semester is no where near enough. Take it upon yourself to acquire more!

I would love to have more ride time, but the school I'm going to only lets First Responder students do one ride.

thank you all for the advice I'll keep it all in mind for sure and let you all know how it goes.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Just one piece of advice: DON'T FAINT!!! Seriously, when I was taken my classes, we were told that historicly speaking one student from every class fainted when doing Hospital Time (we weren't given ride time). No way you could live that down!

Serious, HAVE FUN. Lend a hand where you can. Stay out of the way when you can't. Hopefully you will will be riding with some good peolpe who will explain things to you and let you get some real good experience. My first time out on Ambulance I was teamed up with a 50 year old burnout Paramedic and an EMT that was dead tired from working 4 days a week and going to medic school the other three. Not the best learning environment.

Remember to post here when you finish the time; tell us how it went.

emtguy

Forum Ride Along
My first ride along day, the station's ambulance was out for an administrative meeting in the morning. So the first few EMS calls were answered by the fire truck. I got to ride along in a fire truck CODE 3! Sirens blasting, bells ringing! A childhood's dream come true!

There I was in the jump seat, grinning from ear to ear.

Just relax, learn, and try to have fun.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Advice 1) You don't know jack.

Yes, that seems rude, but it's true. I thought I knew what I was doing when I started clinicals, but when that call came in, I froze. It happens... you're dealing with real life here. No more text book definitions.

Follow what your medic says. Some will be cool and will let you take the lead on some calls if they think you're comfortable enough.

Enjoy your time

And above all: It's not your emergency.

OP
OP
R

RDUNNE

Forum Crew Member
Just one piece of advice: DON'T FAINT!!! Seriously, when I was taken my classes, we were told that historicly speaking one student from every class fainted when doing Hospital Time (we weren't given ride time). No way you could live that down!

yeah one of the guys in my class thats already done hisride fainted. and no ones letting him forget it lol

syd

Forum Probie
I just went on the 1st of a couple of ride-alongs this semester. My advice would be stand back the first call and see how the crew works, then get in there all you can after that. Ask questions. Talk with your preceptors after the calls. DON'T go in thinking you know it all... Have fun. Relax. Remember what you are doing it for. Check out the truck when you get a chance, learn where stuff is, you won't have time on a call. Most of all, know your stuff, so if you get asked to do something... YOU CAN.

OP
OP
R

RDUNNE

Forum Crew Member
there deffinatly no problems with me thinkin i know everything. hell im worried i dont know enough lol

aandjmayne

Forum Crew Member
I was the same way.. didnt feel like I knew anything when it came to the first patient.. but after a call or two it all comes back to you.. (My first ride was last Sat. night.) what I did was observe to see how the team worked.. jumped in where I felt I could.. if I had any questions.. I asked.. and by the end of the night I could run a call and just let the medics do what I wasnt allowed to.. (ie IVs).. You'll do fine and if you can get more than one ride time I would.. we only have to go for one 12 hour shift. but Im doing three just to make sure I atleast have some experience before I just go out trying to get a job. Good luck and most of all... have fun!!^_^

OP
OP
R

RDUNNE

Forum Crew Member
wow, just found out that i have to work all night tonight. ill have an hour between the time im off to the time my clinical starts. thats not too bad. whats worse is i gotta pull the same shift sunday night :(

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
wow, just found out that i have to work all night tonight. ill have an hour between the time im off to the time my clinical starts. thats not too bad. whats worse is i gotta pull the same shift sunday night :(

I did all my clincal time (~130hrs) in a single 2 week period, on top of full time school (12 credit hours) and 30 hours each week at my real job.

Heck, one week was ride with ambulance, go home shower, head to school, head to work, sleep for a few hours, wake up at 5 am, head to fire department, 24 hours shift, get off the shift and go to school, then work, then home.

That was just EMT school >_>

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
I am BLS certified through my work and I ride as a "Civilian Rider" on local services and am able to help out prn. Cardiac arrests and all that fun stuff. The hardest part for me was getting used to riding backwards, but that fades after a while. Dont eat anything that will upset your tummy. Take notes!:rolleyes:

OP
OP
R

RDUNNE

Forum Crew Member
alright so just got through with my shift, and i must say that is the most fun i have ever had. was a busy day, had 1 abdominal pain, 1 major MI (we later transfered him to another hospital) a stroke, a house fire and an MVA. I had a really good preceptor that gave me tons of stuff to do. long story short he passed me lol. thank you all for your advice.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
alright so just got through with my shift, and i must say that is the most fun i have ever had. was a busy day, had 1 abdominal pain, 1 major MI (we later transfered him to another hospital) a stroke, a house fire and an MVA. I had a really good preceptor that gave me tons of stuff to do. long story short he passed me lol. thank you all for your advice.

GOOD TO KNOW; WELCOME TO THE CLUB. Now, tell the truth: Did you faint? :blush:

ffmedic08

Forum Ride Along
:d

Once you get the feel for the crew, and the feel for the squad-you'll be alright. Make sure yout ake time to learn the truck. Even though you are only doing one day - you never know what call you might get, and a body is a body- the crew will take advantage and you'll be the gofer. I'm not saying memorize EVERYTHING and tis placement- but have a general idea for the major stuff.

Once your first call is over- everyone will relax a lil. You'll all get a feel for each other, and you'll be able to see how things go.

GOOD LUCK! TAKE A DEEP BREATH!!!!!