First ride along

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Another good practical that I encourage ride alongs to do is to write their own report. I have them leave off the personal information and to do a SOAP on the call. I review the report with them after the call and its usually a springboard to discussion about treatment. Besides, what new EMT doesn't need practice writing reports?

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
I've had my share of writing up PCR's with my work at St. John, though the paperwork for EMS is probably much more complex.
To what degree do you expect a student to get involved in treatment during the calls? Is it mostly observing at first, and then some smaller duties (head support, suction, etc)?
And forgive the newbie questions, but what is a SOAP?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I've had my share of writing up PCR's with my work at St. John, though the paperwork for EMS is probably much more complex.
To what degree do you expect a student to get involved in treatment during the calls? Is it mostly observing at first, and then some smaller duties (head support, suction, etc)?
And forgive the newbie questions, but what is a SOAP?

That depends upon the individual student.

As to the last part, SOAP is one of the recognized ways to chart patient care.

S - Subjective information
O - Objective Information
A - Assessment
P - Plan, or treatments

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Depending on the skill level and training of the student, it could range from "hand me that.... no that.. no... the blue case....." to taking vitals... I think I would be pretty hesitant to have a ride along newbie holding C-spine or doing suction unless I was pretty familiar with them and their training. I've had them help set up IV's, set up the glucometer, told them which buttons I want pushed on the EKG. Put on an O2 mask or cannula...

You need to remember, 'Ride Along' is primarily an observational exercise. It gives you a chance to see how others work a call. Any hands on treatment you are allowed to engage in will depend on the system you are in, the proctor who is with you and the liability issues involved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
ah ok, so I guess it varies from situation to situation. I'm very excited to get the opportunity to watch how things unfold in real situations. Hopefully I won't be the annoying newb to everyone else :p. Sorry to the starter of the thread, I think I kinda hijacked this :p

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
Haha the first thing I ever got to do was open a bottle of asprin!! lol sometimes they let me help others not and usally I carry a bag in and once in a while help wheel the stretcher in NEVER out...It makes me feel good that they let me help...sometimes they will even explain things to me..like if were doing a long transfer they'll explain the EKG or something...its cool :D

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
Haha the first thing I ever got to do was open a bottle of asprin!! lol sometimes they let me help others not and usally I carry a bag in and once in a while help wheel the stretcher in NEVER out...It makes me feel good that they let me help...sometimes they will even explain things to me..like if were doing a long transfer they'll explain the EKG or something...its cool :D
are you currently doing a coop/ride-along program? if you are, I'll have to hear more about it! ^^. Im starting sometime near the end of September! :D

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
kinda more not though lol..last year (actually april-june) I was hanging out for about 1-3 hours 4 days now I just do random rides THURSDAY!! W00T! I'm SO excited...lol sorry....ya :D

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
ahh ok, thanks for the feedback! Would it be a no-no to ask questions in general while in the patient's presence? (I can imagine it wouldn't do wonders for reassuring them :p). What sorts of tasks do coop students normally get to do?

I love to teach whether its my basic or an EMT or medic student. I try to teach while I am doing the procedure and I will ask the student questions to make sure they understand why we do things (not just because we can) unless its a life or death emergency. Then when the call is done I will ask questions and allow the individual to ask questions. If I have a student I trust I will let them attach the leads and put the pt on O2 and spike a bag if I need it (I do a lot of heplocks instead though). If its a code and we have discussed it I will let them do chest compressions or ventilation depending which my partner wants. We go over stretcher operation throughly when the student gets there and if I trust them they can help with it but I am very focused and careful as an advocate for my pt.

With my EMT partner we discuss every single call once we are back in the box and we trust each other to be critical but respective. This is the only way things get better and helps us strengthen our partnership and helps add a new perspective.