First ride along

Jay114

Forum Crew Member
It was fun! I spent much of the time waiting for something to happen, but according to the folks at this ambulance company, it was "unusually slow." I was scheduled with a BLS crew, but the Paramedic in charge declared I would go with the first crew that got a call. 20 minutes before it was time for me to leave, we went to respond to an "out of control child." We evaluated and transported a 14 y/o girl who was being violent in her home. While at the hospital, we picked up a section 12, an older teen who had been determined a danger to herself and others and was mandated to an in patient facility. I didn't do any skills, but I listened and absorbed everything. Just helping a bit with the pre-shift ambulance checklist was cool! I met some friendly and patient Basics and Paramedics, and got a small taste of the life. I am going again next week, and I can't wait.

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
congrats on oyur first ride. it's like cocaine, once you try it you can't wuit... at least thats how it is for me

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
... and just like the Q word means all H*** will break loose, a student ridealong generally guarantees a peaceful evening;)

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
... and just like the Q word means all H*** will break loose, a student ridealong generally guarantees a peaceful evening;)
Yep thats how it is....I sure do know that

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I sure hope you get to run a few calls on the next ride a long! :)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Sounds like you had 2 unusual calls. EDP (emotionally disturbed person) calls can be a challenge... espicially with kids - but they are GREAT calls to get while a trainee, because you get to see the call without it being "all on you".

MizRizQuick

Forum Probie
Awesome! Glad you enjoyed it! I remember my first ride along...I was nervous, excited, scared, anxious, hyper...ran the whole gamut of emotions!!! GOOD LUCK!!! ;)

OP
OP
Jay114

Jay114

Forum Crew Member
Well, I've done my second ride along. I seem to have a curse (or blessing) in that both my ride along shifts were quiet. This time I did join an ALS crew as they went to a call for a "dizzy and disoriented" elderly woman. She had a prev. diagnosed A-Fib and had a very low bp. I helped carry her in the stairchair and we ran her down the highway with lights and sirens going. It was awesome! Ha, I felt like a little kid riding a roller coaster for the first time! I held her hand and chatted calmly with her while the medics worked her. My other memorable call was a woman with schizophrenia who was unwilling to travel with us to the in-patient facility and let us know with alarmingly loud screams. Once in the ambulance she calmed down. So, no blood and guts, but lots of knowledge to soak up and some exciting moments.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I helped carry her in the stairchair and we ran her down the highway with lights and sirens going. It was awesome! Ha, I felt like a little kid riding a roller coaster for the first time!

See the thread about the five people who died in an ambulance crash.. just for perspective!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
First welcome to the thread, as well welcome to the profession. I hope you are embellishing some of the events.

Since I was not really there, I will not critique the medics discretion. I do hope you are learning appropriate medical care, safe and professional techniques in EMS.

Good luck in your clinical setting.

R/r 911

OP
OP
Jay114

Jay114

Forum Crew Member
Ridryder911 said:
First welcome to the thread, as well welcome to the profession. I hope you are embellishing some of the events.

Since I was not really there, I will not critique the medics discretion. I do hope you are learning appropriate medical care, safe and professional techniques in EMS.

Good luck in your clinical setting.

R/r 911

I started this thread so no need for a welcome. I am interested in your comments though. What events do you hope I embellished? What do you see in the little I posted that would warrant critique of the medics discretion? We did have sirens on at times when we hit heavy traffic, but they were not constant. I do know the lights were on, but I cannot say if they were on the whole time. The roller coaster comment spoke more to my feelings and less to the speed of the ambulance, as we never went over 60 mph. As to the stair chair, its was myself and a firefighter working together. I would appreciate any comments or analysis you can give me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Sorry, I meant welcome to the forum. Hopefully, you read the posts in regards to EVO safety and the need or lack of need of L/S, some describe especially in cardiac patients. Again, since I do not have the facts, I am not going to judge the medics discretion, it definitely may be warranted.

You made the analogy of feelings like a roller coaster" in which I and others interpreted as you described riding in the EMS unit, not interpreted in regards to the over all clinical.

Again, welcome to the forum, and good luck in school!

R/r 91

OP
OP
Jay114

Jay114

Forum Crew Member
After re-reading my post, I definitely see how the roller coaster comment would be interpreted in regards to the ambulance operation. Thanks for the word on the EVO safety lights/siren posts. In fact, in class, we touched on the issue of L/S in some cases, due to possible adverse effects on the patient, and yes cardiac in particular. I am too green to be able to say whether they were necessary in the ride-along case, but I do know the medics did seem worried about this patient. R/r, yet again you impress me with your knowledge and disarming attitude. Thank you for the welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
I get excited just reading about these ride-alongs! ^^
I start mine in September (I'm doing a co-op program with EMS), and am there til the end of January...can't wait!! Anyone have any advice in how an ideal ride-along n00b would act?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I get excited just reading about these ride-alongs! ^^
I start mine in September (I'm doing a co-op program with EMS), and am there til the end of January...can't wait!! Anyone have any advice in how an ideal ride-along n00b would act?

Pay attention, don't take it personally if during a hairy call, the paid personnel don't have time to explain everything, their minds are on their work. Remember, ride alongs aren't for entertainment. Ask questions after the event on anything you didn't understand or want to know more about. You will find some are more open to discussion about the calls than others.

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
ahh ok, thanks for the feedback! Would it be a no-no to ask questions in general while in the patient's presence? (I can imagine it wouldn't do wonders for reassuring them :p). What sorts of tasks do coop students normally get to do?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Depends entirely on the call and the EMT or Paramedic running it. I personally like teaching and will always take the time to explain what I'm doing if its appropriate. If I'm busy with that little discussion going on in my head, I might have to put you off or ask you to remind me of your question later. Or if I'm concentrating on unclenching my sphincter, I have been known to bite the heads off of medic students.

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
the paid personnel don't have time to explain everything, their minds are on their work. Remember, ride alongs aren't for entertainment. Ask questions after the event on anything you didn't understand or want to know more about. You will find some are more open to discussion about the calls than others.
Personally I try to wait untill we are done, like driving back to the base or getting gas, then they are more relaxed and willing to talk or actually the when one of the guys is filling out the run report and the other is restocking the ambulance I typically find that a good time too. Sadly I get nervous around them and stop talking, I'm normally VERY talkative but I'm getting over it...I would suggest finding someone that you can go to and ask questions, like a mentor...it makes life easier, for me its weirdly enough the supieror guys like the cheif and fire marshall and some of the lietenents maybe its because they have more experience then the other guys in dealing with younger people? I don't know allot of the guys are extremly standoffish. But there coming through.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Some medics teach as they perform procedures or as they assess etc.. after they introduce you as a student, like others describe it all depends upon the situation, environment, and of course the person teaching, etc.

I agree a good time to ask any questions is after the call. I usually suggest students to even ask.. "May I ask some questions regarding this call?"...
This can open the door of what was found upon assessment of scene, patient, surroundings, etc. The intervention and treatments as well as any recommendations that they might want to give you, in regards to your actions.

Keep your eyes and ears open and make a mental note of how you would had handle the scenario, if this was your call.

R/r 911

emtd29

Forum Lieutenant
Remember this... the only stupid question is the one that is not asked.

If you don't understand something... ASK!

Like Ridryder said, usually the best time to ask is after the call