First day on the job... any tips?

AudiGirl

Forum Probie
I've applied for a few companies and they've all contacted me back with interest.. so it's quite possible I may be out on the field soon!

Please throw out any advice or tips for nervous but excited newbie EMT

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
There's not much more to add to it than that.

DBAA is also good advice.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Don't crash the rig. Seems fairly obvious but there have been people on here recently that would need that pointed out.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
When you run out of things to do or questions to ask you should already have started your transport. If you reach the end of your questions and are still on scene, move to the ambulance and go to the hospital.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Go to work.
Arrive on time.
Pay attention during orientation.
If you don't understand, ask a question.
Start running calls.
Get paid every two weeks.

/thread.
And for the love of God stay out of any, and all company/ service drama. But DE's stuff takes precedence.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Don't kill anybody.

That's not in regard to patients. Don't kill yourself, your partner, or a bystander while you're driving emergent.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
Remember there's always an a adjusting period to any new job. Unfortunately, EMS is not immune to idiots working in it. Some of those idiots can be FTOs. If this is your first EMS job they may jump on that.

None of this is to make you feel uneasy. It's to let you know if you find yourself in the above situation know anyone with common sense and a good attitude can do this job.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Go to work.
Arrive on time.
Pay attention during orientation.
If you don't understand, ask a question.
Start running calls.
Get paid every two weeks.

/thread.
Arrive early.
check your truck at the start of every shift.
turn your cell phone to silent, especially when you are on a run or with a patient.
fill out your paperwork as you are directed to.
Dress the part, and by this, I mean wear your uniform as your agency directs you to.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Don't be late.
Don't be surprised when everyone is hitting on you.
Don't **** where you eat, if you catch my drift.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
If you push the tab on the lid of your coffee into the cup it acts as a baffle and you won't spill as easily.

SpecialK

Forum Captain
Don't even think about asking Control for anything, especially not anything you are legally required to have, like rest breaks. Control are evil and just think up ways to make you miserable.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Don't even think about asking Control for anything, especially not anything you are legally required to have, like rest breaks. Control are evil and just think up ways to make you miserable.
You know, if you ask them, there is a high probability they will work with you. Provided, of course, you aren't in a situation where you haven't done anything for the past two hours, and now that you are given a run, are saying you need a break to get food. It's when you try to play fast an loose with the rules and try to sneak in a break while you are supposed to be on a run that control will think of ways to make you miserable.

You can either work with your dispatchers, or you can work against them. But don't forget they have a job to do (give out jobs), and you have a job to do (go on the jobs they give you). Don't get pissed at them because they are doing their job. But working with them will make your shift be much better than working against them.