First Code

Simusid

Forum Captain
I had my first code as a basic last night. We had just called "in service" at the hospital when we heard our P/B truck get toned out to a local seniors complex. I had a sense for some reason that they would call for backup (my truck was P/P/B ) and probably less than 2 minutes after they were on scene, sure enough we got the call. We were already headed that way, I don't think it took us more than 7 minutes to get there.

Some of my details are a bit blurry but I do know that my "first impression" was not good. The LP15 showed asystole, the senior medic (from first truck) said he heard agonal respirations when we first got there, and he looked BAD. CPR was in progress, one of my medics got a tube in short order, the other got an IO, the other basic was bagging, I was doing compressions until we got the Lucas in place. The senior has an amazing ability to direct a scene and set the perfect tone and pace, in my mind it went perfectly and we were in the truck in short order. Lo and behold, he had a femoral pulse (I felt it) and he was trying to breath. It was just remarkable to me to see that.

He did pass away a few hours later but despite that, I think it was a great call.

Last edited by a moderator:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Congratulations on your first code, it's a crazy time and it sounds like you all managed it very well. Great job on contributing to a successful ROSC :)

TacoMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
sounds like it went as well as it could have. Congrats on the ROSC! Thats great.

On a side note, it sounds like you work for a great provider. 2 medics and 2 basics on scene of a code! Life Pak 15 and Lucas! wow! Very cool.

Congrats again!

OP
OP
S

Simusid

Forum Captain
sounds like it went as well as it could have. Congrats on the ROSC! Thats great.

On a side note, it sounds like you work for a great provider. 2 medics and 2 basics on scene of a code! Life Pak 15 and Lucas! wow! Very cool.

Congrats again!

Yes, I'm biased and I do think we have a great service. We run two trucks to many calls because we generally run a Senior truck (10+ years experience) and a Junior truck with 5 or under years of experience (we have a medic scholarship program and a steady stream of people that need to be trained). The junior truck will usually roll to all calls and be shadowed by the senior truck as needed with a heavy emphasis on training. Seniors don't fight for tubes, etc.

It works out well for us :)

EMSrush

Forum Captain
Congrats, I'm glad your first experience was a positive one.

TacoMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
Yes, I'm biased and I do think we have a great service. We run two trucks to many calls because we generally run a Senior truck (10+ years experience) and a Junior truck with 5 or under years of experience (we have a medic scholarship program and a steady stream of people that need to be trained). The junior truck will usually roll to all calls and be shadowed by the senior truck as needed with a heavy emphasis on training. Seniors don't fight for tubes, etc.

It works out well for us :)

Sounds like a pretty cool system. I'm sure you will learn a lot there. Keep up the good work.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
See...sometimes this stuff DOES work. Sometimes you CAN be an agent that buys some time for a stricken patient. And one day, by giving all you have for each of the people you serve, you'll learn enough to be the key to an individual's long-term survival.

That pretty much defines the business, the only thing you must cultivate is patience, because people don't come back because of you, sometimes they come back through you, sometimes, in spite of you as well!