First call as a cleared paramedic

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
It was a cardiac arrest, DOA once we arrived. Everyone always talks about their first calls, well that was mine.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Meh, I still got some time to go from being cleared at my 911 gig.

My first as a cleared medic totally though? Probably taking granny back to the NH after her UTI treatment...

8jimi8

CFRN
Meh, I still got some time to go from being cleared at my 911 gig.

My first as a cleared medic totally though? Probably taking granny back to the NH after her UTI treatment...

That you gave to her.... DOH! (8(0)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Congrats. Now that you got that one out of the way we'd really appreciate if you'd start saving some lives.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Congrats. Now that you got that one out of the way we'd really appreciate if you'd start saving some lives.

I've been working for three weeks, have no losses, and two saves. Full cardiac arrest cpr, bagged, defibbed, STEMI, apparently walked out of the hospital. VTach about to be vfib, cardioverted in the back of the ambulance. I'll enjoy sitting at 100% while it lasts.

18G

Paramedic
I wish I had an opportunity to have been "cleared". I had one orientation shift with another Paramedic (no calls) and handed the keys and started on my own a few days later. First call was a head trauma that got flown.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I wish I had an opportunity to have been "cleared". I had one orientation shift with another Paramedic (no calls) and handed the keys and started on my own a few days later. First call was a head trauma that got flown.

Minimum of 2 months FTO, with two different FTOs, plus a ride with the station captain before a Paramedic can be cleared here.

I'll probably have 3-4 months FTO... and I've been a medic since March. Goes to show they take it seriously :)

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It's different everywhere, huh? I had to ride 240 hours with a senior medic, take a 12 lead test, a protocol test, a paramedic knowledge test, a long meeting with the medical director to get cleared at my 911 job. At my other job, it was two shifts of "orientation", then I was cut loose.

I would have liked more training time, but were so busy, I guess I'll get it on the street.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Ah, well we also had 3 weeks (9 hour days, 5 days a week) of a Paramedic academy going over the guidelines, getting certified in EVOC, and testing all the skills as well, from OPA to OG tubes to Foley tube placement.

As opposed to my last job where it was just HR orientation for a week, then a few rides with another medic, then you were cleared.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

It's the "good luck don't kill anyone" approach to new employee orientation :wacko:.

The process Linuss describes is new. Ours used to be just barely a step above this.

Last edited by a moderator:

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm currently doing my rideouts to get cleared to work on my own. We have to do 4-24hr shifts and take a protocol test to get cleared. I had my first code STEMI yesterday, luckily before the bad weather started. 45yo Male, with no history, complaining of Chest Pain 10/10 that started 2 hours prior to being called that woke him up from sleeping. He had ST elevation in leads aVF, V1-V4. Started a line, gave 2 rounds of Nitro, 4mg Zofran(started c/o Nausea), and a total of 6mg of Morphine. Pain was an 8/10 upon arrival of ER. Found out later he had a 100% blockage in his LAD. Only did 2 rounds of Nitro, cause he threw up the first pill, and he said the second pill hadn't dissolved yet, when I was ready to give the third.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Where I work, here is clearing process:

-4 days company policy/procedure instruction
-2 days w/ FTO going over basic level protocols
-5 (12) hour shifts to get familiar w/ equipment and doing admin stuff w/ preceptor
-2 days ALS orientation
-2 protocol tests
Objective Structured Clinical Evaluation - must pass then you are conditionally cleared.
-12 (12) hour shifts as a CCP w/ preceptor a few of which you are in the back alone and you talk to medic up front and let them know your plan of tx.
-If required you can do 12 more shifts. FTO rides several shifts w/ you.

It is not easy but it is better than being put out to soon and not being fully prepared.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Under our old system it took five years to become a what was then known as a "Paramedic"; two as a Qualified Ambulance Officer, two as an Intermediate Care Officer and then another year ontop of that.

More recently with the introduction of the Degree it took four and a half years to become an Intensive Care Paramedic; three to do the degree then a structured eighteen month consolodation internship period.

Now it takes twelve months post Degree to become a Paramedic (ILS) and selection for Intensive Care Paramedic will be baed upon merit. Once the Post Graduate Program becomes avaliable in 2013 there will be another internship period after you complete that before seeking Authority to Practice as the ALS level.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
I can't even remember my first call. Mind you, I struggle to remember what I did last week, so that shouldn't be surprising.

It takes a minimum of 7 years to be fully independant at an ALS level here, another year after that you can work the chase cars.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I can't even remember my first call. Mind you, I struggle to remember what I did last week, so that shouldn't be surprising.

It takes a minimum of 7 years to be fully independant at an ALS level here, another year after that you can work the chase cars.

Uh oh Brown think somebodies location is possibly showing :D

Browns first call was a kidney pain

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief

Sprung.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Epi-do

I see dead people
I've been working for three weeks, have no losses, and two saves. Full cardiac arrest cpr, bagged, defibbed, STEMI, apparently walked out of the hospital. VTach about to be vfib, cardioverted in the back of the ambulance. I'll enjoy sitting at 100% while it lasts.

And that is why there are people like me around to balance things out and keep the statistics in line. Just over 2 years working as a medic, averaging 1-2 arrests every month until the last 5-6, when I haven't had any, and I've yet to even have pulses return, let alone someone walking out of the hospital post arrest.

As for the secondary conversation going on here - I had to have 10 unassisted ALS runs to be considered "cleared" to work on my own. However long it takes each person to get those 10 runs is how long you are precepted for, so it varies for all of us.