First Aid for Brownies/Girl Scouts

RebelAngel

White Cloud
I need ideas for things our BLS squad can do to for Brownies and Girl Scouts trying to earn their First Aid badges. I have attached the outline that the leader gave us.

I was thinking of having them cut their own cravat from bed sheets (or something) and then show them how to properly dress a small wound. Other than that and the basics of explaining things on the ambulance, and learning how to take a pulse along with maybe giving them a card with normal pulses for different age ranges, I'm at a loss as to what else to do in the stations.

Attachments

• First Aid B and GS.jpg
    First Aid B and GS.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 1,423

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Look up aha first aid course materials. That would cover what you would need to teach them. Other than that talk to them about the basics of covering and putting pressure on wounds and calling 911 when someone is hurt or ill.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
I think Luke is pretty close. First aid type stuff. Applying pressure to a wound, depending on the age, other than pulses, how to reposition someone's head to check for signs of life maybe how to hold cspine. And as stated the importance of calling 911 and staying on the line being able to tell your location.

If you're helping with all those stations, the bike helmet and common child injuries could be added to the outdoor injuries session I would think.

Eta fire drill- you could run a fire drill right before lunch if youre making it an entire day at the station otherwise right before they leave. It probably wouldn't hurt to remind employees what to do in the case of a fire. I know I haven't done any sort of fire drill for a while and I think some people tend to forget what a fire alarm means.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm so sorry-

but have you ever seen the movie "Without a paddle"?

Well the first thing that popped into my mind when I read the title of your post was "I ate a brownie once"

If you haven't seen the movie I double-apologize. Because this will make no sense.

OP
OP
RebelAngel

RebelAngel

White Cloud
I'm so sorry-

Well the first thing that popped into my mind when I read the title of your post was "I ate a brownie once"

If you haven't seen the movie I double-apologize. Because this will make no sense.
Never seen the movie but my friends are pervs so I have heard that statement before.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm so sorry-

chris-hansen.jpg

NYBLS

Forum Lieutenant
When I helped teach a class we went over the basics of hemorrhage control (including TQ application), splinting, C-spine immobilization, heat/cold emergencies, choking/hands only CPR and different carries to help get their buddy out of the woods.

OP
OP
RebelAngel

RebelAngel

White Cloud
When I helped teach a class we went over the basics of hemorrhage control (including TQ application), splinting, C-spine immobilization, heat/cold emergencies, choking/hands only CPR and different carries to help get their buddy out of the woods.

Ohhh, good idea. Maybe I will enlist help of an interior to run that area. LOL!

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Talk about burn treatments IE no home remedies like butter or other salves ( will cause more pain when scrubbed off ).

The importance of calling 911 for anyone not acting right, or when they can't wake up mom or dad etc etc.

These are really fun thing to do with these young kids

cprted

Forum Captain
I've done some first aid instruction for the Scouts and Cubs before. The Scouts actually do the full 16 hour Standard First Aid with CPR C course. For the Cubs First Aid badge, there is a list of specific requirements they have to learn to earn the badge. Talk to their pack leaders and see what the requirements are. Its kind of an odd assortment of skills, but you can weave it together into a somewhat cohesive lesson. I find if you're super efficient, you can pack it all into a 2 hour session (which honestly, I couldn't imagine subjecting 8-10 year olds to much more than that).

OP
OP
RebelAngel

RebelAngel

White Cloud
The outline I attached in my OP above is from the Troop leader.

I've done some first aid instruction for the Scouts and Cubs before. The Scouts actually do the full 16 hour Standard First Aid with CPR C course. For the Cubs First Aid badge, there is a list of specific requirements they have to learn to earn the badge. Talk to their pack leaders and see what the requirements are. Its kind of an odd assortment of skills, but you can weave it together into a somewhat cohesive lesson. I find if you're super efficient, you can pack it all into a 2 hour session (which honestly, I couldn't imagine subjecting 8-10 year olds to much more than that).