fire school

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
quick question... How long does it take to go to fire school? I have been thinking about going to fire school after medic school becuase all of the big cities, and even some smaller towns require their paramedics to be firemen. I was thinking that if I was a firemen as well, I could get a job anywhere.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
It all depends. Most places (like big cities) want you to go to THEIR fire school and you can only do that if they employ you. Volunteer fire schools don't count, for example, I'm a Suffolk County volunteer firefighter. I live 40 miles from NYC. If I wanted to be a firefighter in NYC, I'd have to be accepted to FDNY and go through their entire training program.

My fire school was *I think* 15 classroom sessions and 6 hands on.

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Some of them around here you just have to have 30 or so college hours, and then you can go through there fire academy, and some require you to be a graduate of a fire academy before employment. I was just wondering how long the academy takes.

I am going to guess that it varies, much like the medic programs. The medic program I am in take 2 1/2 yrs for degree and 1 1/2 yrs for certificate (including pre-reqs). However, you can go to dallas, and they have a basic program that take 6 weeks, and then a medic program after that which takes 6 months. I personally dont see how you can leart everything needed in 7 1/2 month.

I spent 6 months in my basic program alone, I cannot imagine cramming the medic program in that amount of time.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Your larger city services, i.e. Dallas, Ft. Worth, will send you throught their school. Smaller towns will accept a basic certification from the Texas Commision on Fire Protection, but these positions are highly competitive, most averaging 40-50 applicants per open position. Texas A-M fire school offers its 12 week program several times per year, but it is a dedicated 12 weeks, no work, no outside schooling.

You also have to ask yourself, do I want to be a fireman??? Most people do not think about it but there is a reason that many fire department based EMS services in Texas require fire certification. They want you dual trained. It is a wonderful career path to pursue, however it seems to conflict with you previous posts of wanting your RN. If you get involved in the fire service, they will want, if not demand, longevity. They are not going to spend thousands of dollars to train you if you are going to leave within 3-5 years. Some fire departments will have you complete a contract for your training, quit before their terms and you could be paying them back for training!!!

From what I've read from your posts, you seem to have a good plan; continue your education and start employment with ETMC when you are of age. Remember, your first instinct may be your best.........................Take care................

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
I plan on the RN ... Flight path.. was just kinda curious about the fire aspect as well. If I did do that, it would be way down the line... It would be more less just something else to put on my resume, and if needed, I would have it....

Im not planning on it, but if get bored later, and just feel like more schooling, its an option.. but flying is my dream, and I will most certainly be persuing that before anything else.

Maybe someone can answer a question for me... what it the average pay for a flight nurse.. how about flight medic ?????

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Flight Medics average $45000 - $60000 base, Flight Nurses $50000 - $70000. Schedule is usually 24/96 or 1-12hr. + 1 24hr. shift per week...............

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by emtbass@Aug 1 2005, 07:02 PM
I was thinking that if I was a firemen as well, I could get a job anywhere.
First we would like to you to want to be a firefighter on your own, not to get a job. We can sniff that out a mile away.

Most probie schools last between 8-20 weeks depending on the department. You can go to Community College to get your Firefighter I on one semester.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Around here fire departments require FFI and FFI, and EMT-Paramedic level before they're hire you. The exception to that is Detroit to the south and Pontiac to the north. Both those places will take FF-EMTs.

$2500 for the part time class (FF1+2) May - November
$2500 for the full time class (FF1+2) Sept - Nov (M-F 9-5)

Around here there are 200 qualified applicants for each available FF/Medic position.

You don't want to me doing fire school as a career move, you want to be doing it as a passion. You can get through EMS as a stepping stone, as a way to get to something else (Medic, RN, PA, MD, etc), but being a FF is about 100% dedication and passion.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
You really need some passion in order to continue to test for fire departments. It's not like a regular job interview. You'll see what I mean after you take the first one! :p

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by ECC+Aug 20 2005, 11:55 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ECC @ Aug 20 2005, 11:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-emtbass@Aug 1 2005, 07:02 PM
First we would like to you to want to be a firefighter on your own, not to get a job. We can sniff that out a mile away.

[/b][/quote]
I understand that being a FF takes a lot of committment and passion and love for the job....otherwise I wouldn't have got my certs.

Now what really frosts my butt is FF that feel its ok to suggest an EMT or Medic not become a FF for job purposes, when EVERY single FF in my EMT class was there only for Job purposes.

I would say being an EMT-whatever level of certification - takes the same committment, love and passion.

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by EMTPrincess+Aug 21 2005, 06:57 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (EMTPrincess @ Aug 21 2005, 06:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ECC@Aug 20 2005, 11:55 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-emtbass
@Aug 1 2005, 07:02 PM

I understand that being a FF takes a lot of committment and passion and love for the job....otherwise I wouldn't have got my certs.

Now what really frosts my butt is FF that feel its ok to suggest an EMT or Medic not become a FF for job purposes, when EVERY single FF in my EMT class was there only for Job purposes.

I would say being an EMT-whatever level of certification - takes the same committment, love and passion. [/b][/quote]
Please, allow me to defrost your butt for you! ;)

I personally believe that in order to be good at something you must have a passion for it. I have no respect for Paramedics (or Firefighters for that matter) who are on the job for the paycheck. If you need to be a Paramedic only, there are plenty of third service and many FDs out there that will welcome you with open arms. The number that will allow you to be a Firefighter only, without some EMS cert is dwindling rapidly. So you must accept that EMS is not a part of the FD, but an INTEGRAL of it!

Is your butt warming up any? ;)

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by ECC@Aug 21 2005, 07:40 AM

Please, allow me to defrost your butt for you! ;)

Is your butt warming up any? ;)
HA! That is best offer I have had in MONTHS!!!!

and

Rubbing it a little might help!! :D

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I'm so going to Pensacola for my next vacation. :p

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
OMG!! HAHAH!!

Just what I need...another Monkey on my back....but at least this one isn't all that bad looking either :p :D

emt/fr

Forum Probie
I am currently in fire school. Here in Wis the state pays for the school and is 50 hours for firefighter1 and 2 plus an additional 36 hours if you want to be certified. Certification is not required to be on a dept, but most of them require that you do so. Since the state is picking up the check might as well go.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
50 HOURS!!!! :eek: For BOTH....holy molely!!! Ours is 200 hrs for FF 1 - that includes 40 hours for First Responder!

What the heck kind of fires are Yous Guys fighting up there???

Wow...that just seems so short to learn so much information!!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
FF1+FF2 around here is about 400 hours. That includes the First Responder course.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I'm not sure how many hours ours is, but you have a choice of a 3 month program M-F or a 6 month program weekends & nights. I looked into it, because FF's here have to be EMT's and they're eventually going to mandate that -P's become fire cert'd. I wouldn't mind going through the program, but I'm not FF material. I respect the hell out of you all who do that job.

And Princess....What's wrong with you?....go for the spanking, never stop halfway ;)

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Wingnut..I was trying to Use my Feminie Charm to lure him in...you know, eye batting and all...then once he was a'rubbin...then I'd break out the big stuff!!!

LOL :D :p :D

Cap'nPanic

Forum Lieutenant
I once too thought about becoming a FF as a career move, but after talking with my uncle who is a fire chief for the local vollie squad I soon realized that would likely hurt more than help. FF takes guts, dedication, and commitment. The way he stated it is that either your committed or your not. Thank goodness he was able to talk me out of it.

-Cap'nPanic