Finally starting EMT class

kayrules5340

Forum Probie
After a few months of putting it off, my EMT-B class starts early October and ends in February 2009, after that hopefully i'll be volunteering on weekends. So don't make fun of me when I ask obvious/stupid questions.....:)

HeavyCrow

Forum Crew Member
There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers!:) Or thats atleast what I keep hearing....

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
congrats and good luck!

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
That is so great!!

No question is ever stupid.......... Awesome!! Go get em girl!!:):):)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
After a few months of putting it off, my EMT-B class starts early October and ends in February 2009, after that hopefully i'll be volunteering on weekends. So don't make fun of me when I ask obvious/stupid questions.....:)

I love it when someone in the class asks the 'stupid' question, because generally if one person isn't getting it, there are others too shy to ask the question. Its nice to see the 'aha' moment when a student gets it.

lalaneedstopass

Forum Crew Member
So don't make fun of me when I ask obvious/stupid questions.....:)

As my doctor tells me, there are no stupid questions just stupid people lol :sad:

but good luck on your class!!

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
Good luck in the class, i remember during my EMT-B class we started out with 40 students, now we're down to 15. Don't want to scare you or anything but just study, practice your skills, everything will go smooth. Treat the class seriously and make a commitment and i guarantee you'll pass.

GOOD LUCK

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
First, welcome and good luck!

Actually there is stupid questions. Never knew why anyone would say differently. We all know there is and attempt to make lame excuses by saying that there is not. If one has not attempted to answer it first themselves by reading, studying or attempting to locate it. There is a ton of information out there, and with Internet and texts it so easy to receive.

One can ask away, if they have attempted or want more clarity of an answer. Study the assignments and do a little research, you will find experienced and helpful people on the site to help you.

Again, good luck!

R/r 911

daimere

Forum Crew Member
Remember to read your chapters before class and study your skills! It will help you a lot.

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
Remember to read your chapters before class and study your skills! It will help you a lot.

Seconded!!!! Read it, highlight it, then find some poor soul you can share it with. If you can get someone else to understand what you've read, you hopefully understand it yourself :) My poor wife gets bombarded with info all day every day.....but she seems to like it B)

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
I understand where you are coming from, I just started my emt class in aug I will be done in jan. It is alot harder that i thought for sure but study study study. I have found that flash cards help a ton. Also check out emtb.com it is a huge resourse I use it everyday. We have about 60 in my class now,however I will be surprised if 20 of them make it. It seems like alot of people do not take it seriously I think that is one of the most frustrating things. Also dont give up. good luck

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
EMT Class

Good luck!

Study, and practice.... I recall EMT class never permitted enough time to practice skills learned there, so at home, I was doing "assessments" on an office chair when I couldn't get a willing subject. Difficult to get a blood pressure on, true, but other than that...

Repetition and imagination goes a long way, is what I'm saying.

...Now I'm in paramedic class... still assessing that same office chair.

Sick, sick, chair.

Later!

--Coop

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
I am learning to hit the books harder than ever, and your right it does not seem like there is enough time to practice the skills. Right now the problem I am having is my shyness. There are so many people in the class I am having a real hard time speaking up. Any thoughts on how to get over that, I think my biggest fear is looking and sounding like a bone head. I get that the only stupid question is the one not asked. I get the info I need. Just having a real difficult time with that, If I get called on the spot I know the answer but tend to freeze up.

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
I am learning to hit the books harder than ever, and your right it does not seem like there is enough time to practice the skills. Right now the problem I am having is my shyness. There are so many people in the class I am having a real hard time speaking up. Any thoughts on how to get over that, I think my biggest fear is looking and sounding like a bone head. I get that the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Hehe....my instructor guarantees that there are stupid questions and he'll be happy to point them out to us when we ask them :D

I understand the shyness factor. I had some issues at the beginning of class, but I find myself opening up more as we go. It's really helped to get to know some of my classmates: talk before/during/after class, study together, practice assessments, send emails, and hang out outside of the classroom. If you can get comfortable with the other students, it's not so bad to make a fool of yourself on occasion.....just make sure you learn from it when you do :) There are some things I will NEVER forget again thanks to opening my mouth in class!

Last edited by a moderator:

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks I will remember that lol. There have been a couple of times where I have opened my mouth and instead of inserting foot I have inserted a whole shoe store. I think that some people are not taking it seriously and that kinda bothers me. Some of them are high school students,and that is fine a few are there because they reallly want to be but some not so much. I want to tell them to shut up and listen or get out but that would be politically incorrect lol. (hence the shoe store) My instructor is great, I have learnd alot from him. Just gotta keep on truckin:)

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
csly, I didn't really start getting over my shyness until I started working. It will come. For now though, go with apa's suggestions for getting closer to your classmates.

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks, I know i will get it eventually, sometimes i just tend to be impatient. I will work on it thanks :)