Finally got the job! But feel overwhelmed.

EMTKhrys

Forum Probie
I finally got the EMT-B job that I had been hoping for. I couldn't be more excited! And nervous. And anxious. And overwhelmed. I've now worked 4 shifts as a 3rd rider and supposedly after 3 more, I'm supposed to be cut loose as the 3rd wheel and just have a partner. I don't feel ready. At all. I feel like some things haven't even been covered yet. I also have only lived here slightly over a year, so don't know the area as much as the others. What if i get lost on a call? That would be horrible. Anyone have any advice for this EMS rookie? I want to be an excellent EMT without being told what to do all the time, and also not be in the way. :sad:

OP
OP
E

EMTKhrys

Forum Probie
911. We have map books, and I went over it the other night for the first time. I'll be studying it a lot.....

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
911. We have map books, and I went over it the other night for the first time. I'll be studying it a lot.....

Learn how to use the map books accurately and quickly. As for learning the area, time is the best answer.

IAems

Forum Crew Member
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Whether its mapping, patient care, or documentation, STAY CALM! Take a deep breath and keep your head on the task at hand. Everybody's new at some point and there's just nothing to be done about that. Find yourself people that you respect (and who seem to know what they're doing) and take all the advice and help you can get from those people. Congrats on the job. Welcome to EMS. B)

feldy

Forum Captain
as for learning the area, on you off time scout out landmarks and major roads (even if its like McDonalds or a gas station especially the hospitals. And if you happen to work nights, things look different at night so get used to seeing those landmarks at night.

OP
OP
E

EMTKhrys

Forum Probie
Thanks everyone! I am trying to stay calm and plan on going around to some places in our responding area next week when I have time so I can familarize myself a little more. In the meantime, I am just trying to learn as much as I can, ask questions and review my maps and materials. I think it's just the driving around town that gets me the most because I don't know the area as well and don't want to make a wrong turn!

RanchoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I couldn't believe it, I came into work today to find out that our Trainee quit!!! She "Just couldn't do it" anymore.... Because she didn't feel she was "up" for it, She quit. Had she kept it up she would've been cleared in 2 days, Good To Go.

REMEMBER: THEY CAN'T COVER EVERYTHING IN CLASS!!!! SOME THINGS YOU HAVE TO LEARN ON THE JOB... Don't stress about it, just Do your best, Learn, Improve, Sleep, Repeat. You'll be fine. Just Don't give up when things get hard.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Wow? Quit? That's a long drive from Missouri to Southern California. (yes, I know... different people ;-) )

Remember, the first procedure at a cardiac arrest is to take your own pulse.

Euclidus

Forum Probie
Don't forget that everyone you're working with went through exactly what you're currently going through, too. You've probably heard it a million times that your EMT class prepares you for a job that doesn't exist. Stay calm, ask questions, and if you screw up own up to it, learn from it, and keep moving forward. Mistakes are going to happen; we've all made them. Wisdom comes from experience, and experience comes from messing up! Just keep learning. Good luck!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Get a gps. Faster than a map book.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
If you live in the country, sure. I've used a garmin in my area for a while now, with no issues.

To be always dependent on GPS to find your way is not cool, IMO. I get that it's super useful, but every person whose job it is to drive around in an area everyday should know the maps and be able to use them quickly.

It just takes a little practice and familiarization.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
A local fire dept that also transports does periodic tech free days to make sure everyone's up on their mapping due to some issues they were having. We shut down our CAD and mapping periodically to ensure we can still dispatch and such in case of an emergency that takes it down (which has happened). I think they're a good resource as long as you also have the ability to use a map. Batteries die, weather interferes with satellites, Etc etc.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
To be always dependent on GPS to find your way is not cool, IMO. I get that it's super useful, but every person whose job it is to drive around in an area everyday should know the maps and be able to use them quickly.

It just takes a little practice and familiarization.

I never said to rely upon it solely.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Welcome to the Circus!

For a while you'll probably feel like an actor who got on the wrong stage and is trying to use lines there from someone else's play!

That's called a learning curve. Maybe the most important part is learning not to flinch. In the beginning, most everything falls into the category of "Wow, didn't know that kind of stuff goes on!"

That includes what the professionals around you do as well.

So, at first just keep your mouth shut until you really feel you've seen enough to make comments. REALLY pay attention. Forget the GPS, you need to learn to make your brain think like a computer -- to visualize and memorize your routes and exits rather than depending on a screen outside of yourself.

All of these things fall in the broad category of your need to develop "critical thinking" in all of the phrase's aspects. This demands patience, especially with yourself.

Oh, yeah, don't know if anyone mentioned; if this doesn't turn into something fun in a few months, have the smarts to get out!

Sasha

Forum Chief
And often incorrect. Study the maps. This job requires more than the 150 hours of training you received.

Welcome to the learning curve. Study a lot.

My phone GPS has never been wrong. You press a button, speak the address or name of business/facility, it finds it for you, and gives you a picture of the house when you arrive to know exactly which one it is. It even gives you an accurate ETA based on traffic conditions.

Mapbooks beat that how?

JPINFV

Gadfly
You don't have to charge map books.

Sasha

Forum Chief
You don't have to charge map books.

Mapbooks don't automatically update and it's fairly easy to tear a page out and take longer to use.