fear of catching illness from patient

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
I have no EMS training at this point, but one thing that I have always wondered about is how often do EMS personnel catch an illness from a patient? It's something that has always made me think twice about getting into the field, but then I figure that you must take precautions and maybe I'm overreacting.

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that despite washing of hands and wearing PPE that quite a few health workers contract various diseases, but just carry it rather than showing symptoms.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
8 years in and i havent got anything yet, lets hope it stays that way

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I have no EMS training at this point, but one thing that I have always wondered about is how often do EMS personnel catch an illness from a patient? It's something that has always made me think twice about getting into the field, but then I figure that you must take precautions and maybe I'm overreacting.

If one is healthy with healthy functions and a healthy idea of what could happen without the good habits we must to have when caring for patients, there is little change of contracting anything more than the occasional cold or flu virus. And those usually come on compliments of a coworker :< (

On the not perfect side; over the last 15 years, there have been 2 cases of TB exposure from patient to EMT resulting in treatment in this area. Both are just fine today.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The reason we use Body Substance Isolation and Personal Protective Equipment is mainly to protect ourselves, and minimize disease transmission between patients. In the US, OHSA does a good job at over protecting us, that is, if we follow protocols, and take advantage of resources provided. Unprotected Exposures are rare, but sometimes do happen. With prophylaxis and prompt care, the chance of testing positive to nasties is very low.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
The fun REALLY starts when you deal with blood-borne pathogens from needle sticks...

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
My company's been on contract with a patient that has MRSA, we transport him daily. No one's gotten it yet. It's just a matter of following your training and all appropriate BSI precautions. The tools are there to keep you safe provided you utilize them correctly.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
My father has harbored an external MRSA infection once or twice, and it's bad because his body is not the best at fighting it off, so for that time when he had it minor skin breaks could turn nasty. I on the other hand, probably harbor all sorts of nasty things but I never get infections regardless of how many times I get cut, scraped, etc. I suppose it is important to remember that your patient may be at more risk from you than you are from your patient.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
there is little change of contracting anything more than the occasional cold or flu virus. And those usually come on compliments of a coworker :< (

That is all I've ever gotten. And like 99 said, it has always, so far as I know, been from my partner. To my knowledge, I have not been infected with anything from my pt. It would seem, that if you use proper BSI based on the pts condition, you won't catch anything. You don't need to mask and gown up for everyone, but if you do for those pts that require it, you'll be fine.

London Medic: I have no idea what you are trying to say up several posts.

Linuss: Thanks for the translation.

London: Punter? What the heck? Do they call them that in the hospital too?

You Brits. Lol! :)

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Infection or just colonisation?

Colonization. He would get infections when he had something break the skin, like a scratch or bug bite. They put him on a de-colonization regimen, where he had to use a special antibiotic bodywash and a few other things. It didn't look like a lot of fun.

ericcoch

Forum Probie
A while back I came across a product designed to be used at point of contact. It was safe for eyes, ears, nose, mouth, etc. Any one know the name of it?