FDNY EMS Candidates

Ryan815

Forum Lieutenant
All the guys who wanna go to fire, need to hurry up. A lot of EMTs and paramedics are talking to the union to get rid of the promotional, and keep ems and fire two separate open competitive tests.
It'll never happen...

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
It will. Back in the day they would take any EMT or medic, and they got burned, now you cannot have lateness, absent or CD,NOI on your record. Also, there's too much of a turnout with people, waste of money. You wanna be an EMT, apply. Wanna be fire, take the fire open competitive, don't use ems as a stepping Stone, two separate careers.

Hunter118

Forum Captain
It will. Back in the day they would take any EMT or medic, and they got burned, now you cannot have lateness, absent or CD,NOI on your record. Also, there's too much of a turnout with people, waste of money. You wanna be an EMT, apply. Wanna be fire, take the fire open competitive, don't use ems as a stepping Stone, two separate careers.
If that happens let's be honest there will be way less EMT's and Paramedics applying to FDNY , most ppl take Ems to join fire eventually

Hunter118

Forum Captain
If u have successful years in Ems and stay in shape I see nothing wrong with being promoted to FF if that's what u choose to do , being a FF isn't for everyone but if u have what it takes I see nothing wrong with using EMS as a stepping stone that's what makes working for FDNY so attractive the oppurtunity for promotions they will take a major hit if they rid that

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
Isn't everything at metro tech? Stair climb? And what is the physical for qualifications?

kettlebell

Rocket Surgeon
If that happens let's be honest there will be way less EMT's and Paramedics applying to FDNY , most ppl take Ems to join fire eventually

To this, I say good. If this was to cause FDNY to have such a high understaffing rate in EMS that it might be the catalyst to finally addressing the issue of EMS being treated like the red headed step child in K-Mart, I am fine with that. I would rather see better pay and a clear educational/career path into other healthcare positions, eg to medic, nurse, PA and Doc, than a promotion into Fire.

I have no problem with a person who wants to be a FF but I feel that there are waaaay too many people getting into EMS just to get into Fire. Once again, if you are an EMT/Medic and want to become a FF, kudos to you. Go for it. But right now that is the only carrot in this carrot or stick game and I would rather see more carrots for those of us who really enjoy the EMS side of things.

billwill

Forum Lieutenant
I agree fire and ems are very related and it is perfectly logical to have promo from ems to fire. Many fire calls are medical related anyways

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
A promotion is EMT to paramedic or LT.
When you get "promoted" to fire you become a CFR, its a demotion in that sense but a promotion in the sense of pay.

Ems needs higher standards, a higher pay, better benefits and a smaller turn over

Hunter118

Forum Captain
To this, I say good. If this was to cause FDNY to have such a high understaffing rate in EMS that it might be the catalyst to finally addressing the issue of EMS being treated like the red headed step child in K-Mart, I am fine with that. I would rather see better pay and a clear educational/career path into other healthcare positions, eg to medic, nurse, PA and Doc, than a promotion into Fire.

I have no problem with a person who wants to be a FF but I feel that there are waaaay too many people getting into EMS just to get into Fire. Once again, if you are an EMT/Medic and want to become a FF, kudos to you. Go for it. But right now that is the only carrot in this carrot or stick game and I would rather see more carrots for those of us who really enjoy the EMS side of things.
To that I say Ems is and probably would always be looked down upon or w.e kind of analogy u were trying to associate with it that's just how it is has nothing to do with fire if u want hire wages ect in Ems move to Canada , Ems and Fire go hand and hand regardless so the promotion would only make sense. Im sure most medics or emt's that go into school to become docs Pa's Rn's ect land good jobs for having fdny Ems on their resume

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
In my opinion, i think its a good idea to keep the promo. Because you'll always have people on the list for ems. You also get a lot of people to become techs because of the promo.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
In my opinion, i think its a good idea to keep the promo. Because you'll always have people on the list for ems. You also get a lot of people to become techs because of the promo.
But there's a high turn over every time the promo comes out. People will always go where there is a higher wage. Granted FDNY has been around 160 Yeats and FDNY ems around 20, ems doesn't have much if any history.

Both careers should be separate lists, and if you're FDNY EMT and apply for fire, should he given extra points, like military or residency.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
No where else is ems to fire considered a promo, only reason FDNY does it, is because it was an agreement of the merger and a easier way to get minorotoes, even though that didn't really work out. The ems union is now in talks of having three day work weeks , higher wages and differentials for emd, haztac etc . people are working towards ems being better and more respected, like I said, its young, it needs time. Granted, weather fire or paramedic comes first, I'll take what ever, but I do respect ems and want it to be respected.

kettlebell

Rocket Surgeon
To that I say Ems is and probably would always be looked down upon or w.e kind of analogy u were trying to associate with it that's just how it is has nothing to do with fire if u want hire wages ect in Ems move to Canada , Ems and Fire go hand and hand regardless so the promotion would only make sense. Im sure most medics or emt's that go into school to become docs Pa's Rn's ect land good jobs for having fdny Ems on their resume

I'd totes move to Canada. That place is hella nice. But is it a sad reality when one needs to move from their birth country for better pay, especially when that country is America. EMS does not need to be a low paying job nor do I feel that it is a long term career goal either without moving up into management, operations, logistic, etc. But if I am working for a city agency I should not have to pick up OT and have a second job just to make ends meet.

Hunter118

Forum Captain
I'd totes move to Canada. That place is hella nice. But is it a sad reality when one needs to move from their birth country for better pay, especially when that country is America. EMS does not need to be a low paying job nor do I feel that it is a long term career goal either without moving up into management, operations, logistic, etc. But if I am working for a city agency I should not have to pick up OT and have a second job just to make ends meet.
I agree 100% diblasio is coming up with somthing so hopefully wages would be higher , we do a tough job shouldn't get paid peanuts for it

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member

100% agree, considering this is the lowest paying city job, even a gardener gets more. Deff time for change .

billwill

Forum Lieutenant
EMS does need better pay and benefits but still you need to think about the big picture. Even though some people may use EMS as a steeping block to fire--- wouldn't the fire department as a whole rather have current employees and experienced candidates put before the other 40,000 guys who just want to be firefighters??? Don't fdny EMS deserve to be put in front of all the other who just apply and get a good exam score? I 100% agree and think the promo is a great thing

kettlebell

Rocket Surgeon
Oh and all that being said yes, I am going to accept the offer for the academy when FDNY calls. It is one of the fastest ways into the 911 game in the five boroughs. I am also taking the Medic upgrade weather through FDNY or on my own at a private school.

billwill

Forum Lieutenant
Oh and all that being said yes, I am going to accept the offer for the academy when FDNY calls. It is one of the fastest ways into the 911 game in the five boroughs. I am also taking the Medic upgrade weather through FDNY or on my own at a private school.

It's definately not one of the fastest ways, your better off just applying to some companies to get in the 911 system. Also you will get paid more if you find a private company to work for.