FDNY EMS Candidates

AronSham

Forum Probie
For EMS?
It's been yearly every August or September for several years now, so the next one should be then. You get ranked based on your experience. There is no traditional "test", you put you info in and they rank you.
Yes for EMS. Do they only look at experience, or is it comprised of other factors as well? Is it possible to have a general idea of what my score could be or do I just have to wait? Thanks in advance!

Adam Bolender

Forum Probie
got my 40 pound weight vest delivered today, My poor mailman. I am stepping up my diet change and workout routine to slim down for the PAT. I am not much of a runner so that needs to change post haste.

Conditionsboss

Forum Crew Member
Hey brothers and sisters alike, I have heard from a very reliable source that this April coming will be the last class of 5003, and that in July test 6003 will have a class. I was informed "bet all your money on being in the academy in July" I am list number 11x on 6003.. It could be wrong, but I wouldn't question what I was told by who I was told by. Good luck brothers and sisters, let's see what's in store for us all
Not saying you or your source is wrong but that is HIGHLY unlikely. They're only in the upper 300's as of now (376 I think) and although there are talks of a big april class they wouldn't finish all of 5003 for this upcoming class which has well over 1000 applicants.

Xerjak

Forum Crew Member
Yes for EMS. Do they only look at experience, or is it comprised of other factors as well? Is it possible to have a general idea of what my score could be or do I just have to wait? Thanks in advance!
If you look up the exam posting for 5003 or 6003, there should be a break down on the posting of whom they score you.

The most important factor is experience in EMS I'd say. But I had very little time as an EMT and got a low 400's rank with a score in the 70s which may be the result of having hazmat certs from volunteering as a firefighter and HIPAA experience through my doctor employer.

Adam Bolender

Forum Probie
Hey brothers and sisters alike, I have heard from a very reliable source that this April coming will be the last class of 5003, and that in July test 6003 will have a class. I was informed "bet all your money on being in the academy in July" I am list number 11x on 6003.. It could be wrong, but I wouldn't question what I was told by who I was told by. Good luck brothers and sisters, let's see what's in store for us all
And they run two classes simultaneously right a morning ,and an evening one? With 180 in each class that's 360 off the top of the list not accounting those that decline, or defer so they may get close to 400 in July alone?

Xerjak

Forum Crew Member
And they run two classes simultaneously right a morning ,and an evening one? With 180 in each class that's 360 off the top of the list not accounting those that decline, or defer so they may get close to 400 in July alone?
Im almost positive it's one class split into two tours. 180 = 90 per tour.

Conditionsboss

Forum Crew Member
No, that's for both classes combined. It used to be 120 total, 60 morning and 60 evening but now they want a bigger class so it will be more like the 180 they're talking about which would add 30 more than usual for each morning and night.

Adam Bolender

Forum Probie
No, that's for both classes combined. It used to be 120 total, 60 morning and 60 evening but now they want a bigger class so it will be more like the 180 they're talking about which would add 30 more than usual for each morning and night.
How often are the classes ran. With a number of 685 trying to figure when I will get called. I need to give notice at my current job, and try to figure the wage loss with no overtime during the training period. I am going to have to keep my night job at the hospital to be able to afford to do FDNY, but the pension and benefits are the real draw over the actual salary. 3 pensions ( 2 for me ( fdny, and from my 1199 union), and 1 for me wife) down the road is a nice way to live.

Conditionsboss

Forum Crew Member
How often are the classes ran. With a number of 685 trying to figure when I will get called. I need to give notice at my current job, and try to figure the wage loss with no overtime during the training period. I am going to have to keep my night job at the hospital to be able to afford to do FDNY, but the pension and benefits are the real draw over the actual salary. 3 pensions ( 2 for me ( fdny, and from my 1199 union), and 1 for me wife) down the road is a nice way to live.
They usually have them back to back as soon as one finishes the next one starts, like after april the next one is july and so on. But don't give your current employer notice until you are offically called for the academy, on all your letters you get from here on they will all say "this is not a promise for employment".

Adam Bolender

Forum Probie
They usually have them back to back as soon as one finishes the next one starts, like after april the next one is july and so on. But don't give your current employer notice until you are offically called for the academy, on all your letters you get from here on they will all say "this is not a promise for employment".
so 685 is roughly looking at Next January if things move as they say with 6003 starting in July.

FDHOPEFUL33

Forum Captain
That's not gonna happen, they will call all 1200 people or whatever it is on 5003 before they touch list number 1 on 6003. List number 1 on 6003 won't be touched until January 2017, September 2016 the EARLIEST. Got a lot of steps to go but they won't just skip over 900 people to call your list. Hang tight lol gonna be a while. Good luck

Mikef19

Forum Lieutenant
Not the end of the world, give me time to drop weight, and get in shape. My wife is due with our 2nd in August so give the new baby time to grow into being less dependent. I don't mind the wait, but still hope it moves fast.

Not trying to be a douche, but if you are overweight, definitely start working on dropping a bunch. When it comes to the medical, they are very strict on their weight requirements. You probably have a little while before that comes, but it would be better to get going on it now, then have to try to lose a ton of weight in a short period. Trust me as someone who had to do it.

Adam Bolender

Forum Probie
Not trying to be a douche, but if you are overweight, definitely start working on dropping a bunch. When it comes to the medical, they are very strict on their weight requirements. You probably have a little while before that comes, but it would be better to get going on it now, then have to try to lose a ton of weight in a short period. Trust me as someone who had to do it.
from what I'm told there is no weight or BMI requirement just to be able to physically do what is required for the PAT, and the PT in the academy. regardless as I said in previous posts I have made the move to start to work out to build stamina, and eat better which will in turn drop the pounds.

Mikef19

Forum Lieutenant
from what I'm told there is no weight or BMI requirement just to be able to physically do what is required for the PAT, and the PT in the academy. regardless as I said in previous posts I have made the move to start to work out to build stamina, and eat better which will in turn drop the pounds.

That is very incorrect. There is most definitely a BMI requirement. If you don't make the weight the first time you do your medical, you are given 30 days to lose the difference.

I'll give you the rundown on the process, as it pertained to me. Keep in mind, I was on the paramedic list, which is significantly smaller than the EMT list, so we moved a long pretty quickly.

March/April- Received score/list number
May- Physical agility. Make sure you have your original New York State card and license. No copies are accepted. They run through the whole thing with you in a conference room, and fill out some paperwork. Piss in a cup and then do the agility part. Something like 3 1/2 minutes or so on the step mill with the weight vest. Next is the lift with your arms scale. Basically, there is a handle attached the ground on a chain. You lift as hard as you can three separate times and they measure it. Next is the arm mill. This you kneel on the ground and pedal for I think a minute and a half against some resistance. The last is lifting with your arms. Same as the first lift, except the handle is pretty much on the ground and you lift from that. That's it. It's not too bad at all.

End of May- Intake interview. So when you leave the physical agility, you get this packet to fill out. It's basically you're entire life back to the first job you ever had, schooling, certifications, arrests, convictions, tickets. You name it, they want to know about it. And don't forget anything. Failure to disclose is a huge deal. That day you go to headquarters and go over that entire packet with your investigator. They will tell you what's missing, and what you need to get for them. You also get fingerprinted that day and need a money order for that. (A little word of advice, don't sign the back. Some people did that and they wouldn't finger print them because they had just signed a money order to themselves.) This is an interview and presentation is everything. This is most definitely a suit day. Some other things you need: detailed earnings statement from Social Security. You go to a local office, and hand over 135 bucks and they print out a list of all the jobs you've ever had, and how much you've made. A copy of your drivers abstract also isn't a terrible thing to have that day. There's a list they give you of all the required paperwork needed for that day. You need originals of everything. A good practice while going through the process is to make quite a few copies of everything. Get a binder and keep everything neat and in order.

June- Medical/Psych. Mine were w a few days apart from each other. Medical is just that, a full on physical. Blood work, vitals, vision/hearing test, EKG, chest x-ray, breathing test, TB test. If you're vitals don't fall within range, or you are over the required weight, you will have to come back. For that day if you've had any significant medical issues/surgeries, you need records of all that. The last thing you do is meet with a doctor who reviews everything. He makes the ultimate decision. Dress for that day is business casual. Psych is a 600 or so question generic psych exam. That's all that is going on for that day.

After that it was just the great waiting game. I would randomly check in with my investigator to make sure there wasn't anything else I needed, etc. But i wouldn't go too crazy bothering them all the time. Some of them get annoyed with that.

Good luck. There's a few of us in the academy now, so feel free to fire away on questions. The EMT class in now should be out in a couple weeks. I don't finish until April, around the time they're saying the next class of EMT's is going in.

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
Do we go into metro tech before the academy starts for anything ?

Conditionsboss

Forum Crew Member
Do we go into metro tech before the academy starts for anything ?
Yes, I believe you have three trips to make from when you are called to when you start the acedemy, two of which are at metrotech. First you will go to hq to get your id and fill out final paperwork (beneficiary forms, tax forms, etc.) secondly, you will go to fort totten quartermaster to get your uniforms. Lastly, you will go back to hq to get sworn in.