Expungements and NREMT

Matt G.

Forum Probie
Hi,

I recently passed my NREMT ! :D did all the procedures after, including the livescan fingerprints. In anxiousness to receive my EMT License, I receive a letter asking for an explanation and documentation about a past conviction of mine back when I was 18. So I was NOT denied, they just want to hear back from me regarding that incident.

It was a petty theft charge, where I had found a $20 gift card on the floor at a department store that I had worked at, and used it. Yeah, really stupid, I know. I went to court for it, no jail time or anything, just had to pay a fine.

After that I totally put that part of my life behind me. I know I can get it expunged. My question is should I get this expunged or will this case even make a difference to the EMT agency? Regardless I will be getting it expunged. Will the expungement matter to them?

I'm nervous about not being able to continue the path now because of something stupid in the past.

:sigh:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Have you got your official CA certication after you sent your letter of explanation?

In CA, each county certifies it EMTs. If you work in another county and apply for certification there, they may or may not accept your explanation as readily. If you can go through the process to get your record clear, you should probably do so provided you have changed your ways. Eighteen is still considered an adult, and since you are now only 21..... Stay clean!

OP
OP
M

Matt G.

Forum Probie
Have you got your official CA certication after you sent your letter of explanation?

In CA, each county certifies it EMTs. If you work in another county and apply for certification there, they may or may not accept your explanation as readily. If you can go through the process to get your record clear, you should probably do so provided you have changed your ways. Eighteen is still considered an adult, and since you are now only 21..... Stay clean!

No I haven't sent my letter of explanation yet. I was trying to get a hold of one of the EMS agency people, to explain/ask for advice over the phone before sending in the explanation letter. They are closed weekends so I am waiting until tomorrow so I can get a hold of them.

Monday I will be going to find out how to get this expunged so I can put that behind me for good. In the meanwhile I am really anticipating if I can still become an EMT or not . . .

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I definitely would handle the matter with utmost priority. In some states you are licensed and as such have the responsibility of having a clear past (stupid or not), as well as each employer will ask the same. I am surprised that it was not found during your EMT training as most now require a past history investigation before clinical scheduling.

Save yourself time and trouble and be sure to remain honest and expect to be asked if it is found.

R/r 911

MedicDoug

Forum Crew Member
Were you ever shown as "registered" on their site? Or just status "passed"

That would be the NREMT site www.nremt.org, same place you registered to take your test.

Who sent the letter asking for an explanation? Your local EMS agency or NREMT?

I doubt that your offense would keep you from becoming an EMT in California. You don't say whether or not you were convicted of anything, or how your case was disposed. You'll probably have to get a document from the court to send to the EMS agency. Whatever you do, don't ignore it... EMS agencies hate surprises, and part of the local application is to certify that there's nothing in your past that would disqualify you. Check yes, and supply the explanation.
At the agency I used to work for this might not disqualify you, although our policy stated "any theft related misdemeanor within the last five years" was disqualifying. It all depends on the case disposition. Misdemeanor? Infraction? ???

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator: