Explorer Post

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Hi, Everyone.

Sorry to have been away for so long... I just don't have time at work to visit here anymore... and I keep on putting off coming.

Anyway,

As some of you may know, I have been a Boy Scout for years, and am currently an adult leader with the local District.

There is some intrest in starting an EMS explorer post locally. I am wondering if anyone has ANY information on EMS explorer posts, and would be willing to foward me any documentation (policies/procedures, applications, etc) that they may have. my email address for this will be:

medicstudent5-explorer (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Please send me any info you can.

Thanks,

Jon

fyrdog

Forum Lieutenant
Ellington CT has had an EMS explorer post (Post 512) since at least 1982 (longer I think) the kids from the high school staff the ambulance with a teacher during the day.

Explorers are a division of the Boy Scouts of America, they can probably provide the most information. OSHA also has a lot of input too. Almost all volunteer organizations are considered employers in OSHA's eyes.

Make sure that you check your states and the federal child labor laws they apply too.

HorseHauler

Forum Lieutenant
Thats a reason I like Cadet programs a lot better...

Canoeman

Forum Crew Member
We initially established an Explorer post at our service and have gone away from the Scouts because of too many issues with paperwork, insurance, and OSHA like problems. We ended up establishing a "junoir" membership and got the kids proper insurance etc. We have had many successful outcomes with our juniors - some have gone on to be drivers, EMT's and we have two in the Paramedic program. Yes they are a handful and one person is in charge of them overall ---but after orientation, CPR and First Aid, they begin to ride and we are very proud to have them participate. They love to ride and are eager to learn. Our local schools are embrasing the program as well. We have eight juniors at this time. They range from 14 to 17 years.

Canoeman

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
I use to be an explorer with the local paramedic ambulance service and it was up to us what the rules were gonna be. The age range for explorers I believe is 14-18,and then after that they would be eligible to become advisors.

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I am VERY familiar with the BSA, and with the explorer/venturing program in general.

We already have members that are less than 18.

My main intrest right now is to see what SOP's and policies other posts currently have, to get an idea on how to put a post together for my EMS agency.

Jon

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am also very interested in the Explorer program. I am 18, and just (yesterday!!) finished an EMT-B course (state exam in July, national in August). I have never been involved in BSA, but some of my friends are. I am wondering if departments are expecting me to become involved via a scouts program (or junior staff program), or whether I can just apply for a job. I am taking a year off before college (partly to get my feet wet in EMS), and I really do just want to jump in.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
DES

fyrdog

Forum Lieutenant
There are different benefits to having a cadet program and an explorer program. Usually the explorer programs are looked at as education and "May" be exempt from some of the labor laws, but not always. I still think your best bet is to contact the BSA for guidance.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
I am also very interested in the Explorer program. I am 18, and just (yesterday!!) finished an EMT-B course (state exam in July, national in August). I have never been involved in BSA, but some of my friends are. I am wondering if departments are expecting me to become involved via a scouts program (or junior staff program), or whether I can just apply for a job. I am taking a year off before college (partly to get my feet wet in EMS), and I really do just want to jump in.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
DES

After the age of 18 you can no longer be an explorer,you could find out about becoming a junior advisor to the group.

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Actually, BSA "Learning For Life" considers 14-20 youth members... it is only when you turn 21 that you are adult.

My service has always allowed junior members (16+)... I think the idea is to actually recruit youth intrested in EMS/Healthcare, and then perhaps get them to volunteer... but I think an explorer post would be additional to what we already have.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
I think that it is a good idea jon cuz then that way the 14-16 yo groups can have a chance to get alil taste of what it is like before they go any further cuz you never know who has a thing against bein around blood and guts and body fluid,so yeah,I would say with the explorer post as well.