Expected Salary??

a13b13

Forum Probie
I've been filling out some job applications, and I've seen several ask what my salary expectation is. I'm just graduating college and this will be my first EMT-B job in California Bay Area. I've seen the mean salary is around $16 for EMT-B, does this seem accurate? I really have no idea what to put here...Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I think he isn't asking what wage he should bargain for, but what he should put down for expected hourly rate or yearly salary.

This can be a little tricky to answer.

Most new EMTs don't realize that there are two types of ambulance services, 911 response and non emergency interfacility transfers (IFT). Obviously a lot of people become EMTs to do 911 response. 911 response is very desirable and difficult to get onto. 911 response typically pays better than IFT. Unfortunately, most people probably start off doing IFT, which usually pays low.

The hourly pay rate can change significantly depending on if it's 911 response, your schedule, and if you have daily overtime.

Example. There is company that pays about $12.75/hour if you work 24 hour shifts averaging 56 hours a week. It pays about $17.25/hour if you work 12 hour shifts averaging 48 hours a week. There is another ambulance company that pays about the same yearly, but they do 12 hour shifts averaging 42 hours a week and pay about $20.39/hour. $12.75/hour, $17.25/hour, and $20.39/hour obviously are dramatically different, but they end up making the same at the end of the year (about $47,000/year).

Daily overtime is if the company pays a 1.5x your pay after 8 hours and 2.0x your pay after 12 hours. Weekly overtime is a company that pays 1.5x your pay after 40 hours of regular pay per week. I really should be doing the math for the week, but I am too lazy to do that right now. I am just gonna say that somebody that makes $11.50/hour, works 12 hours, and has daily overtime will make the same per day as somebody who makes $13.41/hour, works 12 hours, but has weekly overtime. The math is probably a little bit off because I am not considering the overtime that would be obtained weekly if they average 42 or 48 hours a week.

I worked for a company that paid $12.75/hour, average 40 hours a week, and had only weekly overtime. I made way more working at the company that paid me $11.96/hour, average 42 hours a week, and had daily overtime. Even though $12.75/hour > $11.96/hour when compared side by side, the $11.96/hour job paid more really.

Can you see why it is so difficult to say what the hourly rate should be?

I would guess that the reason the website said $16/hour is probably because it is averaging the hourly rate between all the companies and not taking into consideration that most of the EMTs probably work for a company that pays less than that.

You are most likely applying to or will get hired onto an IFT company that pays about $9-$12/hour (I am guessing $18,000-$31,000/year) versus a company that does 911 response that probably pays about $15-$21/hour (I am guessing about $36,000-$47,000/year).

Here is a link to three links that list the ambulance companies in the San Francisco Bay Area and kinda repeat the same info I mentioned here about IFT vs 911. I am pretty sure I have commented on which ones do primarily IFT and which ones do 911.

http://emtlife.com/threads/paramedic-jobs-in-northern-ca-bay-area.40500/#post-561098

Good luck!

Last edited:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
On paper applications I always put "Open" or "Open for Discussion". If completing an electronic application and it requires a number, I would place either a "1" or "1000"....either way they know that is not an accurate number, I know it is not an accurate number and it leads to the preferred discussion during the interview--if negotiating is an option.

However, most private services have an established pay scale and you will get what they offer, they are not in the position of negotiating cause there are 1000 people behind you waiting on that slot. Any government job will also have set salary schedule...so truth of the matter is no matter what you think you are worth, unless you can razzle dazzle them with years of experience that they desperately need (unlikely), blow their socks off with superb customer service and new client acquisition (again needed but unlikely they need you for this), or find that rare employer who cares and will give stepped wages due to your impressive experience or character...you get what they offer, take it or leave it.